TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!

Old 02-05-2007 | 06:59 PM
Default Re: Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!

If you lost both keys you are in trouble.
You will need a new ignition as the new key fobs cant be programmed without the spare key...
You will need to buy an ignition with matching key fobs.
The dealer can use the Vin to get the correct blade but, without the matching fobs the ignition it won't start.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-19-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2007 | 07:00 PM

Oh yea and all this high-tech stuff just stops joyriders.
A real thief uses a tow truck...
best of luck, let us know how you make out...

Old 02-06-2007 | 11:19 AM
Forum Regular

I only got one key with my car but the dealer ordered me a spare and sent it in the post a couple of weeks later.
They take a note of your vin plate and order it to fit the car.
Anyway I was told I would have to got to the dealer to get it programmed.
This didn't bother me as the dealer was paying for it anyway.
I found out on this forum you could do it yourself.
I can't remember exactly what I done but I think you just had to unlock the car start and stop the engine then lock and unlock the doors and that's it programmed.
It worked for me.

Norrie.

Old 02-06-2007 | 02:06 PM
Red face Re: Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!

Also only got one key with my '05 crossfire... I was surprised that the local Chrysler 5* Dealer (Hollywood Chrysler Jeep) only charged me $147.50 for a new key/remote!! I say only because everyone around this forum has horror stories of $300 keys taking months to arrive... This one came in exactly 7 days!
I've been keeping a close eye on my key for the past 2 weeks of ownership fearing I would lose it and face a 1k mistake...
So far the best experience I've had with having to spend money on the car...

Old 02-28-2007 | 11:22 PM

I purchased my '05 crossfire in January. Only came with one key. Ordered a 2nd one last Wednesday, arrived from Germany on Friday and only cost $135 programmed through the dealership.

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:08 PM

The dealership that I work for somehow lost both "keys" for a 2005 Lexus SC430 a couple of months ago. The "keys" are those transmitter types that you keep in your pocket adn hit a start button. Well they had to have the keys ordered, replace BCM, and ECU aswell to get it run again. Total cost $2,700 for 2 keys and to get the car running again. Ain't technology GREAT!

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:51 PM
Forum Regular

from what i understand, ok the Dealer can order a key with the vin #,
it will be lasar cut, you can program it, directions are in the owners manual.
also i can start and drive my car without batteries in the key fob, i have done it.

Insert the key into the ignition switch.
Press either the lock or unlock button twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

Old 12-12-2007 | 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hpmotors
My used '05 came with one key - went to the dealer for a replacement.

1) Retail is about $260 - wholesale was $169 as I run a garage/car lot.
2) Took 30 days to get it after the order - required VIN from car.
3) Key was cut and started car as it was received - however, remote control for door locks did not.
4) Programming remote was $42.50
I do believe a key blank must be cut - and it is a MB style key that a standard key cutting machine cannot duplicate.

Hope your experience is better (quicker & cheaper) then mine.

Henry
When I got my new car they had to order the other key, when I asked about programing it they said the tech wasn't there that day! So I made a 2nd trip and they programed it (all they do is put the key in the keyhole!) it self programs!!! Duhhh.

Old 12-12-2007 | 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by CrossfireMan1999
I need to be pointed in the right direction... When i bought the car i didn't get a spare (ME BEING AN A**HOLE) and also i just lost my key and I am out of town right now. What do i do??? I saw this key on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200002645286 and i wanted to know if i could purchase it, get it cut (but then i was thinking, how would i get it cut without an original)... I'M confused HELP!!!
I dont recommend that you buy one of these new, uncut (or cut for that matter) keys from eBay. I bought a new one as a spare months ago. No one can but the blank and it cannot be inserted into the ignition uncut. Go to a dealership and order it. I would let you have my new blank remote for $25 if you want it.

Old 12-12-2007 | 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
The dealership that I work for somehow lost both "keys" for a 2005 Lexus SC430 a couple of months ago. The "keys" are those transmitter types that you keep in your pocket adn hit a start button. Well they had to have the keys ordered, replace BCM, and ECU aswell to get it run again. Total cost $2,700 for 2 keys and to get the car running again. Ain't technology GREAT!
yeah it's like everything no adays, there is all this high technology but we've taken 10 steps backwards. the world is not any better than it was 100 years ago, infact I don't think we've progressed any further as a society,

Old 12-13-2007 | 06:52 AM

Has anyone had any success opening the Crossfire key fob to the extent that the key can be removed? I have thought about trying to "break" the fob open and replacing the uncut key with the cut key from a damaged fob. I just dont want to break the case on a new fob needlessly.

