Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Clicking noise when turning steering wheel (no issue with steering stabilizer)

Old 09-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Clicking noise when turning steering wheel (no issue with steering stabilizer)

Hi everyone! Hope you all have a great weekend so far. I am having a XF weekend and have done the paddle shift mod just now. Awesome!

Anyways, i switched my steering stabilzer a month or so ago in order to try to get better steering. Never the less, it feels spongy and I hear a hard clicking noise sometimes when pulling the wheel from side to side. Both with engine on and off so I guess it is not the servo steering.

Any ideas why spongy and that clicking sound? Could it be bad tie-rod ends?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clicking noise when turning steering wheel (no issue with steering stabilizer)

I've got the same issue, almost sounds like jingling when turning the wheel slightly from side to side. Hopefully someone else knows more.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Received 502 Likes on 428 Posts
Default Re: Clicking noise when turning steering wheel (no issue with steering stabilizer)

Hey guys, I read a post here a while back that indicated the stabilizer bolt/pin holes were a slightly different size and it was causing a type of clunking noise. Have you checked the play in both ends?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 AM

Hi, it occurred with my original stabiliser. So i switched mine to a new oem. Same thing...

Old 09-05-2012, 04:29 AM

Powersteering failure?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
Hi everyone! Hope you all have a great weekend so far. I am having a XF weekend and have done the paddle shift mod just now. Awesome!

Anyways, i switched my steering stabilzer a month or so ago in order to try to get better steering. Never the less, it feels spongy and I hear a hard clicking noise sometimes when pulling the wheel from side to side. Both with engine on and off so I guess it is not the servo steering.

Any ideas why spongy and that clicking sound? Could it be bad tie-rod ends?
hey might try some lock washers on the stabilizer if you think that's where it coming from, I had mine replaced withe no problems. another thing i would try is jacking the front of the car up with both wheels off the ground and always use jack stands for safety and see if you have any free play by moving the wheels up and down and side to side by hand for any free play and you might get your answer there and also do it with the steering wheel too, well good luck and hope this helps you out

Last edited by amatxcrossfire; 09-05-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hey guys, I read a post here a while back that indicated the stabilizer bolt/pin holes were a slightly different size and it was causing a type of clunking noise. Have you checked the play in both ends?
Doubtful. Installed it myself and there is no play in the bolts, nice and tight.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM

Check out and the the clicking noise comes even if I pull the steering from one side. Not rocking it. Just from one side and the clicking noise still appears. Any hints?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Forum Regular

I had (have) the same issue. I had new tires installed and wanted to have an alignment done. The mechanic said it couldn't be done because I needed new front wheel bearings. He told me the first clue was that "clicking" sound when he turned the wheel to the left and confirmed it once the car was on the lift.

My next post will bear a bearing question

Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by FUBU
Check out and the the clicking noise comes even if I pull the steering from one side. Not rocking it. Just from one side and the clicking noise still appears. Any hints?
it is possible its a wheel bearing. do you hear the noise while driving at different speeds? did you jack the car up and check for play in the wheel? spin the wheel once you have it jacked up and see if you can hear the clicking sound, the only way to tell for sure.If you find that the bearing is bad you will want to get it fixed asp!