TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Oil Change - VFAQ

Old 04-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change - VFAQ

I took the time to document the oil change process on the Crossfire.

Here is a link to the page I drew up this evening:

Crossfire Oil Change V-Faq
http://www.dfwsbr.com/crossfire/faq/oil

Along with other related documentation:

Fluid Capacities - Updated List
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...pic.php?t=1269

If anyone finds anything that needs to be corrected, please PM me. I'll fix it, rather than flooding this thread.

*FAQ Updated*

Old 04-02-2004, 02:44 AM

Excellent work.

Thanks loads, great pics!

Old 04-02-2004, 02:19 PM

Thanks, at over $100 for an oil change I might go back to my old habits, i.e doing it my self. Especially since I don't trust the Service Dept. not too many X-Fires arround here.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed the oil on mine for the first time today.I have a drive on lift in my garage that makes things easier.I put some pics in my album.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:57 PM

What exactly is the "**** button"?

Old 06-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by XethW
On the dash, you have two of them. One is on the right side which sets your clock. The one on the left resets trip odometer, service reminder, and checks oil level.

Old 06-01-2004, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
Originally Posted by XethW
On the dash, you have two of them. One is on the right side which sets your clock. The one on the left resets trip odometer, service reminder, and checks oil level.
Ahh, OK I know what you're talking about now. Dankeshe (or whatever).

Old 06-05-2004, 11:30 AM

Someone address the oil change problem-did first at 3500 miles as you all suggested-when is the next one due-manual no help.

Old 06-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Forum Regular

The scheduled service for this car is every 7,000 miles. I did my first one at 5,000 as I felt 7k is a long time to go with out an oil change. During the oil change process, I found the oil I removed at 5k still had some life left in it.

Since you did your first one at 3500, do the next one at 10,500.

Old 06-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adam... please correct me if I'm wrong. The owners manual does not gspecifyh any mileage for service intervals that I could find. That is the function of the FSS. Each time the FSS is reset it defaults to 7,000 miles. Thereafter the condition of the oil is analyized by the FSS sensor in the oil pan which in turn indicates how many miles are left before service is due. It could be on either side of the 7,000 mile mark, depending on the condition of the oil.

As of today my car has been 4,492 miles since the last oil change at 5k. The FSS shows I have 3,700 miles till the next service. That brings the interval between services this time around to 8,392 miles for my car.

There have been threads on the issue of oil change intervals in the past. Some folks opted for 3k, 5k, or 7k. 8.3k as indicated on my car could be considered by many as being too high and it may very well be. I donft know. However it is my belief that as long as you follow the schedule as indicated by the FSS in your car, the dealer can not void any warranty for lack of scheduled maintenancec you are after all following a computer generated maintenance scheduled based on the condition of your oil.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Forum Regular

Well the system is supposed to "calculate" when it should be done. However, if you are going to rely on it, it must be reset after each time the car is serviced.

I have noticed inbetween each 1000 mark, the system doesn't hold true to the 7k difference. Once you get back to the 1000 range, be it 5k, 6k, etc. It will once again display closer to 7,000.

Make sense? I think 7k is fine because the car holds 8.5 quarts of oil.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
Well the system is supposed to "calculate" when it should be done. However, if you are going to rely on it, it must be reset after each time the car is serviced.

I have noticed inbetween each 1000 mark, the system doesn't hold true to the 7k difference. Once you get back to the 1000 range, be it 5k, 6k, etc. It will once again display closer to 7,000.

Make sense? I think 7k is fine because the car holds 8.5 quarts of oil.
Agreed and thanks... I make a point that the FSS gets reset.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular

this reminds me about a couple of things...

1. One was the guy with a dodge that changed his oil and kept sending it in for analaysis every 3,000 miles to see when he really needed to change it... Around 50,000 the report showed the oil breaking down...

2. Also reminds me of a friend I know that use to be in the millitary. He said they changed the oil filters, not the oil. They just added oil.

I am not sure on the synthetic oils we use these days. My last vechicle used synthetic transmission fluid and the synthetic part broke down a couple of thousand miles early (I thought I had a tranny problem but they had a TSB that the synthetic fluid may have broken down early).

due to this I will wait my 7000 miles and do my change then...

-marc

Old 06-08-2004, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by drunkiq
this reminds me about a couple of things...

1. One was the guy with a dodge that changed his oil and kept sending it in for analaysis every 3,000 miles to see when he really needed to change it... Around 50,000 the report showed the oil breaking down...

2. Also reminds me of a friend I know that use to be in the millitary. He said they changed the oil filters, not the oil. They just added oil.

I am not sure on the synthetic oils we use these days. My last vechicle used synthetic transmission fluid and the synthetic part broke down a couple of thousand miles early (I thought I had a tranny problem but they had a TSB that the synthetic fluid may have broken down early).

due to this I will wait my 7000 miles and do my change then...

-marc
This reminds me of many cars over the years that I have witnessed.

The poor customer was under the impression that oil changes were BS.. or in some cases- just simply added oil- never changed it.

In any of the cases- $4000-$10000 (depending on car) later and a new engine installed at 20,000 miles- not covered under warranty- and they were on their way.

Simple lesson: change your oil often. Its cheap, its simple, and your engine depends upon it.

(PS there is a 2.7l in my shop NOW that has succumbed to this fate! HE CHANGED HIS OIL EVERY 10000 MILE.. until 60k was on the car.. sorry- no warranty!)

Old 06-08-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jamikest
(PS there is a 2.7l in my shop NOW that has succumbed to this fate! HE CHANGED HIS OIL EVERY 10000 MILE.. until 60k was on the car.. sorry- no warranty!)
Unfortunate for that guy...but Chrysler can't void your warranty for following their electronic system's recommendations!

Old 06-09-2004, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
...The FSS shows I have 3,700 miles till the next service...
How do you tickle the FSS into showing how many miles are left that far in advance?

Old 06-09-2004, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by SeaXfire
Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
...The FSS shows I have 3,700 miles till the next service...
How do you tickle the FSS into showing how many miles are left that far in advance?
Start the car, press the left button next to the odometer twice.

Old 06-09-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns
Unfortunate for that guy...but Chrysler can't void your warranty for following their electronic system's recommendations!
Exactly. (the car in the above quote was not serviced with synthetic)
So- 3k-5k-7k? Or just follow the recommendations...

Old 06-09-2004, 06:38 PM

Exactly. (the car in the above quote was not serviced with synthetic)
So- 3k-5k-7k? Or just follow the recommendations...
I just looked at mine this morning. At 5286 miles, FSS says 2800 remaining. My guess is that the sensor is really sophisticated, but synthetic oil probably doesn't "break down" so to speak in a linear manner, so I think I'll try to check it every couple hundred miles and see if the FSS countdown starts to get faster as the miles build.

At one check while I was in the 3,000 mile range FSS was saying I had over 6,000 remaining, so apparently the sum is decreasing as I drive. Either that, or I'm being harder on my oil lately :wink:.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:10 PM

If I get the new filter thru the dealer does it come with the O rings mentioned???

Quick Reply: Oil Change - VFAQ