Has anyone found a locksmith anywhere that can laser cut these keys?

Old 12-13-2007 | 06:54 AM
Forum Regular

when i bought my car that was one of the first things, I made sure the bought me a second key.....

Old 12-13-2007 | 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by DICKBEE7631
Has anyone had any success opening the Crossfire key fob to the extent that the key can be removed? I have thought about trying to "break" the fob open and replacing the uncut key with the cut key from a damaged fob. I just dont want to break the case on a new fob needlessly.

Has anyone found a locksmith anywhere that can laser cut these keys?

Don't try to open the keyfob other than the battery cover or else the whole inside gut will spew out on the floor. Do a search on KEYFOB and you will see the pictures posted by someone who did this. Thanks to that forum member who posted the pictures so that some of us do not make the same mistake. If you want to just replace the metal blade part of the key there is a small pin that you need to push out close to the pivot point of the metal key and the casing of the keyfob.

Old 12-13-2007 | 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by calxfire
Don't try to open the keyfob other than the battery cover or else the whole inside gut will spew out on the floor. Do a search on KEYFOB and you will see the pictures posted by someone who did this. Thanks to that forum member who posted the pictures so that some of us do not make the same mistake. If you want to just replace the metal blade part of the key there is a small pin that you need to push out close to the pivot point of the metal key and the casing of the keyfob.
Thank you for that tip...while it took me a few moments, I found what you referred to -- a tiny pin that allows separation of the key blade from the key base. I'm going to try to replace just the key blade on my new, uncut fob with the key blade from my damaged fob spare. I should think that would allow me to insert the key into the ignition to program the new fob. Thanks! I'll report on my success (or failure). Worst case I will just have to order a new fob from my dealer.

Old 12-17-2007 | 01:49 PM

My experience with the key comes from the fact that I only got one when I purchased my crossfire. I called the dealership (not a chrysler dealer) and told them I expect another key for my car. They told me they didn't have one and would order me another one which they did. A week later thay called me that my key was in. Apparently they just ordered it from a Chrysler dealer with the VIN from my car and they shipped the key to them.

The remote part of the key did not function because it has to be programed for the car which I did myself. Read you instruction manual its very easy. To the guy who paid $42.50 or something like that to get it "programed" shame on you if you don't know how to read!!!

Old 12-19-2007 | 01:24 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Yeah, that was me with the exploding remote. Here's the post for those that are curious:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...7&postcount=14

I have SIX key fobs now! And only ONE works!

Two came with the car, one of which I broke trying to change the plastic case on it. The third was given to me by the dealer, and I can't get it to work on my car for love or money.

The last three I bought on ebay, and haven't had a chance to try programming them. Somehow, I doubt that I will need four keys, though. PM me if you're interested in purchasing one of my spare fobs. I wouldn't mind selling one or two of them.

Old 12-19-2007 | 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112
Yeah, that was me with the exploding remote. Here's the post for those that are curious:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...7&postcount=14

I have SIX key fobs now! And only ONE works!

Two came with the car, one of which I broke trying to change the plastic case on it. The third was given to me by the dealer, and I can't get it to work on my car for love or money.

The last three I bought on ebay, and haven't had a chance to try programming them. Somehow, I doubt that I will need four keys, though. PM me if you're interested in purchasing one of my spare fobs. I wouldn't mind selling one or two of them.
Having gone through all of this, my advice is DONT BUY ANY KEY OFF EBAY. They wont work! Here is the reason (from MB forum):

"The USA SLK key fob consists of three separate components integrated into one package: a mechanical ignition key, a radio frequency (RF) transmitter, and a radio frequency identification (RFID) module.

The flat key consists of the combination of a mechanical key and an RFID imbedded in the plastic head.

The mechanical key is of course cut to match the mechanical lock on the ignition switch. It can be removed and replaced from the fob, so it is possible to alter this portion of the fob to match another vehicle.

