TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!

Old 07-02-2006 | 12:49 AM
Default Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!

MOD NOTE: This is an old thread, only advice given at the END is valid. Keys are not available from dealers.

I need to be pointed in the right direction... When i bought the car i didn't get a spare (ME BEING AN A**HOLE) and also i just lost my key and I am out of town right now. What do i do??? I saw this key on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200002645286 and i wanted to know if i could purchase it, get it cut (but then i was thinking, how would i get it cut without an original)... I'M confused HELP!!!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-19-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2006 | 03:09 AM
Cool Re: Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!

The key does not have to be cut...just programmed.

Old 07-02-2006 | 04:41 PM
Default Re: Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!

My used '05 came with one key - went to the dealer for a replacement.

1) Retail is about $260 - wholesale was $169 as I run a garage/car lot.
2) Took 30 days to get it after the order - required VIN from car.
3) Key was cut and started car as it was received - however, remote control for door locks did not.
4) Programming remote was $42.50
I do believe a key blank must be cut - and it is a MB style key that a standard key cutting machine cannot duplicate.

Hope your experience is better (quicker & cheaper) then mine.

Henry

Last edited by hpmotors; 07-02-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2006 | 09:12 PM

Kinda sad when you think about it. $250 for a car key? Unreal. As someone who, as my wife puts it, is car key handicapped...yeah, i've lost one or two in my day...this could get real expensive. Is there no alternative way to have a spare key (or more) a something more reasonable?

Old 07-02-2006 | 10:05 PM

My wife and I bought "her car", a new 2004 Crossfire, in November, '04. The dealer could not find the second key. One was ordered but we were told it had to come from Germany.

About two weeks after the purchase, the dealer called and I was told that they'd found the key.

In April, I got a call from the dealer informing me that the key had arrived from Germany. It took more than five months for the key to arrive. It came without batteries. When I picked it up, I was told that the dealer charges approximately $250 for a replacement. I now have three keys.

I've been to a number of locksmiths to see if a key could be made that could be used to open the doors, in case the key accidentally gets locked in the car. Nobody can duplicate the key.

John

Old 07-04-2006 | 07:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JCM298
I've been to a number of locksmiths to see if a key could be made that could be used to open the doors, in case the key accidentally gets locked in the car. Nobody can duplicate the key. John
I don't know about duplicating a key, but there is one that can be used as a spare to unlock your doors in case the FOB gets locked inside. I had to have the glove box tumbler replaced. The dealer ordered one, and it came in a few weeks later and was installed.

A couples of days later, I find this flat key which is cut the same as the one on my FOB. It was laying on the floor on the passenger's side. It will only open the doors and glove box. The engine will fire up for a split second and then it dies. At least I have a spare key in case I lock myself out. It must of come with the tumbler, I never asked.

I don't know if you can order one from the dealer or not, but spare keys to get you back inside of the car are out there.

Note the three point MB star on the flat key.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (44.6 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by ben47; 07-04-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2006 | 04:09 PM

American working in Germany. Long story I lost both keys. Ordered new keys through Chrysler dealership. They told me key must be ordered from the states which sounded odd seeing as XFires are made right here. Now two and a half weeks later I'm told keys are here but so is a new ignition system I never ordered. I was told that this must be done when both keys are lost. I was told this on friday and have had just this weekend to try to inform myself of the possibilities and or standard procedures for replacing lost keys. I really need some solid advice fast. I feel these idiots are trying to pull a fast one on me. I just need a second opinion before I tell these guys to go suck a fat one. Pardon my language but I'm quite heated at the moment. Not to mention that they also now want to charge me 1,000 Euros ($1,300) for everything. A big jump from the 250 Euros originally quoted. Please help!!!

Old 07-23-2006 | 11:40 PM
Cool Re: Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!

Seems kinda weird...new ignition system? Never heard this before, also never heard of anyone losing both keys before either (no disrespect intended). Call a DChrysler dealer in the States and see if you can get some more or the right info.

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:36 PM

This does not answer the DC xfire key issue directly, but it is quite common to have a tiered pricing structure for keys depending on how many the owner has.

