Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

low pressure tire sensor

Old 07-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default low pressure tire sensor

my sensor shows low pressure but all tires are fine.
am having problems with the spoiler: it goes up without me doing anything and does not come down.
i was suggested that the low pressure tire sensor may be somehow connected with the spoiler circuit too.
has this happened to some 1?
thanks

Last edited by phil alvirez; 07-11-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: low pressure tire sensor

Originally Posted by phil alvirez
i was suggested that the low pressure tire sensor may be somehow connected with the low pressure tire too.
I think I know what that was intended to say.....

Our cars are OLD. The original tire pressure sensors are on their last breath - the batteries are expiring. If they expire, the light will come on as the light means any of the following:
  1. Tire pressure in one or more tires is too low.
  2. Tire pressure in one or more tires is too high.
  3. One or more tire pressure sensors is not reporting.

The tire pressure monitor system is not on the CAN bus, I can't think of a link between the TPMS and the spoiler.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-07-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:03 PM

thanks for the advice. knowing this, now i will try to find another posible source of the failure.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

The TPMS light on my 2007 Coupe came on probably 2 weeks back right after I was pulling away from filling up with gas. I'm convinced it is a wheel sensor gone bad (weak or defective sensor battery). Will most likely take it to nearby Discount Tire store & let them troubleshoot - identify bad wheel sensor & install replacement. Thought I might have all 4 wheel sensors replaced while there, but have decided to address these failures when they occur instead. No need for me to pay for a complete 4-wheel balance job until I have to.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
The TPMS light on my 2007 Coupe came on probably 2 weeks back right after I was pulling away from filling up with gas. I'm convinced it is a wheel sensor gone bad (weak or defective sensor battery). Will most likely take it to nearby Discount Tire store & let them troubleshoot - identify bad wheel sensor & install replacement. Thought I might have all 4 wheel sensors replaced while there, but have decided to address these failures when they occur instead. No need for me to pay for a complete 4-wheel balance job until I have to.
Beware in taking our cars to places that cannot reset the light with a DRBIII dealer only tool. They waste a ton of owners money and time by saying they can "do" a Crossfire TPMS relearn. Then they learn the truth and make you pay anyway. I addressed mine during tire replacement. I did the research, (see my sig file for post) bought the correct replacement sensors from the tire shop who put them on and nothing more. Then I drove to my dealer who did the TPMS relearn for 1/4 hour labor and off I go, no light.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 07-11-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Best to change TPMS sensors before the battery dies. Most shops can transfer information from old sensor to new sensor. Once the battery dies this can no longer be done. You have to then program sensor from scratch.
I got lucky my tire shop took my car to another shop that had the old Chrysler DRB to perform this for my one dead sensor. I do not put on many miles, My tires will be changed because of age. I will change my sensors at that point also before batteries die.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wadsworth
Best to change TPMS sensors before the battery dies. Most shops can transfer information from old sensor to new sensor. Once the battery dies this can no longer be done. You have to then program sensor from scratch.
I got lucky my tire shop took my car to another shop that had the old Chrysler DRB to perform this for my one dead sensor. I do not put on many miles, My tires will be changed because of age. I will change my sensors at that point also before batteries die.
"Most shops can transfer information from old sensor to new sensor."
True if buying clone-able sensors.

If you install pre-coded sensors you need to place the car's computer into relearn mode thus DRBIII to do that.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM

tmps 101
as i have this light telling me there is something with my tire(s), i would like to learn about the sensors.
is there a link? if so please send it.
also whatever you know or can bring will be interesting to hear.
thank you all, great guys!

Old 07-17-2019, 12:19 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

tmps 101
as i have this light telling me there is something with my tire(s), i would like to learn about the sensors.
Phil - Do an Advanced Search and type "TPMS Sensor" in quotes under KEYWORDS just as I typed it. You'l get quite a bit of information regarding the TPMS sensor & system from previous owners experience.

Later,

Old 07-17-2019, 02:48 PM

tmps 101
See my signature file...

Old 07-17-2019, 04:11 PM

terrific!
thank you very much.
a wealth of input

Old 07-18-2019, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Just remember, it is a "Tire pressure monitor" not a "Low tire pressure" monitor.

It goes off on pressure that is too high as well. The "acceptable" range is, I believe, about 28 to 36 pounds.

