Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Wiring conundrum

Old 08-10-2021, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring conundrum

To make a long story short, the rats ate the wires under the driver-side fuse box and I'm soldering them back together. My problem is that there are two identical light green, no stipes wires. Using a river analogy. On one side of the river are 2 greens, one with voltage and one with no voltage (hot and not) on the other side of the river, I have the same situation, 2 greens, "hot" and "not". My thinking would be the "hot" wire on the north side of the river would go to the "not" wire on the south side of the river and the "hot" wire on the south side of the river would go to the "not" hot wire on the north side of the river. HELP!

Last edited by Mr. Max; 08-11-2021 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:43 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Wiring conundrum

Originally Posted by Mr. Max
To make a long story short, the rats ate the wires under the driver-side fuse box and I'm soldering them back together. My problem is that there are two identical light green, no stipes wires. Using a river analogy. On one side of the river are 2 greens, one with voltage and one with no voltage (hot and not) on the other side of the river, I have the same situation, 2 greens, "hot" and "not". My thinking would be the "hot" wire on the north side of the river would go to the "not" wire on the south side of the river and the "hot" wire on the south side of the river would go to the "not" wire on the north side of the river. HELP!
Sometimes these small wires have barely noticeable coloured lines down them, visible at some points down the wire and not at others. I cannot see two green wires side by side.
Have you found the schematic of the fuse box?

Old 08-11-2021, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Sometimes these small wires have barely noticeable coloured lines down them, visible at some points down the wire and not at others. I cannot see two green wires side by side.
Have you found the schematic of the fuse box?
Thanks, OneHundred80, I can't see any difference on the wires. There might be one somewhere down the line but it is pretty hard to get "down the line." That Rat Bastard picked the worst possible place to sharpen his teeth. I've poured over the schematics to no avail. I think I'm pretty safe comparing the length of the wires, long on one side of the break to short on the other side of the break and vice versa. The rat would have had to take a section out for that not to work. However, I thought I CYA and throw it out to you all before I proceeded with wire surgery. Thanks again, Max

Old 08-11-2021, 06:46 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Just make a choice. but do so with a small in line fuse like 1 amp or so and see what happens. At least you can get a feel for the hookup and fusing BOTH leads will afford some protection. Woody Enjoy.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:38 AM
Received 502 Likes on 428 Posts

The size of the wire (gauge) would be an indicator of the current designed to pass through the circuit. Putting a 1 amp fuse there if the circuit is designed for higher may lead you astray as it may blow due to its normal current flow. Your comment " I think I'm pretty safe comparing the length of the wires, long on one side of the break to short on the other side of the break and vice versa. " makes a lot of sense seeing as a harness assembled seems to follow that logic (unless they are normally exposed and jumbled where that damn bastard rat went to sharpen teeth). Leaving them disconnected and finishing the splice, then seeing if the car works/runs, would then let you know what circuit(s) to look up for the color codes your seeing. Two suggestions offered, your choice to consider. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Max
To make a long story short, the rats ate the wires under the driver-side fuse box and I'm soldering them back together. My problem is that there are two identical light green, no stipes wires. Using a river analogy. On one side of the river are 2 greens, one with voltage and one with no voltage (hot and not) on the other side of the river, I have the same situation, 2 greens, "hot" and "not". My thinking would be the "hot" wire on the north side of the river would go to the "not" wire on the south side of the river and the "hot" wire on the south side of the river would go to the "not" hot wire on the north side of the river. HELP!
First off I'm very sorry to hear about that happening.

There are actually two fuse box panels on the driver side. You have the fuses accessed through the side of the dash on the driver side. That is part of the Illumination Control Module. Looking at the 2007 service manual the wiring pin outs, color codes, and purpose is on pages 8W-080-35/36. I didn't see any light green listed.

The second fuse block which is under the hood on the driver side is the Underhood Accessory fuse block. The fuse list, wire colors, and funtion are on pages 8w-10-3. I didn't see light green only wires listed here either.

There are located there as well.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:07 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I happen to have a used spare Illumination Module with pig tails. I pulled it out to check the wire colors. It has three light green wires with white strips and a single light green wire with no color strip. The all green wire is listed in the Illumination Control Module B connector pin out diagram (provided above). It's # 14 pin connector with a wire color of DG which stands for Dark Green. It certainly looks light green to me. It's function is Fused Illumination Control Module Output. LG would be for Light Green. There are no other green wire color codes in the wire color code chart.

Last edited by Toolman; 08-11-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:20 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have to say the effort that people like Toolman put into this forum makes it great place. Thank you Toolman!

Old 08-11-2021, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Just make a choice. but do so with a small in line fuse like 1 amp or so and see what happens. At least you can get a feel for the hookup and fusing BOTH leads will afford some protection. Woody Enjoy.
Great idea, Woody, Thanks! Jeff

Old 08-11-2021, 08:18 PM
Smile Re: Wiring conundrum

Originally Posted by Toolman
I happen to have a used spare Illumination Module with pig tails. I pulled it out to check the wire colors. It has three light green wires with white strips and a single light green wire with no color strip. The all green wire is listed in the Illumination Control Module B connector pin out diagram (provided above). It's # 14 pin connector with a wire color of DG which stands for Dark Green. It certainly looks light green to me. It's function is Fused Illumination Control Module Output. LG would be for Light Green. There are no other green wire color codes in the wire color code chart.

WOW! Talk about an "above and beyond the call of duty" answer. I didn't expect such a fantastic reply. Thank you, Toolman, Jeff (Mr. MAX)

The following users liked this post:
Doc78 (08-11-2021)