My Ford F350 key/fob - have 2, cost is about $40 for a 3rd.
have one - costs about 160 for a second key
have none - costs over 350 to have keys made for the thing.

Mitsubishi Evo VIII - had to buy a new "immobilizer" when key was lost - this is some sort of black box that gives start signal to the ecu after it talks to the key. This ran over $500.

As I said, this does not shed light directly on your situation, but it does lend some level of credence that they are not trying to take advantage of you but actually have to change out parts.

Keep us posted, as this obviously changes the value of a "key".

Henry - who used to be able to "read" a GM key and cut a new key just by looking at the old one - many many moons ago.

Old 07-24-2006 | 07:13 PM
Forum Regular

That "new ignition system" that they talk about might be a new transponder that works with the new keys. Don't know much about them, but one would hope that the old transponder could be re-programmed somehow against the new key sets using some only-Chrysler-knows codes... But, if security is the big issue and that keys are matched to transponders at manufacture time, then maybe that is the case... But they should have notified you that it would require an entire new key-transponder set up. Trying to find service manual might help if you can reference that.

Old 01-27-2007 | 07:58 PM

Anybody know how to program remote? I have a spare key that works the locks by inserting into door and also starts car but remote doesn't work any info. would be helpful.

Old 01-27-2007 | 09:12 PM
Forum Regular

I have both keys and both work fine, however, I have a question...the plastic that holds a key ring has broken in two...so, my key ring pulls off. I don't see anyway around this split other than trying Superglue, but I really doubt it will work for long.

Any body have any bright ideas?
Thanks!

Old 01-27-2007 | 11:19 PM

GolferGirl: The super glue idea is the solution, but not the brand you would find at a local store. Find a hobby store that sells model trains and they will have a special super glue, known as "CA". This glue will work, with the best results and it will permit you to position the parts, before it becomes fused together. I've used the product in the past, on a Nissan fob, successfully. The repair has lasted 8 months, to date. Make sure you use the minimum amount, you do not want any additional glue to seep into the fob, otherwise you will not be able to change batteries in the future. The hobby store owner may assist in this matter...

Good Luck,

DT Menace

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:42 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks so much! I will look into getting some of that glue.
I appreciate the tip!

Stacy

Old 01-28-2007 | 11:08 AM

For the broken key ring holder you can try this 2 part epoxy called JB Weld it is available at most hardware stores or lowes, home depot, etc. It comes in 2 small tubes mix them together and apply. The nice part about it is a grey color when dry so not very noticeable and very strong.

Old 01-29-2007 | 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
Seems kinda weird...new ignition system? Never heard this before, also never heard of anyone losing both keys before either (no disrespect intended). Call a DChrysler dealer in the States and see if you can get some more or the right info.
This I can believe.

I ride a Honda VFR Motorbike, (interceptor) I think you call them in the US.

However, I bought the bike at 12 months old, the previous owner had lost both keys, I have the receipt for the replacement keys and ignition system £1000 so nearly $2,000 US Dollars.

The ignition system is a special Honda HISS security system so unless you have one of the keys you can't get a duplicate.

So store your Xfire keys some where safe, and if you only have one, get another... quick.

Old 02-02-2007 | 01:52 AM

Anyone know more about how to get just the metal key you could carry in your wallet to open a door if the fob gets locked in the car?

- Bill

Old 02-03-2007 | 08:43 PM
Forum Regular

I'm not sure, but I bought a blank blade off of ebay. (I'm still waiting for it.) I went to a lock smith here in town and they said they could dupe it off the original. We'll see.

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:43 AM
FP

Originally Posted by DanielNTX
I'm not sure, but I bought a blank blade off of ebay. (I'm still waiting for it.) I went to a lock smith here in town and they said they could dupe it off the original. We'll see.
Be careful. These keys should be laser cut.

Old 02-04-2007 | 12:03 PM

Isn't there also a chip in the key that must be programmed to match the security system in your car? I know all of this is expensive but I'll bet they are difficult to steel.

Quick Reply: Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!