TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Old 01-14-2016 | 03:05 PM
Default Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Originally Posted by ssl92677
Help please? 2004 Xfr with manual trans and 53,000 miles. Car runs FINE - no starting, performance or mpg issues whatsoever

Had the P0410 codes 2 years ago (Jan 2014), pulled & checked RCM (a-ok), air pump worked fine, replaced the small blue check valve and was all good until Dec 2015 and code reappeared.

Air pump is working properly (on when cold then shuts off) and RCM, ground wire & blue check valve all good. Took Xfr to a local MBZ shop I know for years and after two days they recommend replacing the two upstream o2 sensors ($676) as they may be "lazy".

Anybody ever heard about this as a P0410 issue? Checked online found the Bosch 16167 o2 sensors at $67 each plus cost of a special socket for removal/installation.

Amazon.com: Bosch 16167 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive

TEKTON 4929 3/8-Inch Drive by 7/8-Inch Oxygen Sensor Socket - - Amazon.com

The problem is the car rego is due now (got a 60 day extension) but having read all the threads (secondary valves, carbon build up in intake tubes, etc.) I fear I'm headed down a rabbit hole now.

Any help is appreciated.
The problem usually lies in the blue valve you replaced, the contacts on the pump relay in the RCM or a poor ground on the wire attached to the pump. Check those out before going any further.
Those sensors have their own codes. It is possible that the check valve has failed again.

Old 01-15-2016 | 01:51 AM

Had my RCM repaired, replaced blue check valve and was still getting the code. Finally put in a new pump,$168, last October and finally no code

Old 01-26-2016 | 09:57 PM

I keep checking the blue check valve and every time it performs as designed.

The air pump runs when engine is cold so both the air pump and the RCM must be working properly too.

I thought I saw the sensors had their own codes as well (p0135 etc.) but I went a head and install two new Bosch upstream o2 sensors and now it looks like I get the p0140 code much sooner.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 01-27-2016 | 08:23 AM

I keep checking the blue check valve and every time it performs as designed.

The air pump runs when engine is cold so both the air pump and the RCM must be working properly too.

I thought I saw the sensors had their own codes as well (p0135 etc.) but I went a head and install two new Bosch upstream o2 sensors and now it looks like I get the p0140 code much sooner.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
You say you checked the RCM two years ago, have you checked it lately? As stated above burnt contacts on the relay in the RCM cause most issues.

Old 01-27-2016 | 02:52 PM

Thanks onehundred80.

I pulled the RCM last night and the air pump relay had very minor black residue on the contacts. I used some isopropyl alcohol on a small head toothbrush a few times, dried it all then took a new $5 bill across all the contacts.

Put the RCM back in the car and no CEL !!!

Checked the OBDII this morning, no codes. Holding my breath until all the monitors run through their respective cycles but I'm cautiously optimistic

I feel silly not checking the air pump relay in the RCM since I knew all about it from years ago but since I heard the whine from the air pump on cold start conditions I assumed the relay must be OK.

After cleaning the RCM last night I took a drive during which I heard the air pump run for 10 seconds or so while stopped at a traffic signal after only driving 3 or 4 miles. I thought: what? that's unusual. Maybe the relay was just working properly on cold starts but once the engine warmed up a bit the slightly dirty relay wasn't making proper contact and the air pump didn't run as needed (at idle at stop lights?) resulting in the p0140 code re-occurring.

I will report back in a few days when the monitors finish incrementing .....

P.S.: it seems the codes all cleared when I removed and reinstalled the RCM. Can anyone confirm this? If true, no need the disconnect the battery (losing radio programming) - just pull the RCM ???

Old 01-27-2016 | 03:37 PM

After cleaning the RCM last night I took a drive during which I heard the air pump run for 10 seconds or so while stopped at a traffic signal after only driving 3 or 4 miles. I thought: what? that's unusual.
That may have been the actual engine cooling fan you heard. I hear that a lot on mine when I stop during the first 10 minutes or so. Chrysler used to do that back in the 80s on their early computer controlled cars. The reason being is, in a cold morning, condensation builds up on the exterior of the radiator. You start driving and as the engine warms up the coolant, it cycles through the radiator which is full of cool coolant, keeping the engine cool without fan use. When you come to a stop, the warming up radiator will be burning off the condensation on it and on a humid morning could show up a faint steam/smoke/fog. People would think they had a leak or real problem, so they engineered a fix by causing the cooling fan to start when the car came to a stop for a few seconds until they thought it was warmed up enough to be dry.

