Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

skreem module

Old 10-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: skreem module

Originally Posted by phil alvirez
bad news, but at least now we know. thank you very much for telling. this puts an end to that search. it is better to know the truth than having false hopes.
o well...
This has been common knowledge on this forum for years and years and has been restated recently.
It must be programmed for a certain VIN with a code that is seemingly only known to Chrysler and they share this info with just one subcontractor who does the work on the SKREEM modules. Mercedes has no input in this matter and is helpless to do anything about it even if they wished to, which they don’t.

The attitude by Mercedes on the Crossfire is very odd, and has surely cost them customers who currently have or have had a Crossfire. Surely a policy that deters customers is not one that any corporation should have. Likewise Chrysler’s attitude is very similar, no one wants to do any service unless it is easy, like oil changes and brake jobs.

The whole affair seems like an unresolved battle in a divorce court over support for a child that neither parent wants the responsibility for, the only loser being the child.

I think that a SKREEM module from an identical or maybe just similar car which has had the VIN number and the key info from the old unit added should do the trick. Would there be a need for another level of security like a secret number matched to the the ECU? I doubt it but who really knows.
We have a top notch technical whiz who works for Chrysler, and he has not had any input on this lately.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This has been common knowledge on this forum for years and years and has been restated recently.
It must be programmed for a certain VIN with a code that is seemingly only known to Chrysler and they share this info with just one subcontractor who does the work on the SKREEM modules. Mercedes has no input in this matter and is helpless to do anything about it even if they wished to, which they don’t.

The attitude by Mercedes on the Crossfire is very odd, and has surely cost them customers who currently have or have had a Crossfire. Surely a policy that deters customers is not one that any corporation should have. Likewise Chrysler’s attitude is very similar, no one wants to do any service unless it is easy, like oil changes and brake jobs.

The whole affair seems like an unresolved battle in a divorce court over support for a child that neither parent wants the responsibility for, the only loser being the child.

I think that a SKREEM module from an identical or maybe just similar car which has had the VIN number and the key info from the old unit added should do the trick. Would there be a need for another level of security like a secret number matched to the the ECU? I doubt it but who really knows.
We have a top notch technical whiz who works for Chrysler, and he has not had any input on this lately.

Mercedes - "The best or nothing at all." BS. They will get their day in court. I think we have a way of getting the original Skreem units repaired and functional. See other SKREEM threads. These modules are not wear items like brake pads the need replacement. A very sharp guy at MDP in FL can repair the one you have. Mb forced Chrysler to use crap systems like this yo-yo and the recirculating ball steering system just to make more $$$. They deserve what they are going to get.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by wolfstalker
Mercedes - "The best or nothing at all." BS. They will get their day in court. I think we have a way of getting the original Skreem units repaired and functional. See other SKREEM threads. These modules are not wear items like brake pads the need replacement. A very sharp guy at MDP in FL can repair the one you have. Mb forced Chrysler to use crap systems like this yo-yo and the recirculating ball steering system just to make more $$$. They deserve what they are going to get.
They are not going to get anything, these guys have deep pockets and can out hustle you with money, the best lawyers and time. They have lawyers on retainer that will outwit most people except the most dogged with deep pockets.
Who is to be sued, MB? The defunct Chrysler Corp? Obscure holding companies? Fiat? Take your pick but you can be sure each one has a solid defence like ‘Not my problem’.
Just get the SKREEMs fixed or replaced with something simpler, a much faster and cheaper solution.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Given how much anguish the situation with the car has put you in, I recommend following through with selling it after you get the parts back and it's working. Why risk going through that again?

Old 11-09-2019, 12:36 PM

We have seen lots of posts on failed SKREEMs, but what is the percentage of the failures?
How many of the failures are due to failed components inside the module?
Is the panic overblown?

Old 11-09-2019, 04:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are not going to get anything, these guys have deep pockets and can out hustle you with money, the best lawyers and time. They have lawyers on retainer that will outwit most people except the most dogged with deep pockets.
Who is to be sued, MB? The defunct Chrysler Corp? Obscure holding companies? Fiat? Take your pick but you can be sure each one has a solid defence like ‘Not my problem’.
Just get the SKREEMs fixed or replaced with something simpler, a much faster and cheaper solution.
Are you an attorney?

Old 11-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Are you an attorney?
No, I had to work for a living.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

180 is correct with not getting anywhere with a lawsuit. I am actually surprised you got a Lawyer to take on the case.
If a lawyer is taking on the case it is only for one reason. If you look at the settlements with car companies it generally follows this path.
Lawyers get a cash payment. Affected litigants in case will get a voucher for 1000-2500 on their next new car purchase from manufacturer.
This happened to me with bad primer on Ram truck. I did not use the voucher, I assume many don't. Cheap way out for them.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you an attorney?
No, I had to work for a living.
Touche!

Well played, Dave!