TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

LOL! Sup Rudy!
I'll do ya a "Me so Horny" if you do me a "Top Down with one Pushy"!

LOL!

I won't say what I'm think'n; just a bad mental picture is all!

To funny!

Stay safe...

Respectfully,

Paul (MisterTaz)

Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Life saver!! Thanks so much for the write-up! Went ahead and did the "Me So Horny" mod too! I feel like it could be a safety issue not having your horn while the car is off. What if you had to alert someone for numerous reasons of something while in your car but it wasn't on...

Anyone ever notice current draw while the car was off? Just curious as to why they wouldn't have this feature..

Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 PM

I am still having problems starting after the fix. But not nearly as often. At first it was perfect again. I used good solder and have an Engineering background, so there's no chance its my solder job. Anyone else still have problems after fixing the outlined joints in the images?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by drivethruecp
I am still having problems starting after the fix. But not nearly as often.
Symptoms?
Crankshaft Position Sensor perhaps?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Exclamation re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

OPEN POSTING TO ALL CROSSFIRE OWNERS!!!

1000 THANKS TO TIGHED1 FOR REPAIRING MY RCM BOARD!!! After failed diagnostics at 3 repair shops (all with the crossfire/mercedes chip on their VDP computers) I found tighed1's fantastic description of the problems with this Relay Control Module. It appears that MB recalled these RCM units years ago, and told Chrysler about it, but Chrysler chose not to recall them (Mercedes SLK forum). The weak solder joints seem to circumferentially separate from the solder pad over repeated expansion/contractions, and now after ~6 years they are breaking in this hot weather.

After following tighed1's GREAT How-to on the repair, and suspecting that I had not done a clean resolder (see my user name!), tighed1 told me to send my RCM to him, he sent me a good one from his Crossfire, and re-repaired my solders.

OK - here's the idea. In addition to paying tighed1 for his incredible help (I had to convince him to take anything for this!!) I am also sending him $$ toward purchasing a "Loaner" RCM unit so that others can make use of this arrangement. Basically you contact tighed1 when you can't figure out why you get no crank when you try to start the car (but all the other electric components come on). He sends you the loaner, you send him your RCM. He fixes yours, you try the loaner to make sure that's the problem, and you re-send these back to each other. You pay the shipping costs (and please send him something for his generosity and time ).

To do this, maybe the 20 or so people who have already sent him their RCMs could send him some money to help us as a group buy 1-2 new RCMs for loaners??

Again - kudos to tighed1 for being the kind of Mensch that makes the world an easier place to cruise through!!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM

I am still having problems starting after the fix. But not nearly as often. At first it was perfect again. I used good solder and have an Engineering background, so there's no chance its my solder job. Anyone else still have problems after fixing the outlined joints in the images?

Anyone have any insight? Thanks

Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Anyone have any insight? Thanks
Symptoms?
Engine turns over or does not turnover.
Lights, codes etc.
Otherwise it's like telling your doctor "I'm ill" and nothing else.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Symptoms?
Engine turns over or does not turnover.
Lights, codes etc.
Otherwise it's like telling your doctor "I'm ill" and nothing else.
Should have better clarified. Its just like before I fixed it. No codes though. Just sometimes it hesitates on turning over or I have to try once more. I do currently have the fan blower resistor module problem as well. However its just when the car is on. I would say it was that if the fan was running when the car is off. I just am worried about my car not starting at all one time. Hasn't happened yet, but why find out the hard way.

It just doesn't start right away as it should. I did confirm a cold solder joint on the RCM at the points in the pictures and re-soldered them. It was 100% for the next couple days, but that again the problem was intermittent to begin with. Hope this clarifies. Anything else I can check. I do have the original battery and have 45k

Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

I took a chance and pulled a RCM out of my car and sent it to Dan so he could get back on the road as the XF is his only car. I told Dan of my dream of having a community RCM at the ready to send to any other member that requires the same type of assistance.
Dan has graciously offered to provide some of the funds towards me purchasing a community RCM.
I provide the RCM repair service for the price of a beer but am willing to add to the cost of a community RCM if I can get some assistance from other members.

Anyone have a spare RCM or willing to help in the purchase of a community RCM?

Who knows, maybe YOU will benefit from this some day!

Thanks! Here to help!
DJ

Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tighed1-- I to have benefited greatly from your generosity. I'll start by mailing you $10 to get the ball rolling. Thanks Again, Larry Also it was great to meet you at CAA in June.

