TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 06-04-2020, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

My turn:

2005 roadster. I had it sitting for about 4-5 days last week then went to start it. It would crank but not start. After about 10 minutes it finally did and I drove it around as normal. Tried it again the next day and it fired right up but while driving it after about 10 mins the engine died while driving it right in the middle of the road.... Luckily again after about 10 mins after trying to start it, it finally did and I drove directly home. Since then its started but stalled a few time and now it just wont start at all.
Ive replace the Crankshaft position sensor and solder the 3 rcm points and still cranking but no start. One thing of note. I disconnected the battery to install the crankshaft sensor and when I went to reconnect it the alarm immediately goes off and does every time now and the FOB doesnt lock or open the door. I had to pull the alarm fuse to stop it. And ideas or suggestions?? This forum has been a great help in the past so its always my first stop. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

i was concerned regarding the alarm going off at the worst time so i disconnected it.
i read this somewhere:
"you can unplug it. Mine failed and the batteries inside it leaked and destroyed the circuit board. I actually removed it and drove the car for a year without the alarm / siren installed. I had no issues. . You need to remove the windshield wiper arms and plastic cowl. Easy to do but you may need a puller to remove the wiper arms. There is a procedure available on this forum. Look through the area where all of the procedures, troubleshooting help, and data information is located. Hope this info helps."
i ended up installing 1 of those bars that lock the steering wheel. see this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t-devices.html
just an idea. it may be the solution too.

Last edited by phil alvirez; 06-05-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by phil alvirez
i was concerned regarding the alarm going off at the worst time so i disconnected it.
i read this somewhere:
"you can unplug it. Mine failed and the batteries inside it leaked and destroyed the circuit board. I actually removed it and drove the car for a year without the alarm / siren installed. I had no issues. . You need to remove the windshield wiper arms and plastic cowl. Easy to do but you may need a puller to remove the wiper arms. There is a procedure available on this forum. Look through the area where all of the procedures, troubleshooting help, and data information is located. Hope this info helps."
i ended up installing 1 of those bars that lock the steering wheel. see this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t-devices.html
i hope this is the solution.
I cannot see the connection between the RCM and the alarm siren.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:37 PM
Received 430 Likes on 378 Posts

I would also try replacing the RCM or send it to tighed tighed1@hotmail.com, for rebuild . It might be bad relays. I personally replaced mine and sent the old one to tighed for rebuild and kept it for a spare.

The following users liked this post:
Guitarb (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 07:41 PM

My local junkyard has manual 2006 on it lot. Can I go pull that and try it in my 2005? I was thinking if that worked then yeah I could send mine off and roll with that one in the meantime.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:51 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarb
My local junkyard has manual 2006 on it lot. Can I go pull that and try it in my 2005? I was thinking if that worked then yeah I could send mine off and roll with that one in the meantime.
Yes, you can swap RCMs. You can also check if yours is operating correctly like this.

Open the RCM. Turn the key to the ON position. Two of the three middle relays (engine and traction relays) should stay engaged.
The third middle relay (fuel) should engage for 2 seconds when the key is first turned to the ON position. Then after 2 seconds, it disengages.

If not, you found the problem. Email me to get it fixed.

The following 2 users liked this post by tighed1:
Guitarb (06-04-2020), zip439 (06-07-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 10:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!!!!!
Wife's roadster died the other day at a light, she got it re-started and got home ok. Just checked the RCM and just exactly as described, 4 out of the 6 pins had the telltale cracks around them. Had to use my 10x loupe to see them, but they were there. Got them good and hot to re-make the joint, with an extra dab of solder after the first solder wetted.
Got to love this forum...Thanks to all,
smallfry

Old 07-18-2020, 10:49 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, just checked my coupe (which is two years newer and a lot less miles)....5 out of the 6 were cracked all the way around, and the 6th was starting to crack. Only took me half the time on this one, lol.
Thanks again,
smallfry

Old 07-18-2020, 12:20 PM

Always carry a spare.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:13 PM

I have an 07 Crossfire. I’m told the RCM needs repair or replace. Can’t get any codes as there’s no response. what do I do? Who fixes these things?

any help

thanks

John Sara

Old 09-01-2020, 01:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsarajr
I have an 07 Crossfire. I’m told the RCM needs repair or replace. Can’t get any codes as there’s no response. what do I do? Who fixes these things?

any help

thanks

John Sara
DJ Tighe ... I think on here his name is tighed1.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjsarajr

any help

thanks

John Sara
John, email him :tighed1@hotmail.com

tighed1 (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:02 AM

Still fixing them!
As janaly noted, email me at tighed1@hotmail.com for repair details.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not good at explaining exactly things but the ISSUE is soldering connections in the RCM. The factory did a terrible job on them and thy crack making the issue of mystery no start !! Buy a inexpensive soldering iron and pull out the RCM and there are I think 3-4 larger posts that are the issue!! It ll look for a photo and there is also another person on here that helped me!! Never had the issue again!!! Hope this helps!! OH and a new one will do the same thing!!! The above answer is the one i used!!perfect fix!! Member
tigh1 or sticky have it on there answer

Last edited by cobra1951f; 09-01-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Member stickey: offers great photo walk through!! From tighed1

Old 09-01-2020, 10:32 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra1951f
Member stickey: offers great photo walk through!! From tighed1
Here is the sticky, CLICK.
Sometimes it is not the solder that causes trouble but burnt contacts on one or more of the relays, you could replace them yourself but you need to know how to do it and be confident doing it.
If not the get tighed1 to do it for you.
You can buy a new one for somewhere around $130 from RockAuto, I think that is a good idea and then you carry the spare in the trunk, I find that if you carry a spare you will never need it, but if it is at home or you do not have a spare you will find that one day you will need it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-01-2020 at 10:43 AM.
tighed1 (09-01-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 06:09 PM

New to the forum, but the consensus with the group is that I have an RCM problem. I have a 2005 Roadster that has been having problems starting ever since I towed it home from Austin on a trailer. Anti towing alarm went off first, then after having the transmission repaired I had it jacked up for oil change. After that I couldn't get it to start. That is when I got on the forum and asked a few questions that led me to getting the RCM repaired. Do I just mail it and a check to you, or is there anything else?
I still haven't leak checked it after the oil change. It's just gathering dust in my garage. Thanks for your help. You can email me at ebuz7497@gmail.com or phone @ (409) 7797007.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:16 AM

Emailed you ebuz7497. 😊

farinacci-net (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:51 PM

I own a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire (coupe) limited, my mechanic just told me that the RCM needs to be replaced. He told me that he had soldered it but it won't hold for too long. What other options do I have? Do you know if Chrysler has a recall for it already?

Old 12-11-2020, 01:26 PM

They don't recall 15 year old vehicles. There is a member here that repairs them and replaces the relays. he in DJ Tighe. Use the search feature in the top RH corner of the forum.

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)