Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Originally Posted by ijaved
Ok I am sure the answer is yes (no harm in asking right) but I have 05 Crossfire Coupe NA will this part be good for it as well.?
Yes it will.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ijaved
Ok I am sure the answer is yes (no harm in asking right) but I have 05 Crossfire Coupe NA will this part be good for it as well.?
Yes.......

Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Yes it will.
Originally Posted by D.J. Spreeman
Yes.......
Thanks both of you.

I ordered two just to be safe LOL Chrysler said it was $210 Canadian and Merc said it was $100ish. I paid $66 with shipping to Canada for 2.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular

New Mercedes Steering Damper 190D 190E 260E 300CE 300D 300E Fits Mercedes | eBay

Hope it's decent.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM

Ordered mine through Joe TLC! Tracking number in hand says it will be here tomorrow! Will post the results after it's installed.... $33.75 shipped....

Edit: arrived today! Car is 8 years old with 50k miles. Probably needed it. Going on this weekend!

Edit #2: installed it today. The old part was OE and still seemed fine. Oh well.... Easy job and certainly didn't hurt.

Last edited by rtcarlin; 03-10-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 AM

Hi, Im in UK so will source this part & fit. I also have a little bit of play on my track rod ends and have been told by Chrysler UK that you have to but the whole centre drag with ends attached rather than individual track rods. Do you know if this is true? any help appreciated.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Forum Regular

I just replaced mine yesterday. Car is a 2005 with 49k The old one is just as tight as the new one. I feel no difference at all. So, I guess the lesson is; check out your old one before you buy, and install a new one. FWIW

Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 AM

Replaced mine a couple of days ago. I went to the Mercedes dealership that is just 5 minutes from my house for convenience and to purchase a Mercedes factory part. Well, they stocked Stabilus as an OEM replacement - so I would recommend just ordering the Stabilus brand from the best vendor you can find.
Can't say I've noticed much difference so far, but my original damper had an oil leak that I found when I removed and inspected it - so it was just a matter of time....

Here's a pic of the original and the Stabilus replacement from Mercedes:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Steering Damper.jpg (928.2 KB, 419 views)
Old 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Forum Regular

Was in in a MB box. P/N?

Old 07-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
Was in in a MB box. P/N?
It's probably the same p/n 124 463 04 32 that's on the stabilizer.

Last edited by robby363; 07-07-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular

I know that one pn is from mb and the other chrysler. Some what surprised that Stabilus /MB used two part numbers and that Stabilus was the OEM supplier.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by arejohn
Was in in a MB box. P/N?
It was not in any box. It had a large shipping tag on it where it had been shipped in bulk to the Mercedes dealership. If you look at the picture I attached, the replacement Stabilus part seems to be the OEM supplier, since the Mercedes logo is stamped on the part next to the MB part number.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Forum Regular

I looked at that mark and never really saw it.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM

I just replaced mine this morning after seeing this thread the other day and ordering one. I always thought it was just the nature of the beast to be twitchy over bumps but boy was I wrong! It took all of 20 minutes to swap out the new stabilizer and all I can say is WOW! The steering is much tighter, I drove around for 30 minutes hitting every bump and groove I could find and I couldn't be happier. Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!

JOETLC.COM experience:

I bought my stabilizer from joetlc.com; they overcharge for shipping ($17!) and changed to a cheaper shipping carrier without notifying me first. I had to email them to get a partial refund on shipping because I can't stand companies being dishonest and making a profit off shipping costs. But it did get here quick and seems to work well.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 PM
PNA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by live2drive
I just replaced mine this morning after seeing this thread the other day and ordering one. I always thought it was just the nature of the beast to be twitchy over bumps but boy was I wrong! It took all of 20 minutes to swap out the new stabilizer and all I can say is WOW! The steering is much tighter, I drove around for 30 minutes hitting every bump and groove I could find and I couldn't be happier. Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!

JOETLC.COM experience:

I bought my stabilizer from joetlc.com; they overcharge for shipping ($17!) and changed to a cheaper shipping carrier without notifying me first. I had to email them to get a partial refund on shipping because I can't stand companies being dishonest and making a profit off shipping costs. But it did get here quick and seems to work well.
How many miles are on your car? Just curious because my stabilizer seems to be fine and no symptons with "twitching".

BTW - if you are in northern Virginia, I hope you will be able to come to our Crossfires of Maryland Car Show. A short / nice drive to the Linganore Winery in Mt. Airy MD. It's being held on August 10th. We had a great turnout last year and are hoping for even more this year. Food, wine, DJ, Kettlcorn, awards, etc. etc.

Here's a copy of our flyer.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Your choice between Meyle or Stabilus. Either one comes with free shipping.

Link: Search for '1244630432' | FCP Euro

DOH! Just noticed I posted same last Sept.

Last edited by syfi; 07-11-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 AM

I have around 107k miles on mine . By being "twitchy" I meant everytime I hit an above average sized bump in the road the car would jerk to one side or the other as well as requiring constant adjustment while driving in general to keep it straight. The stabilizer fixed both of those issues. Thank you for the invitation, I'll certainly consider it.

Edit: my previous stabilizer was caked with tons of residue and after removing it I felt a huge difference between the resistance of the two. The used one had uneven resistance as well as having less resistance overall than its replacement. That's why the steering is so much tighter and smoother following its replacement.

Originally Posted by PNA
How many miles are on your car? Just curious because my stabilizer seems to be fine and no symptons with "twitching".

BTW - if you are in northern Virginia, I hope you will be able to come to our Crossfires of Maryland Car Show. A short / nice drive to the Linganore Winery in Mt. Airy MD. It's being held on August 10th. We had a great turnout last year and are hoping for even more this year. Food, wine, DJ, Kettlcorn, awards, etc. etc.

Here's a copy of our flyer.

Last edited by live2drive; 07-11-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by PNA
I thought the same thing when I switched the one on my previous XF at 30K, but figured for $30 and all the rave reviews I would see if it changed anything. Made the car feel a lot tighter and more predictable, I now change it every 10K or so and can tell a difference when I do...

Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Made the car feel a lot tighter and more predictable, I now change it every 10K or so and can tell a difference when I do...
Installed a new steering damper today. On the drive up to & back from Carlisle, XFire was a little "wishy-washy" regarding steering feel. Car does seem much more sensitive & responsive after changing out the steering damper. Like others, it's a $20-$25 part and probably falls under routine maintenance every 20-30k miles. For me it's a task performed every 2-3 years. Car is nearly 6 years old (ODO turned over 14k on trip to Carlisle) and this is the 1st swap-out of the stabilizer.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 07-17-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Installed a new steering damper today. On the drive up to & back from Carlisle, XFire was a little "wishy-washy" regarding steering feel. Car does seem much more sensitive & responsive after changing out the steering damper. Like others, it's a $20-$25 part and probably falls under routine maintenance every 20-30k miles. For me it's a task performed every 2-3 years. Car is nearly 6 years old (ODO turned over 14k on trip to Carlisle) and this is the 1st swap-out of the stabilizer.
Understandable, but with my damn near fully adjustable suspension and ultra stiff springs coupled with aftermarket rubber a little wider than most, my car is not typical. Since I race on occasion, it is the cheapest part I can replace with the best return on investment. I am sure mine gets a little more wear than most. I am glad you do not have to replace yours often, but it makes a difference for those trying to get the very most from these cars IMHO...

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.