TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Key Programming

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:30 PM
Default Key Programming

I know this topic has been almost beaten to death. But somehow I must be missing something about programming a new key fob. I have a brand new fob with which I exchanged the uncut key with a spare cut key (fob damaged) by removing the tiny pin at the base of the cut key. So the key fits my car's lock and turns. Now, using the instructions from this forum I understand that:

1. insert key and depress lock or unlock button twice
2. wait 20 seconds and start the car.

My car will not start with that key.

My question. After inserting the key -- do you turn it to the on/run position and then depress the unlock button twice? Or do you just insert it, not turn it, and depress the unlock button twice?

Then you wait up to about 20 seconds, without removing the key, and start the car (or attempt to do so)?

I tried this several times without success. I am quite sure the new fob's batteries are OK as I can see the little light flash inside the red lens, just like my primary key.

The key is my original second key and it fits the ignition. Car wont start at all -- wont even turn over -- with that key tho.

What am I missing?

Thanks...

Old 12-13-2007 | 11:27 PM
Default Re: Key Programming

I bought one of those ebay keyfobs and I have installed the metal key from my working set just to get the remote programmed but I ran into the same difficulties as you have. Here is the explanation.........http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...other-key.html

Old 12-14-2007 | 07:58 AM
Default Re: Key Programming

Originally Posted by calxfire
I bought one of those ebay keyfobs and I have installed the metal key from my working set just to get the remote programmed but I ran into the same difficulties as you have. Here is the explanation.........http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...other-key.html
A lot of good information there...thanks. I guess I'll just have to order one from a dealer; maybe the "Valet" key or flat key, to carry in my wallet.

Thanks!