TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Tighed1 is one of the best guys to help you out here in this forum. He's helped many, and for only a thank you or a pittance. He'll steer you straight for sure. Those connectors could be a little confusing, some have those swing to click/lock so just watch how they come apart and you'll be fine. If I am not mistaken, there is also a little clip/tab that you have to move out of the way to get the RCM module out so watch for that as well. Thanks tighed1, for the help you provide the membership!
What are you after?

Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1

That reminds me.
EVERYONE.

Don't spend $15-$20 mailing these. They fit in the padded flat rate envelopes and ship for about $5.
If you saw the torture packages go through at the Post Office you would send them in a cast iron box. I'm not to sure I'd want my RCM going through the rollers and being dropped on the floor from great heights, like from the backs of trucks.

If you think writing FRAGILE on the package helps, forget about it, that word incites the postal workers to bounce it of the walls to see if it's the truth.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I could really use some help. My son's crossfire was having starting issues. It runs great but if you turn it off & run into a store or something for a couple of minutes it won't start back. If you let it sit for a while it starts & runs fine. We ordered a new relay module from a MB dealer & put it in today but now the problem is worse than it was to begin with. We didn't unhook the battery before we replaced it..does anyone know if this will cause issues??? This is my teenagers car & he is about to have a nervous breakdown worrying about getting stuck somewhere.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No check engine light I'm guessing? "Typically" if it's the crank positioning sensor it throws a code, but we have seen cases where it didn't. "Bosch" brand only is the rule here, but I found myself in a "must have now" situation and bought a lifetime warranty one from Advanced Auto. Two months on it and no problems. You can score them on Ebay for around 38 bucks if you can wait the week or so. Do a search here and you can find the part number, tools required etc. It's really an easy job to do. Just use (as in my case duct tape) something to hold the screw in your socket when removing and installing.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by msabo3
Ok I could really use some help. My son's crossfire was having starting issues. It runs great but if you turn it off & run into a store or something for a couple of minutes it won't start back. If you let it sit for a while it starts & runs fine. We ordered a new relay module from a MB dealer & put it in today but now the problem is worse than it was to begin with. We didn't unhook the battery before we replaced it..does anyone know if this will cause issues??? This is my teenagers car & he is about to have a nervous breakdown worrying about getting stuck somewhere.
I have taken my Relay Control Module out and put it back in without taking the battery cables off, no problem. But I guess I should.
Do the crankshaft position sensor change and that probably will cure it.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have taken my Relay Control Module out and put it back in without taking the battery cables off, no problem. But I guess I should.
Do the crankshaft position sensor change and that probably will cure it.

What he said.
I never disconnect the battery. Never had a problem.
CPS sounds like your problem.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know where you are located but an auto zone, or similar store will have your part...crankshaft position sensor. CPS goes out in other cars as well, ours just goes sooner.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by msabo3
Sorry for the delay... however, I was having the sporadic start issue. With the help of the site and tighed1 info, I was able to eliminate this problem. My mechanic, thinks it is the safety switch for the clutch (he may have called it something else). He advised that I should be sure to push clutch all the way to the floor when starting. Viola, it works! I have not had start issues since. He also, advised that the stealership would probably recommend new clutch, that he stated still has a long way to go. Hope this helps. @ Tighed and the rest of the gang, thanks for your help. I did follow the steps for the relay, I just decided to do it at the mechanics shop, just in case I needed help or a ride home.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM

You guys rock!!!

I've just done the repair and problem has gone! :-)

I've been crazy the whole week as the diagnostics did't return any error. It was weir and worrying.

After changing the coolant temperature sensor and the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) I was about to change the camshaft position sensor also, when I read this post.

Thanks tighed1, your solution worked like a charm! :-)

By the way. During the week I have been getting some useful info, so here you have in case you need it:

Coolant temperature sensor (Sending unit, temperature gauge)
- Chrysler part number: 05080147AA
- Mercedes part number: A 000 542 51 18

Crankshaft Position Sensor
- Chrysler part number: 05080350AA
- Mercedes part number: A 003 153 2828 (it seems reference A 003 153 2728 also fits, but 2828 is an improved one, which I bought)
- Bosch part number: 02 61 210 171

Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM

My Crossfire just quit on me an hour ago. I've had it less than a year, but it has always started as soon as I turn the key. When I got in it today, it was running fine but I had this little feeling that the power just wasn't quite as usual but no lights were on and it WAS just a little feeling that acceleration was slower than usual. I drove about 15 miles, parked, came back 30 minutes later, and it wouldn't start, just kept cranking. I had to get a ride home. Does this sound like the RCM?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

Possible. RCM, Battery, CPS sensor, fuel pump... a few guesses.

