Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Let's discuss the key fob transponder chip(s)

Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Let's discuss the key fob transponder chip(s)

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I do miss CW contesting on HF, tho.
CQ CQ CQ DX
My mobile rig has been in a box since returning from Saudi over 20 years ago.
Everyone had these little radios called cell phones with better range than my 2M rig, oh well - BT

Old 12-17-2018, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pizzaguy has it right on.

My understanding is that these remotes do not lock to specific vehicles, the transponder does.

The FOB/Remote can be reprogrammed to other vehicles by inserting the key into the ignition switch, press either the unlock/lock twice, then turn the key in the ignition to the ON position within 30 seconds. So in a way, it is a universal remote. Have I tried it on a crossfire myself, no. But I would like to own one and upgrade the engine to a V8 along with testing out all immobilizer theories .

Old 12-17-2018, 08:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Ex WN8VUX, Ex WB8BUX, currently WR8Y.

Have not been active in over ten years. I do P25, NXDN and DMR all day long at work.

I do miss CW contesting on HF, tho.
K5WX here. I'm currently sitting at 99 countries confirmed for my DXCC. Goal is to get number 100 confirmed by the end of the year....and almost all of them are using CW, low power, and wire antenna.....!

Old 12-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by jafaryj
pizzaguy has it right on.

My understanding is that these remotes do not lock to specific vehicles, the transponder does.

The FOB/Remote can be reprogrammed to other vehicles by inserting the key into the ignition switch, press either the unlock/lock twice, then turn the key in the ignition to the ON position within 30 seconds. So in a way, it is a universal remote. Have I tried it on a crossfire myself, no. But I would like to own one and upgrade the engine to a V8 along with testing out all immobilizer theories .
Good idea but a key will not fit every car, so you cannot turn it. I think only when the SKREEM recognizes the chip will it respond to the boards signal when inserted in the ignition and authorize the synchronization. Other keys that fit and turn will be ignored because the chip does not match, seems logical to me.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Good idea but a key will not fit every car, so you cannot turn it. I think only when the SKREEM recognizes the chip will it respond to the boards signal when inserted in the ignition and authorize the synchronization. Other keys that fit and turn will be ignored because the chip does not match, seems logical to me.
Agree with 180; the SKREEM will only accept changes to the RKE lock/unlock code if the Fob chip code matches the SKREEM's.
That said, after disconnecting the battery and replacing the SKREEM, I twice clicked the fob from outside the car, THEN inserted the key, turning it to ON/RUN within the 30 seconds.
The new SKREEM accepted the fob RKE code and the lock/unlock functions worked A-OK.
So, the key does not have to be in the halo when pressing the fob button.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chooch
Agree with 180; the SKREEM will only accept changes to the RKE lock/unlock code if the Fob chip code matches the SKREEM's.
That said, after disconnecting the battery and replacing the SKREEM, I twice clicked the fob from outside the car, THEN inserted the key, turning it to ON/RUN within the 30 seconds.
The new SKREEM accepted the fob RKE code and the lock/unlock functions worked A-OK.
So, the key does not have to be in the halo when pressing the fob button.
True, but the 30 seconds is a window that keeps the halo waiting for the key input.
There is a thread here somewhere that a guy posted that after purchasing a key from a dealer the dealer said for $100 they would program the key, the guy laughed, pointed the key at the car, hit the button twice, sat in the car, started it and waved as he drove away.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Received 608 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by CL770
Hi

For anyone that wants to experiment with making/duplicating their Crossfire keys. The correct blank chip to use is a PCF7935AA

Like these ones on eBay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-PC...s/172143666760

You can program them with this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD2-Min...w0E9:rk:1:pf:0

Have fun!
Are you telling us that by purchasing these chips & the Smart Zed Bull device, someone could make duplicate keys for the Crossfire, assuming we can get our hands on blank keys at a reasonable cost.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:08 PM

Hi

For anyone that wants to experiment with making/duplicating their Crossfire keys. The correct blank chip to use is a PCF7935AA

Like these ones on eBay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-PC...s/172143666760

You can program them with this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD2-Min...w0E9:rk:1:pf:0

Have fun!
OK, if we had the above listed items could we duplicate our key using a blank fob shell.
We would clone the chip and get the key blank cut to our original key.
We could not remotely open or close the doors or use the alarm.
We would just use the physical key to lock/unlock the doors, hatch and gas cap.

Would we need to remove the chip from our original fob which seems to be risky at times or leave it in place?
We could make back up keys as insurance in the event we lost keys for much less money than buying a new key.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I listed this information because this is what I use and it works fine for me!

