Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Yes, another air intake question...

Old 08-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Yes, another air intake question...

I am thinking about making an air intake for my crossfire.
I have done all the reading here on what some have done to their cars and all the controversy.
I believe the stock intake may be constrictive, so i have a plan.
I am going to fabricate one to find out for myself.
I plan on running the car at atco racetrack to get some 1/4 mile times with the stock and modified one on the same day to see how much gain if any is achieved.

The question is...
All the mods i have seen have dual tubes and filters, Why?
What would be the gain of two over one big one?
I plan on running one big tube with one k&n style cone filter with a custom made heat shield.
Before i waste my time... Is there any real reason to run two filters?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Yes, another air intake question...

Test your theories and see what develops...you just may come up with something that others haven't thought of. But, the only way to know for sure, and to satisfy all the 'nay-sayers' on this forum, is to have absolute proof of what you've accomplished (and a couple will still attempt to shoot you down) as they will always assume they know more. Surely you have seen what I'm talking about.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I am doing this for me and that is why I want to test it at the track. I will share my results and don't personally care if anyone believes me because I have nothing to prove.
I will post my results good or bad.
The 1/4 mile test may not be the most scientific approach but I think it will work for me, as long as I can get some consistent base runs.
Anyone have any suggestion on what filter will fit in the front driver side area fender well?
I know a lot of this is going to be trial and error, but i am hoping to get some useable parts the first time.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stryfox- sounds good, if its as nice as saskins i may even be interested in getting one, as i too have thought about trying a custom set up. as far as 1 vs 2 filters. i might be afraid to use just one, cause what if the car isn't getting enough air, then what? just slower? also do you or anyone else no where the stock filter tubes go? do they to the grill? or down into the front bumper? is this like a mini ram air effect? I haven't had time to get dirty and take a look, nor try coming up with some ways for a intake. thanks and good luck, can't wait to see the results. also is your auto or stick? i think a auto might be more consistent imo.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:28 PM

My car is an auto. The factory air intake runs up to and through the radiator support to the grille area.

What I think most people don't understand is "most" factory air boxes do two things:
#1 filters air and deliver it to intake.
#2 Quiets intake air noise. (you know, that sucky sound)

Most normal people find (that sucky sound) unacceptable when shopping for a car and for their drivers.
Now that being said, a tube with a cone filter will do # 1 well but not good at #2.
"Most" factory air boxes loose efficiency at #1 to meet criteria #2.
I like (the sucky sound) so I am going to see if I can improve on trait #1.
I have no interest in making and or selling anything I come up with but I will freely share anything I find out.

Any ideas or help is appreciated as I have an open mind.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Forum Regular

what do you plan on using for the y connector and how are you going to attach it? I thought it went to the grill but wasn't 100% sure, cause the lower bumper opening has those crappy plastic pieces in the corners (no real use or function in my books) and then the middle is open. i thought maybe they went there, then when driving there would be a larger force of air being taken in like a ram air effect right? please correct me if im wrong. would it be more effective this way? and can it be done? cause you would definitely be getting cool air from outside, even on a hot day. plus since the air has to travel a little further it gets a little more chance to cool. kind of like these new turbo set ups that are being installed at the back of the car, instead of in the engine compartment to help it stay even cooler.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so stoked to see all of you working together, and are trying to figure out how to put something together. I think it is great, it is what I was hoping would happen when I started 15 months ago. Cool now you'll get to experience what I got to experience, and see & feel the results of what you create.
You guys are lucky though. At least you have something to look at, and from there you can pick and choose what pieces you would want to keep... have to keep... etc.
I am willing to answer any questions that anyone of you may have. I don't judge any work presented, until you say this is the final piece. So don't feel strange about showing me any work, or don't hold back questions because you may think... that I may think it is stupid. I always think about everyone's best interest. If I see something that I think will hurt you more then help you, then I will tell you ASAP. I won't let you hang yourself out to dry.
Guys!!!... this is so cool. Now at least there will be a few that will be able to truly understand were I'm coming from.
One small thing though. Just be careful if you build it and get inspired to sell it. I know for the most part it is a test, and a fun project. But like I have said a few times I have a patent on the likeness of my system. So I don't want to anyone to screw themselves over by building this great thing, and find out that they can't sell it. (Please don't take that last statement as a threat. By no means do I feel threatened by any of this. I was honestly just trying to save you a little heart ache. I don't want to see anyone invest there time and money into anything that wouldn't pay out for them in the end).

So good luck, and have fun while doing it. I am available to you all pretty much 24/7 you can PM, Email,...send smoke signals. What ever makes you most comfortable go for it. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with...This is so cool.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 AM

I've put together a simple intake, still using the plastic tube from the grill running into the metal tubing.
The Ram Air Filter certainly stays a lot cooler than the original air box so this can not be a bad thing.
Before the slating of how stone age this is, I already know thank you.
I know saskins started with a similar intake and has progressed but this does relieve some more play in the revving.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...cat/500/page/1

Old 08-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i found this in todays gallery...

looks like dryer hose? i wonder about performance improvements or just noise increase? it looks as if it would rub on the underside of the hood. curious of results.

i wish the engine cover could stay in tack when these intakes are added...for the factory look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4177DSC00377-med[1].jpg (64.9 KB, 449 views)
Old 08-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Forum Regular

Not sure if it would work or maybe just some parts, but I do have my stock one up for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