Resoldering the RCM is not too hard, and replacing the battery isn't either. (Bad batteries on these, and many modern cars, often means the car will crank but not start. I've seen this myself.)

Usually, the CPS sensor fails when it gets hot, doens't sound like the case with you.

And I've heard of fuel pumps giving out, but again, the fuel pump relay is on the RCM and bad solder could mean the pump isn't getting power.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response, Pizzaguy. The battery is strong and a friend listen near the gas tank and could hear the fuel pump running. The car quit at my garage for my custom antique car. I'll ask if they can check the RCM for me before I call AAA to tow it to my Xfire's mechanic.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by MsRedda
My Crossfire just quit on me an hour ago. I've had it less than a year, but it has always started as soon as I turn the key. When I got in it today, it was running fine but I had this little feeling that the power just wasn't quite as usual but no lights were on and it WAS just a little feeling that acceleration was slower than usual. I drove about 15 miles, parked, came back 30 minutes later, and it wouldn't start, just kept cranking. I had to get a ride home. Does this sound like the RCM?
I would be leaning towards CPS myself. Mine quit 7 miles from home going to work one morning. Restarted about 10 minutes later. Drove 35 miles to work, out and about another 10 miles at lunch. 3 miles after work I stopped to return a movie and that was all she wrote.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

The CPS is a cheap, easy fix.

Get ya one:
Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)
(The one for our cars has a part number that ends in 27 28, but others here indicate this one fits - I believe the number changed.)

Old 07-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by MsRedda
MsRedda. It doesn't sound my RCM issue, but as pizzaguy said, it could perfectly be an RCM issue, as it contains relays connected to different components.

My RCM issue was probably related with the solder that connects to the CPS. I had no power or acceleration issues. Just the car died or wouldn't start when hot. But yours could be related with the solder that connects to, maybe, the pump.

Anyways, I recommend you and everyone to unmount the RCM, review every solder and fix the weak ones (I had 5 or 6 that were weak), even if your car hasn't had any problem yet. It will save your time and worries for sure in the future. It's a must!

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
The CPS is a cheap, easy fix.

Get ya one:
Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)
(The one for our cars has a part number that ends in 27 28, but others here indicate this one fits - I believe the number changed.)
Yep, original Mercedes one is A 003 153 2728, but there is also the A 003 153 2828 which fits perfectly and it seems is an improved version of the original. I've mounted the last one and works great.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM

Well, I had the nightmare happen today.
Got in the car this morning and had the dreaded "Click click click click" and no start. Did some searching and found this thread, and I am PRAYING that this is my solution. I got the RCM out today, unfortunately I don't have a solder gun. Going over a friend's house tomorrow to use his and hopefully fix it.

Meanwhile, borrowing my gf's Dodge Neon to get to work :|

Anyways, here is the RCM and the solders in question. I know it's blurry, but I don't really know exactly what I'm looking at. It doesn't appear to be corroded like the original poster's picture, but it has almost no solder on the top.

I'll let you all know tomorrow!! Crossing my fingers!!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:27 PM

Those joints don't look bad from here. Click Click? like a discharged battery click? I don't recall reading anywhere about clicking. Seems "nothing" when turning the key (start wise) is the typical case. Think in this case you might want to look those over a little better and compare to the pictures again. First one.. yeah..wasted effort solder job. His "still working" picture - well from the blurry pic - yours still looks better than that one.

Would also add most that go belly up are while hot..it shuts down.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 07-15-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM

It's not the battery, I have all working electronics and I tried to jump it for good measure. The next thing I will look at is the starter. The clicking sounds like the starter, but there is another clicking coming from what seems like the RCM box. For some reason I thought I read that someone said they heard clicking from the RCM box and this fixed it.

I'm going to try being an optimist here, but all I see is dollar signs. Rental car, weeks to get my car back, having to take it to the dreaded Chrysler stealership (they're even worse overseas!).

Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 PM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...crossfire.html
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ecent-fix.html
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-problem.html

Just saying.. checked your terminals and cleaned lately?

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)