Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

What brake dust?

Old 06-26-2010 | 10:29 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: What brake dust?

I bought a can of the stuff today. As a test, I applied a coat over the driver's wheels and left the passengers side with just a coat of Liquid Glass wax. I also cleaned the wheels inside and out to reduce the amount of dust that could find its way to the painted wheel surface.

My problem is I only drive the car a few times every month. I wonder if the application still effective if the car is sitting idle for a loooong time?

Last edited by spotsbimmer; 06-27-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2010 | 10:52 PM

The best intentions and proper preparation didn't save me from slight ruin
I wanted to give this a try as the brake pads are in very good shape as is brake dust and don't want to put Rotex on yet.
Washed the wheels well but then choose to take them off (read between the lines...Gary took the wheels off for me). I carefully put them in the grass and scrubbed all of the dust on the inside off that I couldn't reach with wheels on the car. Everything is going along swimmingly. Then rolled them to the drive to drip dry and finish dry with soft cloth. At this point you should have picked up on the slight change in the realm of possibility...
I am a nut about keeping this car nice. I taped off both sides of the first tire, good so far. Put the first wheel, which was ready to be sprayed, aside then start on the next one with.....
BANG or CRASH (which every you most prefer)
I prefer "oh ****, son of a b!t@h, no really, oh @%#& me!" Not only did the wheel fall, it was face first onto the concrete. It could have chosen to fall the other way, onto the grass, but no it is a sick puppy and has a death wish.
Now we have a repair job. Not just one spot, no there are 2 places that look like I took a cheese grader to them and 3-4 more that look like I tried to grate them but didn't do a very good job of it. The afternoon job of a couple of hours turned into all day. Needed the wheels back on the car to put it in the garage too. Have all of the wheels sprayed with the protectant (the irony of it all, the stuff didn't protect my wheel) except the face of the suicidal one. That one will need to be touched up and then the face sprayed. At that point who cares about taping it off, get the spray out and blast the thing.

I'm grateful that the wheels are OEM. I'm grateful that we are able to fix things.
If this is the worse of my troubles I am blessed.
Matching paint: Testors has one that is real close, anyone remember the code/color?

Edit found the post with the Testors info:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post218457
thanks Pat

Last edited by Rapps; 06-26-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2010 | 11:59 PM
Forum Regular

The same thing happened to me. Only i saw the wheel tipping over and dove face first and stuck my hand under the tire. It felt like my hand got smacked with a hammer but i saved it .

Old 06-27-2010 | 12:51 AM
Forum Regular

Bummer I know how that felt, it's a sick feeling indeed.

Here's probably the best match you'll get for your wheels:
CLICK HERE
Wurth Silver Wheel Paint, you have to get the clear coat as well.

Originally Posted by Rapp's
I wanted to give this a try as the brake pads are in very good shape as is brake dust and don't want to put Rotex on yet.
Washed the wheels well but then choose to take them off (read between the lines...Gary took the wheels off for me). I carefully put them in the grass and scrubbed all of the dust on the inside off that I couldn't reach with wheels on the car. Everything is going along swimmingly. Then rolled them to the drive to drip dry and finish dry with soft cloth. At this point you should have picked up on the slight change in the realm of possibility...
I am a nut about keeping this car nice. I taped off both sides of the first tire, good so far. Put the first wheel, which was ready to be sprayed, aside then start on the next one with.....
I prefer "oh ****, son of a b!t@h, no really, oh @%#& me!" Not only did the wheel fall, it was face first onto the concrete. It could have chosen to fall the other way, onto the grass, but no it is a sick puppy and has a death wish.
Now we have a repair job. Not just one spot, no there are 2 places that look like I took a cheese grader to them and 3-4 more that look like I tried to grate them but didn't do a very good job of it. The afternoon job of a couple of hours turned into all day. Needed the wheels back on the car to put it in the garage too. Have all of the wheels sprayed with the protectant (the irony of it all, the stuff didn't protect my wheel) except the face of the suicidal one. That one will need to be touched up and then the face sprayed. At that point who cares about taping it off, get the spray out and blast the thing.

I'm grateful that the wheels are OEM. I'm grateful that we are able to fix things.
Matching paint: Testors has one that is real close, anyone remember the code/color?

thanks Pat

Old 06-27-2010 | 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rapp's

thanks Pat
Tried this site? AudiWorld Tech Articles

Old 06-27-2010 | 02:16 AM

Thank you gents....I will get the paint and follow the sites instructions how much fun can a girl have?

