TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
I went through the exact same issues as you this summer, except I purchased a new RCM from the MB dealer and had the air pump rebuild by local shop that does starters/alternators etc.. only thing I did different was not replacing my EGR valve.

Air pump would run every morning like clockwork, tested with the engine cold by applying voltage to pump and actuator and could feel air blowing out the exhaust.

Two days later, the code would comeback.

Then, every morning for a week - before starting the engine, I would switch on the rear window defroster and what-do-you-know, the problem went away and I passed CA smog.

I'm guessing that the ECU monitor for the secondary air pump would see enough current draw to calculate that the air pump was switching on.

Been about 3 months now without using the rear window defroster trick and no issues.

Hope this helps.
4/1/2019
OK, I had the same problem for quite a while on my 2004 coupe. Last weekend I unplugged the lead to the air pump (front if the engine, right on top. You should see TWO pins marked + and - in tiny little symbols). I briefly attached jumper wires from the battery to the smog pump. It ran fine, so now I know that is good.

Tonight I first removed the negative (black) cable from the battery, then unplugged the ECU (passenger side near the back of the motor, move plastic sliding locks, 5 or 6 multi pin plugs, one 40A fuse - see photos some posted here on this page) from the car, then CAREFULLY pried the plastic back cover off (use 2 or 3 flat screwdrivers and be sure they don't damage anything inside). Then I am looking at the 5 (or so) mounted relays. The one furthest toward the back of the car is for the smog pump (4 pin plug). CAREFULLY remove the tiny little spring from the relay and DON"T drop it or LOSE IT or you're toast. Move the little copper cable (that holds the square contact plate on) up and over the corner so that you can pull the little contact plate back out of its little slots and pull it out away from the relay with the copper cable still intact. This will allow you to take a look at the tiny little contact plate electrodes. Mine were all black and burnt, but otherwise is fairly good shape. Take a SMALL nail file with fine sand paper on it (maybe 200 grit or higher) and CAREFULLY and lightly sand and smooth and clean both the slot (inner electrode) and the other electrode on the little plate. Don't remove any electrode, just clean them up and give them a smooth surface - doesn't take much sanding. GENTLY reassembly the relay putting the little spring back on and be sure it holds the relay in the OPEN position (just like the others). Reassemble and reinstall the ECU unit in the car. Put your battery cable back on (this will have reset your Check Engine light). Start the (awesome) Crossfire up and be blown away at how awesome runs now. Note... no more engine light. Repair cost: $0.00 plus 20 minutes of light labor. This worked great for me. If it helps you, just send me lots of your money (hey, the mechanic would have got it anyway, right?).

If you still get the 0410 code after doing this you'll probably need a new ECM, ( OR I'll give you $75 for the whole car... if it doesn't have any rust... if you can deliver to my house in Ohio :-} ).

I sincerely hope this helps lots of people avoid an expensive repair for this simple issue. Bad on you MB, but really once you've been in there once, its a really easy fix.

Last edited by padgett59; 04-01-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:08 PM

Pull the ECM and inspect the relay. It may be frozen closed causing the the pump to run too much.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by padgett59
Pull the ECM and inspect the relay. It may be frozen closed causing the the pump to run too much.
I believe you meant RCM, not ECM.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
solnyc- I didn't see an answer for the most important question. When the car is cold do you hear the pump run??? Open your hood and start your car in the morning then walk back and listen. If it's running you'll know it, it is loud. It should run for about 30 seconds.
What is the leading cause of the secondary injection pump not to come on

Old 08-28-2019, 08:32 AM

burnt relay in the RCM

Old 08-29-2019, 06:03 AM

Hello Crossfire owners and experts,

I have a problem with my crossfire (2005 convertible) where I see the engine warning light burning, it gives a secondairy airpump warning code which does't go away.
It all started with a starting issue of the engine, where I replaced the RCM for a new one.
Starting was solved, however now the engine warning light doesn't turn off anymore and gives the secundairy airpump code 035.
I informed at a Mercedes garage and they indicated that the valve on the pump sometimes is not good anymore, they (Bosch garage) measured the secundairy pump which runs properly.
So they replaced it with a new valve, however issue still there.
I have the feeling it has to do with the replacement of the RCM, is there a specific guideline to do this or a trick which prevents the light from going on?

Can someone help me out with some good information or has someone got experience with this issue?

