TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

He hasn't been on the forum in a while... you might click his name and use the option to send him a PM. THis should generate an email alert to him that he has a message.

If you can't contact him, I'd be happy to resolder yours and send it back to you. But I don't have a spare to do the swap with.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys/gals, I was wondering if my 2004 crossfire is plagued by this issue. My car has 11k miles on it, has had most maintenance done (oil change, battery, brakes etc) but once in a while if I dont use my car for a few days, it wont start right away. The electronics work fine but when I turn the key nothing happens (no sound). Then after the 5th try it might work, or maybe the 10th try. Then after it starts once its fine for the day...

Is this the mystery no start?

Also if this is the issue, if someone would PM me on who could repair mine? (I am not comfortable with a soldering iron, ever).

Much obliged.

Last edited by SRTtoZ; 10-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Could be. Do all the lights come on on the dash, then nuttin when the key is turned ?

A 2004 with ONLY 11K ? That's amazing. You must sit and admire it, rather than driving it.
If no one else steps up, I can do the RCM fix for you. ( You pay shipping both ways )

Where are you located ?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm.. RCM "Typically" gives it up when its hot.. makes me wonder if a relay isn't sticking instead of a solder joint being bad.

Just a passing thought... Carry on..

Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Could be. Do all the lights come on on the dash, then nuttin when the key is turned ?

A 2004 with ONLY 11K ? That's amazing. You must sit and admire it, rather than driving it.
If no one else steps up, I can do the RCM fix for you. ( You pay shipping both ways )

Where are you located ?
Yes. All the lights come on and then goes black after the key is turned. Its only happened a handful of times but its really annoying and I feel like one day I wont get it to turn on and ill get stuck somewhere.

Yea this car has been sitting for a while (not lately but for the years leading up to this one). I do admire it though

I live in southern NY (Near the city).

Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM

I can not find the post that shows you how to remove and repair the rcm and anyone help me.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by pgwwheeler
I can not find the post that shows you how to remove and repair the rcm and anyone help me.
Well, if you went to the first post of this thread you would see it.
Click this.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:55 PM

I did the list is not there. I dont know why maybe its my computer. There use to be a list of problems and repairs I would click on List of crossfire problems repairs and how to s now i can not get to this page. Phil

Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 PM

I did the list is not there. I dont know why maybe its my computer. There use to be a list of problems and repairs I would click on List of crossfire problems repairs and how to s now i can not get to this page. Phil
Your lost and I'm lost.
In my previous post I say 'Click this' so click on those words.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM

I have a 2004 crossfire 119000 miles I have done the solder on the rcm my joints all looked very good to begin with. The relays I believe are my problem. The code only comes up intermittently and sometimes resets itself. I have found a new RCM for under $300 I have also checked the map sensor connector and the ground on the pump and the pump connector, I am hesitant to spend the money without being sure that's the problem. I took white cardboard and alcohol to the contacts there was a lot of burnt carbon. I would appreciate any other ideas on what I might try before buying a RCM. Thank You

Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 AM

I have a 2004 crossfire 119000 miles I have done the solder on the rcm my joints all looked very good to begin with. The relays I believe are my problem. The code only comes up intermittently and sometimes resets itself. I have found a new RCM for under $300 I have also checked the map sensor connector and the ground on the pump and the pump connector, I am hesitant to spend the money without being sure that's the problem. I took white cardboard and alcohol to the contacts there was a lot of burnt carbon. I would appreciate any other ideas on what I might try before buying a RCM. Thank You
The individual relays can be replaced, they are required to be de soldered and replaced.The relays are quite cheap, <$5 each.
Used RCMs can be got quite cheaply I got one for $40 plus shipping.
Turbomar used one that had a different number and it worked fine.
Click here for more relay info.
Relays available here.
When de soldering I think it may be smart to trim the leg as short as possible without distorting them that would make less length to be pulled through the hole while keeping them hot.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-08-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Thank you for the info I will look into buying 4 of those relays. Just to be sure someone has used these and they work?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM

I replaced the secondary air relay in my spare RCM and it works.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I replaced the secondary air relay in my spare RCM and it works.
Does my idea of cutting the legs of the relay flush make sense? Pulling through shorter legs has to help I'd guess.
After getting as much solder out of the joint as possible did you heat and wiggle one leg out a bit, then another and repeat it around all four legs a few times or what? Inquiring minds .....

Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM

I first used a solder sucker to remove the majority of the old solder, then used solder wick.
After that, I grabbed each post/electrical connection with needlenose pliers and wiggled/twisted till they were free.

But to your point, yes, I think just cutting all the legs off on the relay side would make it much easier, then clean up the holes once the relay is removed.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Thank you I went to onlinecomponents.com You have to make a purchase of at least $30 that would be 9 relays (AZ970E-1A-12D Electromechanical relay) I was wondering if anyone had bought extra relays because of the minumum order and had some to sell. If not I will be buying 9 relays at 31 plus shipping and hopefully I will only need 4.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 PM

Thank you I went to onlinecomponents.com You have to make a purchase of at least $30 that would be 9 relays (AZ970E-1A-12D Electromechanical relay) I was wondering if anyone had bought extra relays because of the minumum order and had some to sell. If not I will be buying 9 relays at 31 plus shipping and hopefully I will only need 4.
You only need to replace the one with the burnt contacts.
Ala_xfire may have one to sell.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM

This is my first post so please accept my apologies if I am posting in the wrong place... I have 5 relays that I bought because I needed a minimum order. I would be happy to sell them to someone in need for $4 each plus shipping. I also have a refurbished relay control module ( the burnt relay was replaced by a friend who does this for a living ). I will sell the relay control module for $100 plus actual shipping. Works fine...I put it in my car for a couple weeks after getting it back to make sure it was okay. GREATLY APPRECIATE ALL THE GREAT INFORMATION I GET FROM THIS FORUM. IT HAS SAVED MY BUTT A COUPLE TIMES AND I HAVE ONLY HAD MY CROSSFIRE FOR 4 MONTHS

Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by charlesdsmith
This is my first post so please accept my apologies if I am posting in the wrong place... I have 5 relays that I bought because I needed a minimum order. I would be happy to sell them to someone in need for $4 each plus shipping. I also have a refurbished relay control module ( the burnt relay was replaced by a friend who does this for a living ). I will sell the relay for $100 plus actual shipping. Works fine...I put it in my car for a couple weeks after getting it back to make sure it was okay. GREATLY APPRECIATE ALL THE GREAT INFORMATION I GET FROM THIS FORUM. IT HAS SAVED MY BUTT A COUPLE TIMES AND I HAVE ONLY HAD MY CROSSFIRE FOR 4 MONTHS
Welcome to the forum, the possible buyer and seller meet.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 PM

Thanks i have been taking adantage of all the good info to get my car running correctly. Happy to pass along the little bit i have learned so far. One eighty and mr miata seem to be the go to guys for all that is crossfire!!! Let me know if i can help with anything... EXCUSE ME ITS onehundred80 SORRY

Last edited by charlesdsmith; 10-08-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)