Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

AC Recharge ?’s

Old 08-14-2022, 10:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default AC Recharge ?’s

I just replaced my AC condenser as it had a leak and my system is was completely empty of Freon. I know how to vacuum the system and how to charge it the only info I can’t be completely certain on is do I need to add AC oil along with the Freon or is the oil still in the compressor? I only ask this because I’ve read when some of the AC compressors kits on here that have been changed there was already oil in them and Freon was only needed. Thank you in advance for any insight or help into thisendeavor.

Last edited by Sussudio; 09-08-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Re: AC Recharge ?’s

Just in case anyone comes across this post I found the correct numbers of how much AC oil needs to be added when recharging the system after replacing certain parts.

The following users liked this post:
GraphiteGhost (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts
Default Re: AC Recharge ?’s

On a related note - has ANYONE ever replaced major A/C parts and had a reliable system? That is, lasting many years?

I talked to an engineer at a factory that made window and auto A/C units years ago and he said: "It is almost impossible to properly purge and recharge/oil an existing auto A/C system, take good care of it instead and NEVER allow someone to "recharge it" ". I admit that was in 1998/1999, but still....

I have had numerous new and lightly used cars in 40 years. NEVER had had to 'recharge' any of their A/C units. My GMC truck went 285,000 before the condensor was hit by a rock. My Ford Rangers (so far) have all gone to end of life with working A/C. My Ford Van had working A/C on it when I sold it at something around 225,000.

Of course, I follow the instructions of an engineer I worked under at Addison Products/Heat Controller in 1980, same instructions given by home A/C people, gave me:
... The system is designed to move heat, let it do that.
... DO NOT block off vents, and run fan at 75% speed or higher at all times. (This maintains balance between low side and high side.)
... Point air away from you or mix in some heat if it's too cold, DO NOT run the fan on a low setting.
... Put a plastic or fiberglass (non metal) bug screen a few inches ahead of the condensor to keep bugs from clogging the fins up.

Of course, none of the above applies to the new "next generation" A/C in some new cars today, as their pumps are variable and they have a lot of monitoring on them. Old systems were dumb.