Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Yes, another air intake question...

Old 08-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Yes, another air intake question...

Originally Posted by saskins
But like I have said a few times, I have a patent on the likeness of my system. So I don't want to anyone to screw themselves over by building this great thing, and find out that they can't sell it.

(Please don't take that last statement as a threat. By no means do I feel threatened by any of this. I was honestly just trying to save you a little heart ache. I don't want to see anyone invest there time and money into anything that wouldn't pay out for them in the end).
Just a thought on how to prevent issues later down the road with other air intake systems:

Post the patent number for your system.

That way whoever seriously decides to undertake a similar project can compare their idea against yours. By doing so there will be no questions if they come up with a system that might infringe on your patent.

Your work/ideas are protected by the patent you applied for and have received. It is also public record, so there should be no problem with you posting the number.

BTW what does it cost to apply for and receive a patent now days? How long did the patent process take?

It's always a good thing to see something like this start off as an idea in someone's garage and then grow into something big. I'm interested in seeing what others come up with. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Saskins. How exactly do you patent a tube with a filter? I am assuming it has to do with specific dimensions or you would be sued by k&n as they must have many patens on tubes.

Just pointing out, if you plan on making something yourself, I say go for it as long as you are not measuring someone else's and making a copy. If you are making it for yourself and not selling it, make or copy anything you wish as all tubes with filters are copied from something.

Like i said before, I have a good plan just need the parts and some time. I guarantee my system will be much more work than others are willing to do and not cost-effective for others to have done but as I stated before, it is a hobby.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stryfox,

I don't know if you can patent a tube with an air filter, if you can, you would have to come up with some really creative writing. No my patent attorney and I came up with a request to be granted patents for it, as a whole system, (dimensions, placement, configuration, etc.) as well as my MAF Integrated housing "Y" Connector, and also the support clamps and brackets. We submitted about 50 drawings, a black and white photos.
K&N couldn't sue me, because I'm not crossing any lines that they have drawn. K&N patented their filters, and trademarked their names on the intakes they produce. K&N couldn't possibly patent every product produced, they develop about 170 new products a year. Besides, they don't have to own everything that they come up with. Their probably the number one largest company in the aftermarket air cleaner/ air induction market. They have had such a successful history. So now they can just be a trendsetter and not worry about owning everything they come up with. I know if they come up with some sort of new technology, or go further into the world of Air Induction, like throttle bodies, or manifolds... then they will for sure patent those products.
So it was imperative to submit a request for a patent in design. Because other wise any one of the few companies that is willing to touch a Mercedes Benz could steel the design. And I would have wasted a whole lot of time and spent way, way to much money on designing an intake for just myself.
Good Luck on your intake Stryfox. If your going to do it the right way, then yes, you will have your work cut out for you. If you love doing it, then all the time you put into it will be less painful. I know, I did countless all nighters, racking my brain on finding the best configuration I could. From bends to accessories added to, every filter type out there. Have fun, and good luck man.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:42 AM

Do you have a patent number? I have been trying to search for it, but no luck. So far, searching under inventor - "saskins", under abstract -"maf" "intake", "mercedes" "intake", "3.2" "intake", under title "air" "intake... all came up empty on your design. Although there are a bunch of designs for air intakes, nearly all by large corporations.

Is your design still in the early stages of patent approval? I searched both, issues patents and published applications, and looked back as far as June 2004.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:49 AM

Did you see A patent number? I didn't see a patent number. Maybe his attorney told him not to tell anyone because of the secret NASA paint that allows his engine to turn 6.5k and make 230 WHP on his buddies DYNO that can make his Crossfire the only one in the universe to do that... Simply amazing. He's like the everyready bunny, he just keeps going & going & going ... TOOO FUNNY.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:36 PM

everyready bunny?? i think you meant energizer bunny. you patented the y connecter?? those things have to exist already.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:07 PM

Funny stuff guys.
Just to let you know I have some parts gathered. I will keep you posted on my progress for those of you interested.
As I said before, I am not saying this will make my car faster this is an experiment. I am not trying to sell or prove my idea is great. If my car runs some better numbers at the TRACK with it we could all learn something from it.
I just can't help myself, I need to tinker.
I will post good or bad results.

OOPS This is STRYFOX, I logged on on someone else's computer, sorry.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ba9801
Funny stuff guys.
Just to let you know I have some parts gathered. I will keep you posted on my progress for those of you interested.
As I said before, I am not saying this will make my car faster this is an experiment. I am not trying to sell or prove my idea is great. If my car runs some better numbers at the TRACK with it we could all learn something from it.
I just can't help myself, I need to tinker.
I will post good or bad results.

OOPS This is STRYFOX, I logged on on someone else's computer, sorry.
Good for you, for what its worth, try a single large inlet. Remember that what you're trying to do is get as much air in with as little turbulence as possible. You can pick up a tenth or two if you can get more cooler less restricted air. You might try opening up one of the air inlets that is in use for the stock intakes in the grill. If you do something that lets you remove the filter easily you can gain a little more (only at the track of course). A large type that gets air unrestricted from outside the car and directs it smoothly into the throttle body will be your best bet. Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Why doesn't everybody just get off his back. Unless you're going to develop your own crap then STFU already. Damn bunch of people who never do anything ragging on the guy who obviously spent many hours trying something. Ugh people suck.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Why doesn't everybody just get off his back. Unless you're going to develop your own crap then STFU already. Damn bunch of people who never do anything ragging on the guy who obviously spent many hours trying something. Ugh people suck.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were told in this thread that he "had" a patent on his system. I suggested he post the # so there would be no confusion if others wanted to build a similar system. Others also asked about the patent #.

