Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Is using the Steering Damper BAD???

Old 05-28-2018, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is using the Steering Damper BAD???

I would like to propose an item for discussion-

While replacing the damper, I noticed that the steering damper is a shock absorber that connects the frame of the car to the steering gear. This means that the function of the damper is to reduce the vibrations and increase the weight of the steering. This will make the steering feel heavier and more sporty, but will also lower the amount of feedback you get from the steering system.

Could using the steering damper be part of the reason why the steering feels so lifeless on this car?
I have done this instead: completely REMOVE the damper. I then used Red Line ATF type-F high viscosity ATF fluid to replace the standard power steering fluid. The system works great, and I can now feel the texture of the road in the steering wheel! Perhaps the weight of the feel is lighter than with the damper, but its reflective of the actual steering system so I think I can live with it.

For reference, I am not a car mechanic but an electrical engineer. My previous car was a Miata so I have a good reference point for responsive steering .

Anyone else have ways other than the damper to improve the actual responsive feel of the steering system? I am thinking some way of reducing the power steering system boost via an underdrive pulley, or possibly a change of the pump valve?

-slipton