Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

"Premium Gas"

Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Premium Gas"

I can't believe this subject is still alive. All MB engines I have owned have required prem. so this is just a fact of purchasing a nicer car...we are talking about pennies between the fuel types.. If a person is still thinking about using lower octane fuel to save a quarter or two, a trade-in for a Chevy Aveo, Kia Rio, etc. should also be in there future...

Last edited by respdoc; 10-12-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Re: "Premium Gas"

Originally Posted by rpr1bob
My dealer said, you can use the mid-grade with no bad effects as long as you are at sea level.

San Diego Bob
Your dealer is an IDIOT. I'm sure it was your salesman or service writer that said this. I can assure you DB would take issue with this person. I quite agree with respdoc above, if using premium is such a issue, you should go buy a compact.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbymanbill
Your dealer is an IDIOT.
Hobbyman speaks the truth. Risking a melted/burned-through piston is not worth the buck or two a tank you're going to save (IMHO). Pre-ignition (a.k.a. pinging) is a very bad thing and will eventually ruin your motor.

I would tend to trust the word of the guys that designed the engine over the word of your dealer. If he says its OK to burn cheap gas in your Crossfire I would ask him to quote a technical reference from DC that says its OK to do so.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by rpr1bob
My dealer said, you can use the mid-grade with no bad effects as long as you are at sea level.
I DO hope you've not taken him at his word on the matter.

Total rubbish.

...sT

Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 AM

Since we are on the subject of FUEL...I always use Shell premium in my Crossfire. What does everyone else use and I assume that Shell is good gas...am I right?

Old 10-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kmag50
Since we are on the subject of FUEL...I always use Shell premium in my Crossfire. What does everyone else use and I assume that Shell is good gas...am I right?
Another old and beaten to death topic... ...Most fuel stations get there fuel, no matter the brand, from the same distribution hub thus the minor added ingredients by each company are negligible.

I have always heard, and believe, the condition of the storage fuel tanks at each gas station (meaning older tanks are more prone to some breakdown in the tank lining leading to deposits being injected into your car's fuel tank) play a greater role then is Techron better than Brand X's additives.

Last edited by respdoc; 10-13-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kmag50
I have noticed that some gasolines have a higher sulfur content and during heavy acceleration you can smell the sulfur odor in your Crossfire's exhaust. I haven't noticed this with Shell fuel in my area. However, Shell got in lots of trouble in Florida because some of the gasoline they were selling there had such a high sulfur content that it was ruining fuel gauges in cars. The quality of your fuel is often greater impacted by which refinery it came from then what brand it sells under.

Last edited by Rob M; 10-14-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 AM

Actually respdoc & rob m are both right, current fuels have little to do with brand names and are greatly influenced by the refinery they were produced in, the tanks they were stored and transported in, and the age and condition of the underground tanks in the station from which we buy them. If it makes you feel better to purchase fuel from a particular supplier that's fine. Personally I buy from the lowest cost supplier with the newest station, because I know that gas bought on the spot market and pumped through a newer station with the lowest price in the area, will get a higher throughput and therefore have less chance to get contaminated.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Forum Regular

Car And Driver just had an article concerning the quality of different gasoline's. A new program called Top Tier Gas.

http://toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Sunoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.

Comments/opinions?

Old 10-16-2005, 05:28 PM

I don't see where it's worth risking mechanical issues and decreased mileage when it's only about $2 more for 10 gallons of gas when you buy premium over regular. Considering it's been my experience that running premium fuel gives better mileage and runs more efficiently I think it's worth it. Not to mention the manufacturer wouldn't have recommended it as the minimum if you'd get the best performance from a lower grade gas. Just my two cents though.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Forum Regular

...if we keep this thread alive long enough, it could turn into an experiment. Lets just wait and see how many people (who insist on running the cheap 87 octane fuel) drop out of our club, due to knock-related engine damage, blame DC for building a POS, and sell it in a mad huff for some Toyota or any car. For me, I won't risk it. If I can afford a high end sports car, then I can afford to put the correct fuel in it. For you braver (cheaper?) souls out there, let us know how it works out for you in the end for you, okay? Those who laugh last, laugh the hardest.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:41 PM

The only problem I have using 91+ octane fuel is finding it in mid-Missouri. There is only one station in a reasonable distance from the house that sells 91 octane. Most of the others only have 87 and 89 octane available (I don't count that most also sell diesel which is REALLY HIGH OCTANE).

Old 10-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RickB
The only problem I have using 91+ octane fuel is finding it in mid-Missouri. There is only one station in a reasonable distance from the house that sells 91 octane. Most of the others only have 87 and 89 octane available (I don't count that most also sell diesel which is REALLY HIGH OCTANE).
I know sort of what you mean. I have to travel to a station across town but they are the only one that offers 93 octane. I used to fill up with a closer station that had 91 octane prior. One would think 2 points would not make a difference but it really seems to..

Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

in my area"philadelphia" it is 87, 89, 93 unless you go to sunoco 87, 89, 92, 94. the closest place that has 91 is New Jersey and I don't like going there because they don't follow the laws of our nation.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's really a simple fix guys. http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

We've been doing this for years in all of our race cars that run high boost...

Last edited by HDDP; 10-17-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:00 PM

do you do it to your crossfire?

Old 10-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzelz
do you do it to your crossfire?
I run it in my Crossfire when I'm not at the track. On track days I add "KLOTZ COXOC".

Last edited by HDDP; 10-18-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Oh Boy, you'll get alot of debate over this one. Especially when it comes to pre-firing caused by lower octane and the engine parts that will fail with repeated pre-firing... Get ready for some serious engine repair at 50,000 +/- miles.
Wow, this is all really good to know! Let's see here, I have about 125,000 miles on my Audi A6 and have used regular since day one. So by your calculations I am overdue for 2.5 engine rebuilds!

Or is this just a Crossfire characteristic?

Old 10-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Wink Re: "Premium Gas"

Originally Posted by TXLapDog
Wow, this is all really good to know! Let's see here, I have about 125,000 miles on my Audi A6 and have used regular since day one. So by your calculations I am overdue for 2.5 engine rebuilds!

Or is this just a Crossfire characteristic?
Hey, everybody understands that Audi is below MB in the pecking order on the autobahn. Maybe that is why you can get away with using low octane gas. Either that or Audi has a superior engine management system, which I highly doubt. The Mercs are pretty sophisticated.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by juddz
...if we keep this thread alive long enough, it could turn into an experiment. Lets just wait and see how many people (who insist on running the cheap 87 octane fuel) drop out of our club, due to knock-related engine damage, blame DC for building a POS, and sell it in a mad huff for some Toyota or any car. For me, I won't risk it. If I can afford a high end sports car, then I can afford to put the correct fuel in it. For you braver (cheaper?) souls out there, let us know how it works out for you in the end for you, okay? Those who laugh last, laugh the hardest.
I'm with you 100%. How many times have we read, "For about $2 more to buy premium....". It just looks like a pretty expensive experiment to me!

Quick Reply: "Premium Gas"