Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

I'm wondering why everyone is ordering from Joeltc...i just got the OEM part from Autohaus for $35.89 shipped. Also i could have gotten free shipping if i ordered 2, which would have been ~$50 for two stabilizers. Not sure why you would go aftermarket, especially considering the people that have said the OEM parts are far more resilient. Just figured i'd chime in...

Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular

I shop our Vendors first.
Autohaus might be missing an opportunity.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Great fix!! Steering increased and that annoying clunk around turns went away.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered mine today! Changed it on my old N/A and it really helped the steering.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought the Stabilius (approx $26) from AutohausAZ a few weeks ago. Added cabin air and engine air filters for our other vehicles to get over $50 for the free shipping deal. The damper must have expanded a little and/or was handled roughly during shipping because it poked a hole in the corner of its shipping container and was released back into the wild. All I got was an empty box. Fortunately, the folks at AutohauzAZ are quite reputable and they sent out another one which arrived safely.

Installation of the new damper suggests that my original was still good. I didn't notice any change. I'll keep the old one as a future replacement. Then again I only have 21K miles and evenly wearing original tires on it - DOB September 2003. I think I might even spring for new tires next summer.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Why does AutohausAZ not even list the steering damper under Crossfires? I found the part under the '04 SLK 320, but why isn't it listed both places? I have a fear of being crushed by my car so I've been trying to find a shop, but nobody can even find the part.

Does anyone have the time to give me a pep talk about how my car won't fall off the jacks and kill me if I do it the right way?

Last edited by Kickerinthehead; 08-21-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kickerinthehead
Why does AutohausAZ not even list the steering damper under Crossfires? I found the part under the '04 SLK 320, but why isn't it listed both places? I have a fear of being crushed by my car so I've been trying to find a shop, but nobody can even find the part.

Does anyone have the time to give me a pep talk about how my car won't fall off the jacks and kill me if I do it the right way?
I actually just drove up on ramps to change mine out. Then I put some jack-stands under it just encase... and a 3 ton jack... I am always afraid of being crushed by a car haha.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kickerinthehead

It's not a big deal, one of the easiet things to do it's about as difficult as changing a tire.

First try to be on level ground and put a piece of wood or block like a 2x4 in front of and behind the back tires to lock the car in place & then just jack up your car one side at a time using the proper jack points provided just under the rocker panel you will see a couple of pads to use to jack up. Put in a jack post on a nice solid part of the frame and let the jack down on it and then repeat for the other side. Jus make sure your Jack posts are on a solid surface and if you are on an a driveway you care about or asphalt throw a piece of plywood under the jack post so it doesn't sink or make marks in your driveway.

You will quickly be able to see the 2 bolts you need to remove to get at the stabilizer and as per previous posts in this thread you need to turn the steering wheel a bit to access teh one bolt.

When I did mine it took me less than 20 Min. from start to finish.

Read the previous posts and there is lots of info on where to find the parts and part numbers etc. & yes it's best to shop for the part as a 2004 SLK part as it is lss cost and easier to find.

There's your Pep talk - good luck.

Steve

Last edited by stevedask; 08-22-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced mine after 101k miles, definitely feels a bit meatier and has a better on-center feel. Now if I could only figure out where that jingling from my steering column is coming from....

Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Cheapest price I've seen for a Steering Stabilizer

Just seen today on FCPEuro...

Meyle 1244630432A

Mercedes Steering Damper - Meyle 1244630432A | FCP Euro

MSRP $45.25 (You save $27.15)
Our Price: $18.10

They also have the Stabilus 1244630432

Mercedes Steering Damper - Stabilus 1244630432 | FCP Euro

Our Price: $32.44
This item qualifies for Free Standard Shipping With an order size of $25. On all domestic orders.

As inexpensive is the Meyle, you could actually replace it at every oil change!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM

I was reading the tire discussions on here and saw a few people talking about how the rear end felt like it was going to "break loose." I have 112k on my car, about 30k on current tires, and am starting to sense that same thing. It's been a bumpier ride lately, not just steering wheel vibration. The car feels nervous, as others have described. Does the damper help out with that? Or am I better off doing a bit of an overhaul with new shocks and tires in addition to the damper?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 PM

Replaced mine yesterday at 36,000 miles--HUGE difference. Drives like a new car! Feels much tighter and more stable or bumps. Also has significantly reduced the play in the wheel. Easy install! Took 30 minutes.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Great tip. Thanks for the post. I hadn't really thought about this thing since it is the only car I own that has one - of course we do still have that great "regurgitating" ball steering box!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Just replaced my steering stabilizer at 50,000 miles. Very easy fix, it took longer to jack up the car than it did to replace the part. Took it down the road for a test drive, and it drove like new money. Just got my crossfire a month ago, and all I can say, this is a great car. Thanks to all the knowledge on the forums it will allow me to fix lots of problems very easily.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nickd27574
Just replaced my steering stabilizer at 50,000 miles. Very easy fix, it took longer to jack up the car than it did to replace the part. Took it down the road for a test drive, and it drove like new money. Just got my crossfire a month ago, and all I can say, this is a great car. Thanks to all the knowledge on the forums it will allow me to fix lots of problems very easily.
Cool! It IS an easy fix. Welcome to them forum!
DJ

Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM

I just had my dampener replaced due to a sizable leak. It was $240.00 at a local shop with the part coming from Chrysler at $160.00. I have about 30,000 miles on 2004. I live in Lynchburg, VA
Bob

Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by loumas53Yahoo.com
I just had my dampener replaced due to a sizable leak. It was $240.00 at a local shop with the part coming from Chrysler at $160.00. I have about 30,000 miles on 2004. I live in Lynchburg, VA
Bob
did you touch the ground with both hands or just hold your ankles ?
Those are $19 and require about 3 minutes to replace ....
( http://www.joetlc.com/steering-dampn...opmlfs5e1ivg82 )
All you need to do is jack the car up on one side, don't even have to remove the belly pan
2 bolts, bada-bing, bada-boom..

Last edited by ala_xfire; 01-17-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by loumas53yahoo.com
i just had my dampener replaced due to a sizable leak. It was $240.00 at a local shop with the part coming from chrysler at $160.00. I have about 30,000 miles on 2004. I live in lynchburg, va
bob
wowzer!!!!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 AM

When I first read this thread I asked my wife if her car was steering a little strange. She said it would jump or move for no reason. I said OK, I will try something. Ordered the new one got the ratchet and wrench out and in no time she was test driving and said it was so much tighter, felt much better to drive. Hers had maybe 22K on it, we hadn't owned it very long. This is an easy R&R and for me to say that it really is. jack it up a little turn the tires and do it. Instant and cheap improvement. Wonder how long the replacement part will last? Probably not very long since there seems to be a million of them on the aftermarket. Try it you may like it. Don't forget your jack stands. :-)

Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
did you touch the ground with both hands or just hold your ankles ?
Those are $19 and require about 3 minutes to replace ....
( Steering Dampner Mercedes e 320 400 420 500 e 129 210 - JoeTLC )
All you need to do is jack the car up on one side, don't even have to remove the belly pan
2 bolts, bada-bing, bada-boom..
Ok I am sure the answer is yes (no harm in asking right) but I have 05 Crossfire Coupe NA will this part be good for it as well.?

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.