The RF transmitter is powered by a battery and activated by the buttons on the remote to lock and unlock the doors and, if so equipped, arm and disarm the alarm. It works much like a garage door opener and uses a rolling code technology. This technology requires that the transmitter and receiver be in synchronization. The receiver must know the next code(s) to expect from the transmitter. Since the owner’s manual describes how to synchronize transmitters, it is reasonable to assume that the RF transmitter portion of a fob bought off eBay could be synchronized to your car (although I have never tried it). Note that when you synchronize it is actually the receiver (the car) that is programmed to or learns the transmitter, not vice versa.

The RFID is a small passive device, meaning it has no power supply of its own. Its main components are a coil, a capacitor, and a chip. These components are typically sealed in glass, cylindrical in shape, and quite small – like a grain of rice. In fact they can be made small enough to be imbedded under the skin of animals and even humans. Surrounding the SLK ignition switch is a coil. When you turn your key to start your car, the Dive Authorization System (DAS) sends a high-frequency burst to the ignition switch coil. This induces a current in the nearby RFID coil which charges the capacitor. The capacitor in turn powers the chip for a short time. The chip sends back a coded pulse which is now received by the ignition switch coil and relayed back to the DAS. If the DAS likes it, it tells the ECU to start the engine.

The RFID can be programmed once and only once with a code to broadcast. It can be programmed using a special transmitter. It is programmed with a code, or number, than matches the DAS in your car – in effect, your VIN. Since it cannot be reprogrammed, it is not possible to use one from a different car to start your car.

If you buy a fob off eBay, it will have the RFID already programmed to another car. It can’t be changed."

This is the best explanation I've seen on how those fobs work.

Old 12-19-2007 | 08:29 PM
She can ride with me ;)

You know, I read that whole thing from the BenzWorld forum, and one thing doesn't add up:

An RFID chip is pre-programmed, and it would have to be pre-programmed before it was inserted in the fob. If so, then the actual programmable part of the RFID process is in the car - not the fob. Which is why you can program a brand new key to work with your car - all by yourself - with the method posted above.

The car doesn't program the RFID in the fob, it reads it and puts it into it's own "accept" list.

So, why is it that we can't make the ebay key fobs work? Hmmm...

Old 12-19-2007 | 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112
You know, I read that whole thing from the BenzWorld forum, and one thing doesn't add up:

An RFID chip is pre-programmed, and it would have to be pre-programmed before it was inserted in the fob. If so, then the actual programmable part of the RFID process is in the car - not the fob. Which is why you can program a brand new key to work with your car - all by yourself - with the method posted above.

The car doesn't program the RFID in the fob, it reads it and puts it into it's own "accept" list.

So, why is it that we can't make the ebay key fobs work? Hmmm...
It's my understanding that when you order a replacement key from the factory, they program the RFID chip via your VIN. I suspect there may be a small number of RFID codes; you just have to have the right one with your key.

With the correct code, your car accepts the key; without it, it will not. The programming you do with your car for a new fob does not affect nor relate to the RFID, but merely enables the car to respond to the lock/unlock commands from the fob.

At least that is my understanding. This still means any fob but one pre-programmed to your VIN will not work nor is programmable by you to work.

Old 12-20-2007 | 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by DICKBEE7631
It's my understanding that when you order a replacement key from the factory, they program the RFID chip via your VIN. I suspect there may be a small number of RFID codes; you just have to have the right one with your key.

With the correct code, your car accepts the key; without it, it will not. The programming you do with your car for a new fob does not affect nor relate to the RFID, but merely enables the car to respond to the lock/unlock commands from the fob.

At least that is my understanding. This still means any fob but one pre-programmed to your VIN will not work nor is programmable by you to work.

I have to agree with this explanation....it seems that all those members that have been able to program their keys by themselves had their keys ordered from the dealer and their RFID is the correct VIN code thus they can program their keys to lock and unlock. But those of us who bought used fobs can't do anything with it becauese the RFID does not have our VIN code. I have installed the correct cut key (metal part) to a used fob and it would turn the ignition on but the engine will not start. At the same time the car will not accept the fob for the lock/unlock function.
I'm still waiting for someone to find the workaround this issue if it can be done. So for the new guys in this forum take heed.....don't buy a used fob.

Quick Reply: Lost My Key!!! Someone Help!!!