Old 06-27-2010 | 03:22 PM

CAA WHEEL TEST RESULTS

Wheels didn't look too bad after the drive to the CAA GTG. Couple of the forum members saw the wheels before I washed the car at Franc's place and we all agreed they looked pretty good after 1500+ miles.

However once home the wheels were fairly dirty. Could it be that the "protectant" washed off? Did notice that the clean up seemed to go a little easier. Will continue to use the remaining portion of the product but don't think I'm sold on it.

Old 06-27-2010 | 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
CAA WHEEL TEST RESULTS

Wheels didn't look too bad after the drive to the CAA GTG. Couple of the forum members saw the wheels before I washed the car at Franc's place and we all agreed they looked pretty good after 1500+ miles.

However once home the wheels were fairly dirty. Could it be that the "protectant" washed off? Did notice that the clean up seemed to go a little easier. Will continue to use the remaining portion of the product but don't think I'm sold on it.
Hi tighed1 ..... Try to wash it off and go without for about a month ..... then try it again ..... I bet you find it to be much, much better with it. I feel that until something else comes along, our finish on the wheels will be better longer, when we have OEM brakes ....... I know .. get Rotex Golds and the problem will be solved to a point. But some people (like me) just don't have the $$$ to "fix" the problem and replace perfectly good brakes. I think it does mention in the directions, that reapplication is suggested after washing. Just my $.02

BTW .... nice meeting you at CAA. Are you sure it's not because your car is BLUE.......

Old 06-27-2010 | 06:27 PM

I have about 500 miles on my chip foose speedster chrome wheels with the product on it and I am impressed. With factory brakes this stuff is a miracle for $8. I was skepticle using this on chrome but once it dried it look perfect. The wheels look great and I am happy to have read this post. This is a cost effective solution.

Old 06-27-2010 | 07:04 PM
|

I posted earlier that it does indeed wash off and need to be reapplied. It is a good product and does what it says. It never claimed to be permanent. It sure does beat the dust buildup when not treated.

Originally Posted by tighed1
CAA WHEEL TEST RESULTS

Old 06-27-2010 | 10:01 PM
Forum Regular

Sprayed it on my front tires before CAA trip,checked when I got back to OKC (1215 miles).
Passenger side had a few clumps of dust and some film, drivers side looked very good no clumps at all some haze. Carl, I think you found something. Much cleaner after so many miles. I will happily continue to use it.
Joejet

Old 06-27-2010 | 10:41 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

[quote=Rapp's]

For 2006 Chrysler added the wheel paint as Crossfire Satin Silver # XZA as found in the following link: http://www.mopar.ca/en/accessories/p...nt%20Guide.pdf

Old 06-28-2010 | 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
I posted earlier that it does indeed wash off and need to be reapplied. It is a good product and does what it says. It never claimed to be permanent. It sure does beat the dust buildup when not treated.
That explains why they were pretty dirty when I got back.
Gotta find the bottle so I can re-apply now that the car is clean again.

Old 07-04-2010 | 10:02 PM
Forum Regular

In an earlier post I said I was going to just do one side with the new Armor All spray.

Well, I finally took the car out today and drove up to the wine country in Napa, perhaps 80 miles round trip. Afterwards, I couldn't see much difference between the left and right wheels. The left had been waxed and Armor All treated while the right side simply waxed. I'm guessing the stuff does help but it's not a huge difference from a fresh coating of wax.

Any new results with this stuff out there?

Old 07-04-2010 | 10:47 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs down Re: What brake dust?

oops! wasn't worth me posting it twice.

Last edited by spotsbimmer; 07-06-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: double posting
Old 07-06-2010 | 09:11 AM
Forum Regular

never tried wax , i guess for me it would take too long ..lol

i posted a while back, when i saw the add

Re: Brake dust - 05-08-2010 , 09:07 PM

well laugh if needed , i still have the stock pad's

found that the armorall wheel protector spray works great.

Armor All - Product Detail

Last edited by huudoo; 07-06-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2010 | 05:56 PM
|

Finally made it back from CAA on Monday (July 5th). Have been doing a LOT of sleeping after the 4500 mile trek.

Just wanted to post a picture of the wheels after the last 500 miles and 5 days of local driving.

It doesn't really show on the picture, but the front wheels are shinier than the rear (they were not treated). There are a few little "clumps" of brake dust on the fronts, but nowhere like what they would be if they had not been treated.

Anyone who has tried this product and could not see the difference, is just not doing it right or has a bigger problem than brake dust on their wheels. LOL