Remco

Old 08-29-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Remco

I have a problem with my crossfire (2005 convertible) where I see the engine warning light burning, it gives a secondairy airpump warning code which does't go away.
It all started with a starting issue of the engine, where I replaced the RCM for a new one.
Starting was solved, however now the engine warning light doesn't turn off anymore and gives the secundairy airpump code 035.
I informed at a Mercedes garage and they indicated that the valve on the pump sometimes is not good anymore, they (Bosch garage) measured the secundairy pump which runs properly.
I have the feeling it has to do with the replacement of the RCM, is there a specific guideline to do this or a trick which prevents the light from going on?

Can someone help me out with some good information or has someone got experience with this issue?

Remco
Send the RCM to tighed1, he will replace the relays.
Contact him via email at tighed1@hotmail.com.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Send the RCM to tighed1, he will replace the relays.
Contact him via email at tighed1@hotmail.com.
I have already replaced the RCM module with new relays.....

Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 AM

I have already replaced the RCM module with new relays.....
OK, pull it out and leave all 5 connectors on, remove the cover.
Look and see if the air pump relay is energized.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (01-27-2023)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:51 AM

Remco
I'm having the same problem bought the 04 and replaced the rcm for the no run witch was the relay in the RCM for the fuel pump also it has the relay for the air pump that turns the air pump on I checked the relay contact and made it manually the pump comes on but no automatic I'm needing to no what valve or solenoidor or sensor makes this bastard work. Sorry this car has been a work in progress an all the same problems seems to be the same throughout the whole Fleet also with the radios rather the amp or the head .please when someone reads this and has fixed there car air pump an not be replacing the air pump it's self let me no

Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
OK, pull it out and leave all 5 connectors on, remove the cover.
Look and see if the air pump relay is energized.
I did replace the rcm also witches fixed the fuel pump problem the air pump is not comeing on when the car is cold but I can make the relay manually with the cover off what make the relay come on are there a air solenoid sensor or anything up near the pump that engages the relay to turn on ? I belive the suction on 1 of the vacuumlines on 1 of the air valves. Has something to do with this please help if you no .

Old 01-21-2020, 07:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi All, I hope I`m posting this correctly, I`m looking for a bit of help, lol, as usual, I need to replace my secondary air pump, I`m in the UK it`s a 2005 Roadster and the Chrysler part is so expensive and I`m trying to get the equivalent MB part number, I have a part number A0001403785 I got from Ebay but I` don`t know if it is the correct one, any help or advice would be great

Regards

Teak

Old 01-21-2020, 08:07 AM

That part number appears to be correct, on Amazon it lists the SLK320 as compatible, and that is the twin sister of the Crossfire.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:24 AM

Brilliant ala xfire, thanks, I just have to locate one now at a half decent price, thanks

Regards

Teak

Old 01-21-2020, 10:51 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesmcaleer
Hi All, I hope I`m posting this correctly, I`m looking for a bit of help, lol, as usual, I need to replace my secondary air pump, I`m in the UK it`s a 2005 Roadster and the Chrysler part is so expensive and I`m trying to get the equivalent MB part number, I have a part number A0001403785 I got from Ebay but I` don`t know if it is the correct one, any help or advice would be great

Regards

Teak
What is wrong with the pump? Some can be repaired, some have faulty valves, blocked air inlets, poor contacts on the RCM.
Any codes set?
These pumps get expensive and some areas can have them not working at all, it depends on the pollution laws in your area.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
What is wrong with the pump? Some can be repaired, some have faulty valves, blocked air inlets, poor contacts on the RCM.
Any codes set?
These pumps get expensive and some areas can have them not working at all, it depends on the pollution laws in your area.
Hi onehundredand80, the bearings have seized up , I got the 410 code, that new pump I put on it was brand new and only lasted less than a year, I only did probably 3,000 miles in that time

Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesmcaleer
Hi onehundredand80, the bearings have seized up , I got the 410 code, that new pump I put on it was brand new and only lasted less than a year, I only did probably 3,000 miles in that time
If the RCM has seized contacts the pump runs all the time and that would cause bearing failure.
the bearings could be replaced and any brushes replaced.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If the RCM has seized contacts the pump runs all the time and that would cause bearing failure.
the bearings could be replaced and any brushes replaced.

That's good information on the RCM potentially faulty, the bearings failed and caused the armature and commutator to come into contact and it's irreparable I think, thanks for your help on the RCM though, that's useful

Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there any reason to not just temporarily pull the 40A fuse controlling the secondary air injection pump?

My plan is to replace the relay, but meanwhile I am tired of hearing the pump cycling on and off. Pulling the fuse would stop such cycling and possibly prolong the life of this poorly engineered pump and subsystem.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (01-27-2023)

Quick Reply: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?