I've not had TPMS since 2015 so I cna't remember, the SE and other Base models do not have TPMS.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:56 PM

understood.
thanks

Old 08-21-2019, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After finding places on google I was surprised the sensors have a cable. Just curious but where does the end of the cable go? And why I'm at it, can I assume the sensor is inside the tire?

I'm really not up for what appears to be more than a pain in the ****, I'm getting my 2007 Ltd. coupe ready to put on BAT (Bring a Trailer). I want to be able to say everything is working. Thus the need.

How would you suggest I go about it to get it done the easiest way. But hopefully not dealer time/costs. One dealer had my car two weeks to replace the (recall) steering wheel air bag.

How do you test for the faulty wheels sensor?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:13 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BibaResto
After finding places on google I was surprised the sensors have a cable. Just curious but where does the end of the cable go? And why I'm at it, can I assume the sensor is inside the tire?

I'm really not up for what appears to be more than a pain in the ****, I'm getting my 2007 Ltd. coupe ready to put on BAT (Bring a Trailer). I want to be able to say everything is working. Thus the need.

How would you suggest I go about it to get it done the easiest way. But hopefully not dealer time/costs. One dealer had my car two weeks to replace the (recall) steering wheel air bag.

How do you test for the faulty wheels sensor?
You have been on this forum for six years snd you have to ask about the tire sensors?
Shame on you.
What wire?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Just remember, it is a "Tire pressure monitor" not a "Low tire pressure" monitor.

It goes off on pressure that is too high as well. The "acceptable" range is, I believe, about 28 to 36 pounds.

I've not had TPMS since 2015 so I cna't remember, the SE and other Base models do not have TPMS.
No TPMS is what you get when you get the basic model. 😉
I think the monitor is just to show low air pressure, I have had them over 40 psi with no light, but the car has sat there and not moved when the light came on because of a low pressure.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Hi everyone,
I am new to this TPM issue. My TPM light came on today. I checked the tire pressures and the two rear tires were low (27 psi). The front tires were 32 psi. I aired up all tires to 33 psi. The TPM light is still on. Do I need to drive the car to reset the light or do I need someone with the correct OBD-II tool to reset the TPM system? Also after reading through the many replies and many comments I saw something about the monitors on each wheel using a magnet. Is it possible to put a magnet near each Schrader valve to isolate a bad sensor? Sorry for all the questions but the TPM system is new to me. Thanks for any information.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Hi everyone,
Like I said in the above post, I am new to a TPM issue. I started the engine twice since I aired up all tires to 33 psi. After the second start the TPM light went out. Maybe the system is working as it should. Only time will tell.

Has anyone seen the procedure listed below? Has anyone completed the procedure to turn off the TPM light? Did it work without affecting any other system on the Crossfire?

https://howtune.com/articles/134-dis...sler-crossfire

Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbirdtony
Hi everyone,
Like I said in the above post, I am new to a TPM issue. I started the engine twice since I aired up all tires to 33 psi. After the second start the TPM light went out. Maybe the system is working as it should. Only time will tell.

Has anyone seen the procedure listed below? Has anyone completed the procedure to turn off the TPM light? Did it work without affecting any other system on the Crossfire?

https://howtune.com/articles/134-dis...sler-crossfire
It works with no side affects.
I recommend buying an aftermarket TPMS to make the car legal. Draw back is it looks like the on-valve sensor is big and obvious. It will extend beyond the rim and presents an issue if you curb any wheel. The up side is you won't be taking the car to a dealership where you are risking the car in more than one way; including them not being successful. I made the mistake of trying to clone a key at a dealership. They failed and to top it off they left the hood unlatched. I had to stop a quarter mile from their store and latch it back up.
BTW, my 04 is listed as a Base model and it came with the TPMS.

Last edited by g wheels; 10-22-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 10-22-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by g wheels
It works with no side affects.
I recommend buying an aftermarket TPMS to make the car legal. Draw back is it looks like the on-valve sensor is big and obvious. It will extend beyond the rim and presents an issue if you curb any wheel. The up side is you won't be taking the car to a dealership where you are risking the car in more than one way; including them not being successful. I made the mistake of trying to clone a key at a dealership. They failed and to top it off they left the hood unlatched. I had to stop a quarter mile from their store and latch it back up.
BTW, my 04 is listed as a Base model and it came with the TPMS.
There was only one model in 2004 with the choice of auto or manual transmissions and both came with the TPMS, the base models came out the next year and the same car as the 2004 model became the 2005 Limited model it was identical except the auto dimming rear view mirror was omitted.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-22-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: low pressure tire sensor