Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Are Winter tires okay for driving year-round?

Old 07-08-2009 | 09:03 AM
|
Default Are Winter tires okay for driving year-round?

Alright, here's the deal and my question..

I have the opportunity to buy a new set of wheels for approx. $600. They're the kind of wheels I want and they come with tires. My car needs new tires, bad. Real bad.

They come with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires. I won't have enough money to buy new wheels / tires, just one or the other. Winter is coming up, but will winter tires be okay for driving year-round on them? I don't care if they're winter tires or not, I don't drive like a crazy person (anymore).. just will they be loud or something?

I'm looking for a real quiet ride..

Old 07-08-2009 | 09:08 AM
Default Re: Are Winter tires okay for driving year-round?

They will probably be louder, whatever that means, because of the tread pattern, but tolerable, after all you ride on them when the streets are dry in the winter. The biggest loss you'll see is that they wear much more, rendering them useless by your second winter on them. The performance overall will suffer too, but if your're not pushing hard at any time then I fail to see that it would be that noticeable.

Old 07-08-2009 | 09:23 AM
|

Ah, looks like I won't be getting those then. I'm looking for tires to last me..

Thanks a lot for the quick response

Old 07-08-2009 | 09:32 AM

I know nothing about these specific tires, just speaking of winter tires in general....

I would not recommend driving on winter tires year round for several reasons. First and foremost - performance; you will hate those tires everytime you try to take a sharp turn. They will wear at a rapid rate in the higher temperatures as well. And the ride will probably be a little more forgiving since the sidewall is not as rigid as a high performance summer tire, but again, I do not think you will like the louder, more sedated feel of the car.

IMO.

Old 07-08-2009 | 10:15 AM

I would say that when you say you need tires real, real bad; you mean you need REAR tires real bad.

Look online, I'd be willing to be that you could have two new rear tires mounted for $300 an then you could have your winter tires for winter...

...you can offset that cost by offering the seller of your wheels less for their wheels/tires...

unless its someone on the forum...give them what they want . kidding.

Old 07-08-2009 | 02:25 PM

I'd get the wheels. Take the nobbies of your new wheels and mount them on your old wheels for winter. Put your old tires on the new wheels and try to squeeze half a season out of them. That would buy you some time so that over the winter you could get some new summer tires. Those nobbies would suck in the summer but as I recall it snows some in Michigan. They'd come in real handy then.