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 07-20-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Done, on the way.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 AM

When Mercedes recalled the RCM did the MB part number change? I have found 2 part numbers for the RCM on the forum:

A1705450303

&

A1705450305

I would have thought the second one (ending 05) would be the newer fault free version - anyone have any ideas on this?

I'm going to order a new RCM through the stealership using the Chrysler part number, but they don't really seem to have a clue on availability. It's cheaper to get one through MB and more readily available on either part number - just need to know which is the right one!

I am happy to donate the old RCM for use as a community one - I'm UK based though so you'll have to wait a while to recieve it - let me know if you're interested.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Black03AR
When Mercedes recalled the RCM did the MB part number change? I have found 2 part numbers for the RCM on the forum:

A1705450303

&

A1705450305

I would have thought the second one (ending 05) would be the newer fault free version - anyone have any ideas on this?

I'm going to order a new RCM through the stealership using the Chrysler part number, but they don't really seem to have a clue on availability. It's cheaper to get one through MB and more readily available on either part number - just need to know which is the right one!

I am happy to donate the old RCM for use as a community one - I'm UK based though so you'll have to wait a while to recieve it - let me know if you're interested.
You must have money to burn, why buy something that's not needed?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 AM

Well, I use my car everday, and I'm sure the RCM is the cause behind my P0410 fault code issue amongst other things. Gotta get it sorted! Just need to know the right part number.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Well, I use my car everday, and I'm sure the RCM is the cause behind my P0410 fault code issue amongst other things. Gotta get it sorted! Just need to know the right part number.
Just got the RCM in part # A 170 545 03 05 05 (yes, there is an extra 05 at the end)

AND

As far as I can tell, it is drop in/plug in (and comes complete with all of the fuses too!)

I will be sending my old one to Tiged1 so that he can us it for our Loaner RCM.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:36 PM

I changed the Secondary Air Pump on mine and it actually solved the issue. Got it pretty cheap on Ebay, from the States as a mater of fact. But I looked into RCM's as fauly ones do generate a number of issues - although I never came across the part number you have. It must be an updated or upgraded part, perhaps?

One more dashlight to get rid of and I might be able to spend a weekend without engine grease under my fingernails!

Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM

Sweeeeeet!
I'll post once the RCM has arrived, been checked and is ready for use.

THANKS Jeff!

I will contact those that contributed towards this effort as to returning your donation (once Loaner RCM is available).
THANKS to you folks too!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 PM

I changed the Secondary Air Pump on mine and it actually solved the issue. Got it pretty cheap on Ebay, from the States as a mater of fact. But I looked into RCM's as fauly ones do generate a number of issues - although I never came across the part number you have. It must be an updated or upgraded part, perhaps?

One more dashlight to get rid of and I might be able to spend a weekend without engine grease under my fingernails!
This is the new part number. I got it from MB. They couldn't even pull up the old one.

I replaced the check valve and it worked... for two days. Then I replaced the pump (ebay - much cheaper), and that didn't work either.
I'm going to try to put the RCM in tonigh and see how it goes.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Sweeeeeet!
I'll post once the RCM has arrived, been checked and is ready for use.

THANKS Jeff!

I will contact those that contributed towards this effort as to returning your donation (once Loaner RCM is available).
THANKS to you folks too!
Tighed1 -- If you don't need what I sent and are going to return it, I would be greatful if you would just send it instead to Franc Rauscher to be donated to the St. Louis Children's Hospital fund. Thanks, Larry

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 08-02-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Well folks I am happy to announce that we now have a Loaner Relay Control Module (L-RCM) thanks to one of the Texas crew,
LGV-XFIRE
(big round of thanks for Jeff)!

Having the L-RCM will allow forum members to get their cars back on the road quicker as now I can send them a repaired RCM at the same time they send me their bad RCM. Saving 2-3 days of shipping time. So instead of waiting about a week yer back on the road in just a few days.

Here how it will work (I'll post this in the first thread for easy reference):

Once you have narrowed down your problem to the RCM (No crank, all electronics work) notify me that you are ready to send your RCM to me. We will swap contact information and both ship the RCMs out. You receive the repaired RCM (with the "Me So Horny Mod") and I receive your bad RCM.
I will test/repair and test the "bad" RCM and it will become the next L-RCM waiting to help the next member.

Still asking at least $10 for this service so I don't get stuck paying postage! Hey. I'm nice but not THAT nice! Just ask PzziaGuy!

Last edited by tighed1; 08-07-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)