Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Suspension squeaks

Old 01-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Suspension squeaks

Okay before I take apart my front suspension i am curious if any one else has had this issue. So about a month ago i noticed a small squeak when i turned my wheel, no biggy i thought and then it got worse, it sounds like those junked out ford ranger/explorers from the late 90's and early 2000's. I have the noise narrowed down to the passenger side in the front. It now happens any time i turn or go over bumps. kinda annoying and slightly embarrassing in such a nice looking car.
any help would be awesome!
thanks guys/gals!

Old 01-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Re: Suspension squeaks

Originally Posted by mr.peebody_2011
Okay before I take apart my front suspension i am curious if any one else has had this issue. So about a month ago i noticed a small squeak when i turned my wheel, no biggy i thought and then it got worse, it sounds like those junked out ford ranger/explorers from the late 90's and early 2000's. I have the noise narrowed down to the passenger side in the front. It now happens any time i turn or go over bumps. kinda annoying and slightly embarrassing in such a nice looking car.
thanks guys/gals!

Might check the steering stabilizer/dampener. These tend to go out often. Mine was completely shot and was making a slight squeak.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds a little farther towards the wheel side of the suspension instead of the frame/subframe

Old 01-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this sounds a little farther towards the wheel side of the suspension instead of the frame/subframe
Could be any number of things like upper or lower A frame bushings or a dry upper or lower ball joint or a dry outer tie rod end. The best way to find out is too take small cribb blocks or jack stands , jack the car up place the blocks / jack stands as close to the lower ball joint as you can get them and set the car down on them that will unload the suspension, remove the front tires for better access , have someone start the car and turn the steering wheel from side to side while you listen , first on one side and then on the other, use a really long screwdriver like a stethoscope to locate where the squeak is coming from, listen to each part of the front end until you find where the squeak is. That's the way I've done it in the past and it's worked pretty good, I hope that helps you and good luck.
PS; be sure you use extra cribbing blocks under the jack pads of the car you can never be too careful.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

thanks guys/gals!
If you had said just bumps I would have thought of the shocks, but turning as well? Rod ends or stabilizer bushings I'd guess.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-05-2016 at 09:24 AM.