Old 08-25-2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by andrew

i wish the engine cover could stay in tack when these intakes are added...for the factory look.
That is part of the idea I am working on. That is why I am looking for a factory engine cover before I cut mine up.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 AM
Forum Regular

I totally feel the same way about the stock cover. So I have been trying to come up with something that will allow you to keep the stock cover minus the inlet tubes/air filter housing's. However it would only be able to work with my intakes, I don't know what ya'll are going to come up with yet to be able to assist you in converting your air covers. I also am currently working with a company that does carbon fiber work, and may come out with something that can be used in conjunction with my intakes, that will be designed with the Stock look in mind, but also be unique and complimentary to the cars design.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by andrew

looks like dryer hose? i wonder about performance improvements or just noise increase? it looks as if it would rub on the underside of the hood. curious of results.
ANSWER:

I've tried several filters and this is the only one that will fit under the hood in this position.
On british roads (usually wet for nine months) its no good having the filter in the lower of the grill area sucking up water all the time.
I did manage to get hold of a carbon fiber race filter but as the filter housing was not cone shaped it would not fit.
The filter allows freer revving and a bit more torque especially in third (auto) above 2500 rpm.
It sounds no different to the k&n's I had fitted and as I've said it stays cool unlike the plastic housing.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular

macjake what is that made of and where is the filter? any other pics with it on and/or off the car? does the car get less air with only the one tube/filter versus two? granted its bigger, but wouldn't two be more effective? which would be my challenge of finding a y connector of some sort. Saskins, what did you use? was this a custom machined part? or something you found? any info would be great, as coming up with an effective intake would give me something to do in my free time. also i will be planning on a way to keep the cover on, as it would eliminate the "Y" piece problem.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by saskins
I totally feel the same way about the stock cover. So I have been trying to come up with something that will allow you to keep the stock cover minus the inlet tubes/air filter housing's. However it would only be able to work with my intakes, I don't know what ya'll are going to come up with yet to be able to assist you in converting your air covers. I also am currently working with a company that does carbon fiber work, and may come out with something that can be used in conjunction with my intakes, that will be designed with the Stock look in mind, but also be unique and complimentary to the cars design.
I plan on making one that does incorporate the factory cover. I need to just get some free time to gather up some parts and work out some of the details.

I am looking to buy a factory cover to work on, so I don't have any down time, as I plan to do some plastic welding and painting to the original cover.

If anyone has a cover they are not using I am looking to buy one.

Once again I will post any thing I learn, good or bad.

I see this a project as a hobby so I have nothing to loose.

I work on classic mopars for a living doing restorations, so an air box is no big deal; I just want to try to get it right the first time.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Forum Regular

ok, i looked at the air cover, and i notice that after the air filters where it becomes one, it seems like where the air flows becomes even smaller than the inlet tubes. But i was just thinking of taking those inlet tubes, replacing them with metal, and then adding the biggest fitting K&N air filters at the ends, and then removing the stock air filters. any thoughts? would this work? the only thing i'm thinking about is that back end where the two sides meet and drop down, it just seems like it is a lot smaller. so would these mean no matter if there is more air coming in through the k&N's that the engine is still going to be sucking in the same amount of air? or with the k&N's the engine will be getting more? remember i will be using the stock cover. thanks.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:18 PM

Well you won't know for sure until you try. I think the factory box may be restrictive after the air goes through the filters as it seems this is the smallest area. Of course, I do not have a flow bench to test this. I plan on cutting up a factory cover as soon as I get my hands on one at a reasonable price to start mocking up my idea.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheCrossfirekid
ok, i looked at the air cover, and i notice that after the air filters where it becomes one, it seems like where the air flows becomes even smaller than the inlet tubes. But i was just thinking of taking those inlet tubes, replacing them with metal, and then adding the biggest fitting K&N air filters at the ends, and then removing the stock air filters. any thoughts? would this work? the only thing i'm thinking about is that back end where the two sides meet and drop down, it just seems like it is a lot smaller. so would these mean no matter if there is more air coming in through the k&N's that the engine is still going to be sucking in the same amount of air? or with the k&N's the engine will be getting more? remember i will be using the stock cover. thanks.
You would need to built boxes or provide some sort of heat shielding around the filters, so you not sucking in hot engine air.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Forum Regular

right, but what about the question regarding use of the stock cover? is it just as "restrictive" weather i use the inlet tubes, which are rather small in regards to where the air comes from, or if i use K&N cone filters. any ideas as to where or what i could do in regards to the shields? w/o having to go out and paying for something custom made in regards to some "bent metal". i am trying to find an easy, and relatively cheap way to make a custom intake with the stock cover, but most important EFFECTIVE performance wise.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheCrossfirekid
right, but what about the question regarding use of the stock cover? is it just as "restrictive" weather i use the inlet tubes, which are rather small in regards to where the air comes from, or if i use K&N cone filters. any ideas as to where or what i could do in regards to the shields? w/o having to go out and paying for something custom made in regards to some "bent metal". i am trying to find an easy, and relatively cheap way to make a custom intake with the stock cover, but most important EFFECTIVE performance wise.
I would change the whole system (i.e. intake tubes, filters, etc) to max. whatever gains are to be had. I thought I read in one of the posts that the SRT/C32 intake won't work on your guy's cars but since in one of your earlier posts you were talking about a y-connector which is the was the same major restriction point on mine it sounds to me that you have the basic intake layout.

If in fact the C32 intake will actually work on your car...I would go with that one...everything should mount up just like stock...

Quick Reply: Yes, another air intake question...