Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Sounds like a taser...

Old 02-19-2020 | 04:30 PM
Default Sounds like a taser...

So my 2004 Crossy Coupe just started doing this...it's almost likened to a taser electrical popping noise that typically starts about 2-3 minutes after start-up. Could it be a bad coil pack? Sounds like its coming from the top of the engine, driver side.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2714 (1).MOV (1.79 MB, 36 views)
Old 02-19-2020 | 06:30 PM
Default Re: Sounds like a taser...

Cam follower

How long has it been sitting?
how long on oil change ?
What oil you have in it ?

Old 02-19-2020 | 07:00 PM
Administrator

I think new lifters are in your future. I could be wrong, but "MrPeebody"'s car sounded like that, they ended up changing every lifter on the passenger side of the engine. I think that cost around $550.

But SPeedy's questions should be answered first...

Old 02-20-2020 | 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Cam follower

How long has it been sitting?
how long on oil change ?
What oil you have in it ?
The oil was changed right before I bought it...Mobil 1. I wanna say 5w40. And yeah, its been sitting for a while. Was only previously driven in the summer months and its been sitting for a while til now...

Old 02-20-2020 | 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I think new lifters are in your future. I could be wrong, but "MrPeebody"'s car sounded like that, they ended up changing every lifter on the passenger side of the engine. I think that cost around $550.

But SPeedy's questions should be answered first...
IDK...it just doesn't sound like its mechanical to me...it really sounds like a taser going off...

Old 02-20-2020 | 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by STCross
its been sitting for a while til now...
Is common on a m112.
did it go away after warmed up, sounds alittle more aggressive than others from video.

Mine did it when i 1st got it, warmed up it went away, fresh oil change and went away, i have not changed mine, and i bought with 50k and i have 189k atm.

did you let it run, or shut it off when you heard the sound ?

And reccomend oil is 0w40, Mobil 1 synthetic is what I use, about $25 for 5 at jug at walmart.

What the sound, sounds like to me.

You can go to a autoparts store and get a mechanic's stethoscope and poke around where the noise is coming from, to help you pin point.

Old 02-20-2020 | 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Is common on a m112.
did it go away after warmed up, sounds alittle more aggressive than others from video.

Mine did it when i 1st got it, warmed up it went away, fresh oil change and went away, i have not changed mine, and i bought with 50k and i have 189k atm.

did you let it run, or shut it off when you heard the sound ?

And reccomend oil is 0w40, Mobil 1 synthetic is what I use, about $25 for 5 at jug at walmart.

What the sound, sounds like to me.

You can go to a autoparts store and get a mechanic's stethoscope and poke around where the noise is coming from, to help you pin point.

Car was on for about 3 mins and then the sound started. I didn't let it run much longer after that. I guess I can let it run longer to see if it stops. Or maybe drive around a bit and see then. Just don't want to damage anything.

I'm gonna change the oil myself and see how it reacts. And thanks, I'll get 0w40 Mobil 1. Again...its weird. Really sounds like a taser popping...

Old 02-20-2020 | 02:53 PM

It will run rough, but try unplugging the coil packs one at a time and see if it goes away.

Old 02-21-2020 | 12:04 PM

Hi,
My ears are are telling me ignition shorting to ground. Try spraying WD40 on the wires and coil packs, it will insulate for a short time. And as noted carefully remove one wire at a time to prove out one of the plug wires shorting out.
Best of luck

Old 02-21-2020 | 12:27 PM

If it was a Spark related problem the engine would not run smoothly at all. I am pretty deaf but my guess is a fuel injector problem.
If a spark plug wire or coil pack is arcing then no spark is at the plug inside the engine, the spark will ground to the first place it can.
Any codes been set?

Old 02-21-2020 | 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If it was a Spark related problem the engine would not run smoothly at all. I am pretty deaf but my guess is a fuel injector problem.
If a spark plug wire or coil pack is arcing then no spark is at the plug inside the engine, the spark will ground to the first place it can.
Any codes been set?

Remember, there are two plugs to a cylinder. If one of them coil to plug wires are arc-ing to ground then the engine may still run without a miss. Also, I would not suggest you spray any WD-40 onto a wire that arc's or you might get a flareup (fire). Good luck!

Old 02-21-2020 | 02:35 PM

If it was a coil or plug, regardless, wouldn't this ecu and knock detector show a problem before ours ears can hear it?

Never heard a fuel injector that loud.

Can pull the plugs on that side and inspect each one and would tell you if there was a fuel or spark issue.
alot can be told about a engine by the condition and color of the plugs.

A vacuum gauge can tell the condition of a engine, if vacuum is good and steady needle on gauge.

Old 02-24-2020 | 10:47 AM

yeah, it seems to be intermittent now. When I started it up yesterday...let it idle for about 5 mins and the sound did not happen. Took it out for a drive, it ran great, came home and parked. Popped the hood and all sounded fine. Then the popping started again...then it stopped. Its very weird...
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. There are no check engine/idiot lights so was told nothing could be scanned...

Old 02-24-2020 | 02:59 PM

Hi!

Another trick we used to do back in the day was wait till its dark then start the engine and look for a spark jumping. Also with the parking brake on, have a friend give it some gas (not too much) with a left foot on the brake. This puts a load on the engine and can help locate a spark jumping.
Stay with it, you'll find it!
Best of luck

Old 03-05-2020 | 07:48 PM

How did things go ?

Old 03-05-2020 | 09:35 PM

kind of annoying...but it just comes and goes. something electrical is either failing or acting wonky. I took it out for a quick spin this afternoon and when I got home, I heard it happen for a couple seconds...I pull open the garage door, walk back past the motor and it stops...purring like an '04 with 77k miles on it. :-)

I need to check that each plug wire is on tight. And to top it off, the BAS/ESP light came on today. It usually does this when I let it idle for more than a few minutes. It also did the same thing on my 06 Charger RT. Ugh...oh well.