I'm also looking at the SKREEM modules with another forum member and I'd like to know from someone who has had a SKREEM failure if the no start issue effects all the keys for the car or just one key? If someone can tell me this it would narrow the failure down a bit.
always occurs with all existing keys so far as my experience

Old 12-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

OK, if we had the above listed items could we duplicate our key using a blank fob shell.
We would clone the chip and get the key blank cut to our original key.
We could not remotely open or close the doors or use the alarm.
We would just use the physical key to lock/unlock the doors, hatch and gas cap.

Would we need to remove the chip from our original fob which seems to be risky at times or leave it in place?
We could make back up keys as insurance in the event we lost keys for much less money than buying a new key.
Hi 180

You don't need to remove the chip from the key fob. You can place the key fob in the machine and read the file from the chip, no problem at all. When reading the key or writing a new chip, you need to make sure its vertical in the receptacle, otherwise it wont work

Old 12-27-2018, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
always occurs with all existing keys so far as my experience
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to narrow the failure down a bit. From what I've read, the same DAS system is used on the latter model Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS), the SKREEM and the EIS both use the same Motorola CPU chip to store the key information. BTW, the immobilizer in the EIS's also works with our Crossfire ECU (which is another solution if nothing else works). When the EIS's fail, it's usually because the file on this chip gets corrupted. It's only a small file and I've been trying to work out it's format. I have a decoder that can read these files and give me the information for the eight associated key files (so I can make the keys) but I want to try and work out where the serial number it shares with the ECU is kept. I expect it will take quite a while to understand the basics of these files.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Any idea if this is the same reader/programmer ? Also is the same chip used in the valet key ?

Old 12-27-2018, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Any idea if this is the same reader/programmer ? Also is the same chip used in the valet key ?
Hi

Yes, it looks to be the same and should do the job. I use mine on an older laptop that runs Windows 7 32bit, make sure you follow the instructions when setting up the software. I don't have a valet key for my car, but it should be the same chip.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 PM

I have never seen a valet key for the Crossfire and it is not m3ntioned in any literature that I have seen. Do you have one?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

As far as I know there is NO valet key. If you have one I'd like to see a photo please . . .

Old 12-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Duplicate post . . . Please disregard . . .

Old 12-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

CL770/RED DOG/ onehundred80 - Gentlemen - I've read the post's that all of you have made and I prompted up the ebay ad for the reader/programmer. I read the entire description for the tool mentioned but I can't make any sense of the description. Too many shortcut initials for me. I don't understand the description at all. Can anyone write up a "everyday English" description of the tool, what it can do, how to do it, and what transponder chips are used to duplicate a busted up key fob? On the ebay site you remember "Autel" as the company or manufacturer. They also have a listing for blank (I think) transponder chips. Several, and with many different descriptions. That too, is confusing and to the everyday home car jockey, has too many numbers and initials.

Is there a everyday English translation to all this electronic description that the layman can understand? If so, please point me in that direction. I would like to try and understand what this tool and the many chips do.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
CL770/RED DOG/ onehundred80 - Gentlemen - I've read the post's that all of you have made and I prompted up the ebay ad for the reader/programmer. I read the entire description for the tool mentioned but I can't make any sense of the description. Too many shortcut initials for me. I don't understand the description at all. Can anyone write up a "everyday English" description of the tool, what it can do, how to do it, and what transponder chips are used to duplicate a busted up key fob? On the ebay site you remember "Autel" as the company or manufacturer. They also have a listing for blank (I think) transponder chips. Several, and with many different descriptions. That too, is confusing and to the everyday home car jockey, has too many numbers and initials.

Is there a everyday English translation to all this electronic description that the layman can understand? If so, please point me in that direction. I would like to try and understand what this tool and the many chips do.

Thanks,

Jim
You get an A for effort, but it is all beyond me so I am following CL770, if he says something then I go along with it.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
As far as I know there is NO valet key. If you have one I'd like to see a photo please . . .
No valet key has appeared anywhere I have read.
A valet key should;
Open drivers door.
Start the engine and allow the car to be driven wildly up a winding driveway to the top floor of a parking garage with the sound of screeching tires echoing back down to you. This of course ruins the grand meal you have waited months for and will be paying big bucks for. Knowing full well that the same thing will happen when they bring the car back down and deliver it back to you in a cloud of smoke. You will of course ignore the hand held out for a tip. If you are lucky there will be no dents and no significant miles added to the odometer. As you drive away you will see in the rear view mirror the car jockeys waving and smilingly at you and giving each other high fives. You may or may not see the time to get to the top floor chalked up just like on Top Gear. That’s when you decide that next time you’ll take the clapped out wreck your kid drives.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

OY.
Ok I have received the five RFID chip. Programmer from eBay should be here on the 8th. The "valet key" below can manually open the door or trunk and operate the ignition/start/run the car.It just has no remote capability.
By the muddle of January I should be able to answer other questions.

Anyone know where I can get just a circuit board ?

Quick Reply: Let's discuss the key fob transponder chip(s)