TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Excellent Pic there showing the burnt contacts - I have been getting the code for over 6 months now and its just been annoying the hell out of me.

Ive checked the pcb before and all the solder joints were fine, check valve was fine and no other obvious causes until today I opened the relay box up again and looked at the contacts and there it was - a filthy black contact. I got some wet and dry paper and slid it between the contacts to clean them up - placed the relay back and no CEL!! So far so good anyway but that was definitely the problem. Its a difficult one to spot!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Tighed1: That picture is EXACTLY what mine looked like before I filed the contacts.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:16 PM

What year are these (your) cars. Mine is a 2004, from what I can tell this seems to happen with the '04 and '05 cars mostly. Does that seem to be correct? Maybe they changed the part (RCM) in '06.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 PM

Mine is 04

Old 08-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire451
What year are these (your) cars. Mine is a 2004, from what I can tell this seems to happen with the '04 and '05 cars mostly. Does that seem to be correct? Maybe they changed the part (RCM) in '06.
I haven't asked what year the RCMs are that I have repaired and to tell the truth until recently I haven't paid attention to the air pump relay.

From now on I will check and if necessary, clean the contacts of all RCMs sent to me for repair.
And hey. No extra charge!
(just don't brag that it's from a BLACK car!)

Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 PM
mtz

I think you guys are awesome! This forum has gotten me through some issues with my car without having to go to the dreaded dealership for repair... I need some help now though...(didn't find anything using the search). I've been trying to get rid of the p0410 code, and I noticed that the F2 fuse on the RCM was blown... I replaced it, and the CEL went away, until I turned off the car and turned it back on. The F2/engine control 2 fuse keeps burning out. Any ideas why?

Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 PM

hey great site guys! im having the dreaded P0410 code and I've already replaced the little blue valve looking at where the valve goes to i noticed at the bottom of the (air pump?) guessing here besides the electrical connection there is a rubber grommet connected to nothing is that how it should be? thanks
p0410-secondary-air-injection-syste.jpg

Also the part # you listed can not be found... are you sure it's the right one?[/quote]

Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM

what is the best way to get to the rcb and i looked but only saw the fuses which all checked out ok

Old 08-28-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by knute1
what is the best way to get to the rcb and i looked but only saw the fuses which all checked out ok
RCB? New one on me.
If yer talkin bout the RCM then it's inside of the "box" that the fuses are located on. That is if yer talkin bout the RCM.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had this problem for a good year now, finally found this thread and acted on it. Did the three things suggested here... new check valve, cleaned corrosion from the ground contact, and cleaned contacts on the RCM.

Has anyone else noticed this is related to humidity? I swear when i wash the car or it rains it triggers this code.

I havent driven much since i worked on it earlier this week; ill report back in a week and let you knwo the results up to that point.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 AM

...and its back.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 PM

Seeing as ur from long island, ny (depending on what part of the island) it is raining today..so that could be why it came back..try cleaning the contacts on the rcm if u trust urselfd doing thqat kind of stuff

Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by shadow872
Seeing as ur from long island, ny (depending on what part of the island) it is raining today..so that could be why it came back..try cleaning the contacts on the rcm if u trust urselfd doing thqat kind of stuff
did that, did all three "easy" things... see post above (post #90).

Old 09-04-2010, 08:29 PM

My appologies, didn't notice..maybe you didn't clean it well enough and its not making contact..that or your air pump is actually shot

Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM

I had the same issue as you every body else. So I replaced my pump because it wasn't working. So I rerplaced it with a new one. Me and my mechanic started to look at the pump and noticed there was just a bad connection on the inside. I sent it to an Electric shop where they repair electric motors and they saddered the connections tested and works great. So if any of you have the same issue pop of the cap where the three screws connect for the electrical plug side of the pump. you may not have to spend $700 for a new pump. Since I did by a new one I have a used one for sale if any body is interested.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the late post here, but I just wanted to give everyone some more info on this problem. I got a '04 coupe, and the CEL thing has been happening for several years now. I did everything all the previous posters suggested (cleaning and resoldering things, haven't replaced anything yet!)...EXCEPT cleaning the contacts. At least I don't remember doing it. I think I did look at it once and it seemed fine. So anyways, this CEL has been an intermittant thing, so tonight I read this thread one more time, and decided to look at it again. Sure enough, the contact was REALLY bad! So the new piece of info that i have is this: You can actually move the copper part of that relay out (the piece with the big piece of copper wire attached to it) and away from the relay so you can clean it easier. To do this, carefully remove the spring and set it aside (DON'T lose it!) then you can maniupulate that contact until you can finally swivel it out and away from the relay point. Now you have an easy and free access to cleaning that contact up. Make sure you don't break that wire that is attached on both ends or you are screwed!! So for now the CEL light is off, but I am confident that fixed the problem, and if it comes back, it's because that contact is getting dirty again. Thanks again for everyone's advice into this apparently common issue!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by jaylogs
...You can actually move the copper part of that relay out (the piece with the big piece of copper wire attached to it) and away from the relay so you can clean it easier. To do this, carefully remove the spring and set it aside (DON'T lose it!) then you can maniupulate that contact until you can finally swivel it out and away from the relay point.
Here's a pic to help out.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that pic Tighed! I wasn't sure if you had posted about that or not, moving that contact out...but I thought I'd bring it up if nothing else to let everyone know about that option. Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also kept that picture for reference later. Thanks Tighed1 for that. Larry

Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
I also kept that picture for reference later. Thanks Tighed1 for that. Larry
Hi,
I'm newto this forum. Can anybody tell me if the arrow on the Blue Check Valve is pointing up(towards the selonid) or down (away from the selonoid).
Thanks

Quick Reply: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?