Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Basic facts on Auto brakes

Old 10-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Basic facts on Auto brakes

If anyone is interested in learning some basics and not so basic information about auto brakes and brakes in general they should visit the following site.
Car Bibles : The Brake Bible

Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Basic facts on Auto brakes

Alot of good info on that page thanks for the link

Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Forum Regular

Great information. The only thing I don't agree with is the comment about the drilled rotors. Years ago, people used to have a machine shop drill the stock rotors. This was a poor practice due to the rotor never being designed to operate in that modified mode. Today's higher quality rotors that are engineered with the end result being slotted and drilled are tough as nails for any street application. As far as the better drilled design, I believe the ones that are chamfered are better due to not having a sharp edge transition to each hole for the pad to contact. Many, many cars today have drilled rotors. In fact, at the last Cars & Coffee event in Dallas exhibited at least 50% having drilled or slotted or both on a wide range and types of cars. Many came from the factory this way and many performed the swap. I am not referring to the Kevlar rotors on the exotics necessarily. To each his own but you can't beat the awsome looks and these rotors transform you cars appearance to a whole different level while being safe at the same time.

Last edited by SRT-6 Steve; 10-11-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Basic facts on Auto brakes

really alot of data there including the oil bible. thanks Woody

Old 10-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

thanks thatis great info. jim

Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Great information. The only thing I don't agree with is the comment about the drilled rotors. Years ago, people used to have a machine shop drill the stock rotors. This was a poor practice due to the rotor never being designed to operate in that modified mode. Today's higher quality rotors that are engineered with the end result being slotted and drilled are tough as nails for any street application. As far as the better drilled design, I believe the ones that are chamfered are better due to not having a sharp edge transition to each hole for the pad to contact. Many, many cars today have drilled rotors. In fact, at the last Cars & Coffee event in Dallas exhibited at least 50% having drilled or slotted or both on a wide range and types of cars. Many came from the factory this way and many performed the swap. I am not referring to the Kevlar rotors on the exotics necessarily. To each his own but you can't beat the awsome looks and these rotors transform you cars appearance to a whole different level while being safe at the same time.
Cross drilled rotors will still see microcracks when driven hard on a regular basis. Slotted rotors don't typically have this problem. But, slotted rotors can be a bit harder on pads as they can act as a cheese grater of sorts.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Banned

Being new to the Crossfire, I read (and see) that front wheel brake dust is a common gripe. Can I also conclude that Rotex Gold pads are the obvious solution?

Also, what is the approximate cost to go to the lengths of new drilled rotors, and why would I want to do that?

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bluedog
Being new to the Crossfire, I read (and see) that front wheel brake dust is a common gripe. Can I also conclude that Rotex Gold pads are the obvious solution?

Also, what is the approximate cost to go to the lengths of new drilled rotors, and why would I want to do that?

Thanks.
Try Brake World for the pads. They are far better than the original but still create some dust. The rotors are personal preference and you are perfectly fine with the stock rotors.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM

I know this topic has been posted all over the forum..brake dust... I just so happen to be reading here..
I don't know if you folk have see the TV commercial for EAGLE ONE " Keep Clean". It suppose to be derived from the " elephant ears" plants chemicals. I've been using it now for about 3 months and I have to say I'm not impressed at all.
Set up - 2005 Roadster (base). Stock pads and rotors. I tend to wash my daily driver 2x maybe 3x's a week and I'm - like most - in a battle with the dust from the pads. I had high hopes that the use of the Eagle One product would help.... I see VERY little difference in the brake dust and road grime from when I didn't use the product.

Anyone else try this product ? Anyone have a different experience ?

Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM

I put Rotex Gold pads on the front. They create far less dust than stock.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last weekend I put on Disc Italia titanium kevlar pads and have not had any noise or dust in a week HOORAY!!