Old 02-04-2016 | 03:57 PM
Smile Re: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?

Finally!

Waited a few days for all the monitors to finish incrementing. The CAT monitor was still had not incremented so 10 miles on the freeway with cruise on at 57 mph and voila, CAT monitor finished. No CEL so off to smog the next morning and PASSED.

Should have pulled the RCM again as onehundred80 posted earlier.

Needlessly spent $225 installing 2 Bosch upstream o2 sensors but, hey, at the end of the day not a huge tragedy.

Thanks to all who participate here!

Old 02-13-2016 | 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by septiccrossfire
Soldering, getting RCM soldered are a waste of time and money ($40 ratholed as the replacement relays are similar to but not exactly the same as the OEM relays--CEL kept coming back on and the spoiler auto-deployment features adversely affected) as I discovered. Finally fixed both my 04 and 05 naturally aspirated models with NEW RCMs, see:
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...456&cc=1444196
Around $145.00 including shipping/each, date codes from 2014, have the official Mercedes-Benz logo and part numbers (no Chrysler part number to be found on it). Date codes on the originals from 2004. The RCMs failing because of defective solder joints is a myth--the solder joints fail because the a failing individual fuel pump relay overheats and naturally exceeds the melting point of the solder.
Tell us what the difference is please, our RCM uses the Euro base on the relay. Others have had success replacing the individual relay as described here. Relays cost about $3 each.
It is amazing that you come along and have found it not to be a cheap and reliable fix.
Strange that the soldering of the three contacts solves one issue and the relay replacement solves another entirely different issue yet you find they are issues connected by the solder being melted.

With your knowledge could you please go through the posted problems on here and write the definitive fix for each, I am sure that the mods will erase our attempts to fix them and make yours a sticky for each problem.

Old 02-13-2016 | 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Tell us what the difference is please, our RCM uses the Euro base on the relay. Others have had success replacing the individual relay as described here. Relays cost about $3 each.
It is amazing that you come along and have found it not to be a cheap and reliable fix.
Strange that the soldering of the three contacts solves one issue and the relay replacement solves another entirely different issue yet you find they are issues connected by the solder being melted.

With your knowledge could you please go through the posted problems on here and write the definitive fix for each, I am sure that the mods will erase our attempts to fix them and make yours a sticky for each problem.

I'm with you 180.
I feel like the guy in Jurassic Park : You work your entire life on proving something with only the most meager resources, then along comes someone with the 'REAL THING' that supplies all the answers, and your life's work is meaningless.
I think I'll just go get drunk with Max.

Old 02-13-2016 | 09:37 AM

I don't go around parroting the posts of others as gospel.
Neither do I.
I have PERSONALLY replaced relays in at least 4 RCM's that solved the air pump issue, and PERSONALLY re-soldered at least 8 others to resolve no crank issues.
tighed1 has done more than he can count over the last 6 or 7 years with 100% success, as far as I am able to tell.
Bottom line, I respect your opinion.
You do it your way, but I think I'll continue to do it my way and we'll both be happy.

Old 02-13-2016 | 10:02 AM

First of all, I never default to the 'cheap' solution; rather, to a cost-effective (which necessarily includes
quality, longevity, and 100% success) solution. And, again, I don't go around parroting the posts of others as gospel. Replacing the individual relays is cheap and unreliable, from my first-hand experience. I don't know about you, buy my time is valuable to me. So much so that I put my money where my mouth is. To that extent, both of mine not only have new (2014) exact OEM RCMs installed but new (2014) exact OEMs as spares kept in each car. Incidentally, the spares have been installed and verified to be in complete working order.

I don't think it's cost-effective to carry around $145 part when I can carry a soldering iron. I have seen the fix done with a soldering iron at the Dragon, I have done two myself. No parts needed. 100% reliable and saved at least $145.

And it seems even if we all buy a replacement RCM we will need a soldering iron OR another new RCM eventually.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 02-13-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2016 | 10:59 AM

I just bought an outrageously pristine 04 for $2K because the owner 'believed' the A/C fix would have cost him $4.5K.
How does that make you feel? LOL!

