TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

I see that the 5th relay is the air pump relay this is the one that was burnt the most and this is the only code I am seeing. I was thinking of replacing all 5 but not now. After resetting code I can hear the pump run, seams to do a lot of starting stopping then restarting right back up, takes a day or two before it throws the P0410 code. Ala_xfire if you have a relay for sale contact me. Thank you.

Last edited by pgwwheeler; 10-08-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM

I would be interested in a repaired RCM and a couple relays if anyone has these. Thank You Phil

Last edited by pgwwheeler; 10-08-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesdsmith
Thanks i have been taking adantage of all the good info to get my car running correctly. Happy to pass along the little bit i have learned so far. One eighty and mr miata seem to be the go to guys for all that is crossfire!!! Let me know if i can help with anything... EXCUSE ME ITS onehundred80 SORRY
Thanks but you flatter me, but my knowledge is from what I have read here and a dash of common sense.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Thanks but you flatter me, but my knowledge is from what I have read here and a dash of common sense.
I was gonna say I think we chat things up the most.. LOL.
But there are many knowledgeable people on here. And as 180 states.. Most is just cumulative knowledge from the forum we've retained or know where to find.

Think that comes from being "ate up" with this car.. and reading about most everything we can find..

Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 AM

Thank you SO much for this info. I can't do soldering but my mechanic can.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM

If you go to the internet and enter (Mercedes Benz of fort Lauderdale parts) then select trade motion option from the list then enter part number 1705450305 you will find a brand new relay control module for $155 and change. I bought one of these and put it in my vehicle and it took care of my problem at a much reduced cost!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesdsmith
If you go to the internet and enter (Mercedes Benz of fort Lauderdale parts) then select trade motion option from the list then enter part number 1705450305 you will find a brand new relay control module for $155 and change. I bought one of these and put it in my vehicle and it took care of my problem at a much reduced cost!!!
Well, resoldering is cheaper and replacing relays is really not needed that often....

BUT... You just learned what so many take YEARS to learn: Parts for these cars are usually way cheaper from the MB dealer than Chrysler.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Exclamation Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by tighed1
I was wondering if the joints might see too much heat or if it's just a common defect. So far three out of three have had bad joints.

Folks. Might want to take a look at your RCM's before you get stranded! Don't say you weren't warned!

One of these days after a drive I'll remove the protective cover and check the temperture of the area of failure to see if it is higher than the rest of the board.

My Crossie had this same problem where I was driving along and it just quit . The electronics worked but the engine would not crank. Had a tow truck take it to a shop and it started fine. I think the problem is this RCM so I am having the mechanic look at it next week. Thanks for posting this info and the photos as well - which I printed and gave to mechanic.

Dianne - hotwheels

Last edited by hotwheels; 10-10-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM

I would 1st check the crankshaft position sensor works till it get hot then car doesn't run. After it cools it starts.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by pgwwheeler
I would 1st check the crankshaft position sensor works till it get hot then car doesn't run. After it cools it starts.
Okay.. one more time..

"Normally" when car is warm/hot (operating temp)..
Car dies.. dash lights work etc. "Nothing" when hitting the key to start.. RCM
Car dies..dash lights work etc. "Starter spins"..won't start.. CPS
Car starts when cooled off.. but not necessarily every case..

Seems this little bit of BIG difference gets left out quite often.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 PM

I had a situation that the engine would crank, but it would not start. Is this the Relay Control Module? I tried several times over the weekend and it still wouldn't start. I had it towed to the dealer, they pushed it into the garage, the Crossfire Certified Mechanic pushed it into the stall, got in the car, and it started right up. They tried it every day for a week and it started every time. They put it on the computer and could find nothing wrong. They said there is no history of Crossfires ever having a problem like this. Now I'm afraid to drive it.
In your example I think you said the engine wouldn't turn over. Mine did.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by chilipop
I had a situation that the engine would crank, but it would not start. Is this the Relay Control Module? I tried several times over the weekend and it still wouldn't start. I had it towed to the dealer, they pushed it into the garage, the Crossfire Certified Mechanic pushed it into the stall, got in the car, and it started right up. They tried it every day for a week and it started every time. They put it on the computer and could find nothing wrong. They said there is no history of Crossfires ever having a problem like this. Now I'm afraid to drive it.
In your example I think you said the engine wouldn't turn over. Mine did.
They said there is no history of Crossfires ever having a problem like this. Now I'm afraid to drive it.
He is lying or mis-informed. Quite common as a fault.
Was the car hot when the trouble occurred?
Could be;
RCM fuel pump relay. Doubtful though.
Crank shaft position sensor.
Cam shaft position sensor

Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM

I agree it sounds like the crankshaft position sensor

Old 10-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Agree.. CPS.. even cars as low as 50k have experienced it. And my first symptom was only 10 minutes into a drive.. When it did start back up I did have a cel light on. But that isn't "proof positive" as we've seen in a few cases. If you haven't gotten a bosch replacement yet.. get one.. and the tools.. and become familiar with changing it. 10-15 minute job when you know what to do.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldnt say its a 10-15 min job a srt-6 prolly double the time due to having a blower sitting on top of the motor. Tip for somebody trying to get connector lose, I used needle nose pliers (carefully). It gave me the needed about of pressure to pull it off. I only used the pliers after struggling to get the thing off with my hand.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by philosophico
I wouldnt say its a 10-15 min job a srt-6 prolly double the time due to having a blower sitting on top of the motor. Tip for somebody trying to get connector lose, I used needle nose pliers (carefully). It gave me the needed about of pressure to pull it off. I only used the pliers after struggling to get the thing off with my hand.
Tip ...... there is a catch to release, it is not just pulled off.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Unhappy Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Can someone please help , I just purchased a 04 XF for my wife , the car runs awesome , already did stickys key fix last week, thanks that was great , and after reading all the posts about the cps ,and the cam sensor , I ordered the bosch part from your web site , for the cam and crank , changed them both ,car fired right up we used it all day with no issues , hoped in it tonight and on the display for the odometer theres what appears to be two small wrenches and a number 40500 its there for a few seconds then display returns to normal and then the check engine light comes on , car runs great , check eng. stays on until car is shut off .

Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 PM

As far as the double wrench not to worry.. that is your oil change reminder.. Our "new" roadster was about that far behind.. LOL. Turn key to on.. press the stem twice quickly.. it will display the 40500 turn the key off.. hold the stem in and turn key to on.. keep stem pressed in...within 10 seconds it should reset to 7000 and no wrenches. It may take a couple tries for this.. and is typically to be done at oil changes... so note when your next is due. The check engine light will require the code to be read for any help.. most part stores can read them for you.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Wink Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
As far as the double wrench not to worry.. that is your oil change reminder.. Our "new" roadster was about that far behind.. LOL. Turn key to on.. press the stem twice quickly.. it will display the 40500 turn the key off.. hold the stem in and turn key to on.. keep stem pressed in...within 10 seconds it should reset to 7000 and no wrenches. It may take a couple tries for this.. and is typically to be done at oil changes... so note when your next is due. The check engine light will require the code to be read for any help.. most part stores can read them for you.
Thank you , it worked as for the check engine light , some how the bosch cps I got is the wrong part , I changed It back to the old bosch part that was in there and all is good . I just need to order the right part I guess , have a great night .

Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 AM

I read the advice here on the RCM and took my Crossie in with the photos of what the problem is...thank you SO much!!! The mechanic found 6 loose connections in the RCM and repaired them. It only cost me $176 and I should not have anymore trouble.

You guys are truly awesome. Thank you OneHundred80, you're a gem.

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)