Asking questions when someone makes specific statements is not ragging.

Last edited by ben47; 09-16-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Mayman, you're old enough to see through guys like him. If you can't or don't know enough about cars to understand the corner he's painted himself into, then you should try to find out instead of going off on a rant. I know that those of us that are older, are deemed to be HATERS when we don't agree with you. I would submit that the only thing you accomplish is to show your ignorance.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 PM

Just an update, i have collected most of the parts i need and will be building soon. I'll let you know how it is going.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 PM

Ok here it is!
See my gallery.
No I am not making or selling this. Too much time involved to be cost effective.
If anyone wants to make there own i'll put together a parts list and some tips.
I think it feels a little faster but I won't know till the spring when I take it to the track.
I have a full factory air box also so I plan on running both just to see the gain if any.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stryfox
Ok here it is!
See my gallery.
No I am not making or selling this. Too much time involved to be cost effective.
If anyone wants to make there own i'll put together a parts list and some tips.
I think it feels a little faster but I won't know till the spring when I take it to the track.
I have a full factory air box also so I plan on running both just to see the gain if any.
Nice professional looking job... KUDO's.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Forum Regular

stryfox - you said you wanted input - OK I see two 90 degree turns in your intake tube, each turn slows the speed of the air flow being delivered to the intake. I also notice you have you filter down close to the exhaust manifold, don't you think the air will be hotter coming from that area of the engine compartment? I know I got no ideas that would work any better, but I'm just doing what you ask me and others to do.

No one seems to be into a hood scoop, I'm talking ram air straight into the heads, no tubes, no hot air, and all high speed... but that would be a major look for the Crossfire hood... and maybe more money then it would be worth... hooah but then again the faster one would go the more ram air one would gain, sooner are later you would gain as much forced air induction as the turbo on the srt6.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by FirebaseD; 01-02-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:42 AM
Forum Regular

How does it sound, Stryfox?
One more tip, you'll be sucking colder, denser air if you can extend your intake down to just above the bottom of the car. The most effective CAI (as I learned from my days tinkering with sport compacts) do this. With my Crossfire bundled up for the winter, I can't go look for myself, to see if there is enough room. While CAI (that extend to the base of the wheel houses) do get more hp generally, they increase your chances of water intrusion (if you drive through a deep enough puddle, and pull enough vacuum to suck up water). With your short ram setup, you won't run that risk, but as FirebaseD notes, you are probably sucking air that has been warmed by the exhaust system. I have debated the effectiveness of custom intakes on Crossfires, but I would love it if someone would prove me wrong. That would open the door to a potential easy hp gain.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the input, I have a heat shield in the works that will also help direct cold air.I drive it everyday so I don't want to go too low and suck up water.
Between the air intake and the magnaflow muffler it sounds very performance oriented, but not rice like.
The 90* bends were nessasary to fit, notice the MAF has been relocated which helps cut down on restriction and added room for the system. It stays 3" from filter to inlet.

Last edited by stryfox; 12-31-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebaseD

No one seems to be into a hood scope, I'm talking ram air straight into the heads, no tubes, no hot air, and all high speed... but that would be a major look for the Crossfire hood... and maybe more money then it would be worth... hooah but then again the faster one would go the more ram air one would gain, sooner are later you would gain as much forced air induction as the turbo on the srt6.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
FirebaseD, I must be "old school" like you, because I think a true Sports/Muscle Car should have a hood scoop too. There's just one problem. For a scoop to attain any "Ram Air" effect, it must be placed high enough above the hood to actually recover the higher velocity "free stream" air that flows just above the low velocity "boundary layer", sometimes called "dead air".
Or it needs to be positioned well forward to "funnel" the wall of air that the car is punching a hole thru.
Some examples of cars with very "functional" ram air type hood scoops would be, Subaru's WRX STI, 69 440 6 Pac Road Runner, 70 Challenger T/A, 69 Rambler Scrambler. Or a forward position style like the 69/70 Hurst Olds, 70 Formula Firebird, or the last year Trans Am. Unfortunately, none of which (I think) would look very good on our Crossfires. Probably the most "unobtrusive" scoop design for the Crossfire hood would be the "Naca Duct" style used on the 69 Shelby Mustangs, and Viper GTS.
Most of the hood scoops used on the muscle cars of the past, had very little (if any) ram air capability because they were simply placed to low on the hood. Oh sure they enabled the engine to "inhale" cooler outside air, but that was about the extent of their performance contribution. Their aesthetic value was of course, "priceless", or "worthless", depending upon your own personal point of view.

For the last couple of months, I've been collecting the necessary materials needed to assemble a "retro style" hood scoop for my Crossfire. So far I've spent around $800, and that doesn't include the cost of labor the body shop is going to charge me for it's fabrication. When completed it's only going to be a cosmetic enhancement to my car, but I'm sure it could be made "functional" with a little more work. How beneficial would it be? I suspect marginal at best. But since I don't plan on making it that way, I guess I'll never know.
FirebaseD, I just wanted you to know, you weren't alone in your "hood scoop envy".

Old 01-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Forum Regular

This is the type of hood scoop I would be talking about, with a ram air box under the hood. Yes this would look very good on the Crossfire. What do you think folks? My Crossfire is also blue... if I look at the photo out of the corner of my eyes I can almost see my Crossfire in the photo. hooah

Last edited by FirebaseD; 01-03-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
This is the type of hood scoop I would be talking about... What do you think folks?
yuck yuck yuck...

Quick Reply: Yes, another air intake question...