Old 02-13-2016 | 11:47 AM

I stand ready, willing and able to share my first-hand successful fixes with members, too.
And TY for sharing.

What gets the attention of the board regulars is a claim way different than any other post we have had before. 180 posed the ??'s earlier about the claims that are new to this forum. If you have new info please share it. I also don't see the link between the circuits you describe and am curious to know.

Old 02-13-2016 | 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=septiccrossfire;859211]First of all, I never default to the 'cheap' solution; rather, to a cost-effective (which necessarily includes
quality, longevity, and 100% success) solution. And, again, I don't go around parroting the posts of others as gospel. Replacing the individual relays is cheap and unreliable, from my first-hand experience. I don't know about you, buy my time is valuable to me. So much so that I put my money where my mouth is. To that extent, both of mine not only have new (2014) exact OEM RCMs installed but new (2014) exact OEMs as spares kept in each car. Incidentally, the spares have been installed and verified to be in complete working order.[/

Complete confidence in your decision? Then why do you have spare RCMS in each vehicle? I think the answer is obvious, presenting your opinions and your discoveries are perfectly acceptable, but your arrogance and your dismissiveness of other members opinions and hard work is not, use this as a teaching moment to hone your etiquette skills, life becomes much more enjoyable when sprinkled with a dash of humility.

Old 02-13-2016 | 12:37 PM

There is no link to the circuit issue other than the RCM recommendations both to buy new and to keep a new spare RCM in the car.
You have 100% faith in the new parts but carry spares anyway. I am not to sure I get your meaning.

Old 02-13-2016 | 12:39 PM

I don't 'feel' this way or that way. I know this way or that way. The car is an inanimate object.

Of course, there are probably members who take theirs to the Jiffy-Lube and get 5w30 conventional oil
and a $0.50 garbage paper filter, not to forget a stripped oil pan from their impact wrench plug reinstall.

I just bought an outrageously pristine 04 for $2K because the owner 'believed' the A/C fix would have cost him $4.5K. It took me 15 minutes to get the A/C ice cold with a $35 used heater control valve from a Merc. on eBay. Found new ones online from a relied-upon source for $175.00/each--you guessed it, snapping 2x of those up to keep in the car as spares.
So instead of helping the man find a cheap solution to his problem , allowing him to continue to enjoy his outrageously pristine crossfire, you saw an opportunity to take advantage of the man's lack of knowledge and fulfill your own greedy self serving needs , you have demonstrated to everyone on this forum what kind of person you are and I for one will have no further dealings with you.

Last edited by kingdavid54; 02-13-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2016 | 12:48 PM

To kindgavid54: I keep a spare RCM in each vehicle because I have the money to do it and I will not fail and neglect to be prepared for a known issue for reasons other than poverty. I also keep same in my classic Mercs and Bimmers and VWs. When you have a problem that money can fix and you have the money, there is no excuse for being cheap.

If only we could all be as fortunate as you financially.. 90% of us would have to take out a 2 year loan for such luxuries as 4 new RCM modules..

Guess I should have gotten RCM's instead of that 3rd car.. but hey NONE of them have had any RCM issue whatsoever..

Old 02-13-2016 | 12:51 PM

And are you implying I need to switch from Dollar General 10w-40 and the cut down roll of paper towels in the filter housing??

Old 02-13-2016 | 12:57 PM

Therein lies the rub. I don't consider necessities as luxuries. I also didn't get into enjoying German cars in order to hoard or penny pinch. I see it, I like it, I buy it. Don't have to check with 'the wife' or my Aunt Minnie or check in with my feelings or Facebookers or dudes or buddies.
Well let me slip you into the special kind of special category I keep a database on..

Old 02-13-2016 | 01:04 PM

There is no link to the circuit issue other than the RCM recommendations both to buy new and to keep a new spare RCM in the car.

Now we are confused even more.

The repair IS listed right here on the forum for an RCM issue and replacement of the entire unit is not one of them so I still don't see your connection to re-soldering for the no start, replacing the fuel pump relay or air pump relay and overheating of solder joints.

Quick Reply: p0410 secondary air injection system malfunction solution?