Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Let's discuss the key fob transponder chip(s)

Old 01-31-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 430 Likes on 378 Posts
Default Re: Let's discuss the key fob transponder chip(s)

Also SOS Diagnostics.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:37 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

I have two functional fobs, what I would like is a simple key with the chip installed in it. It would basically just manually open and close the door and start the car. This seems a simple enough answer if the chips can be made, is it possible someone can do it?

Old 01-31-2021, 11:41 AM

Yep, SOS Diagnostics.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:10 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have two functional fobs, what I would like is a simple key with the chip installed in it. It would basically just manually open and close the door and start the car. This seems a simple enough answer if the chips can be made, is it possible someone can do it?

Yeah, I will be able to in a week or so (waiting on key maker that’s en route) and it sounds like Viper can (as well as SOS and Needswings). That’s the ‘valet key’.

Back to the SKREEM updates.
I successfully pulled and read the processor, and the EEprom. I can’t figure out why it doesn’t communicate though. There’s no visible damage or obviously bad data. I need to test/pull data from a working one. Does anyone have a known good one as a spare they can send me?

I want to clone the data from a good one and write it to the 3 bad ones I have. If it’s a data problem this will fix it and allow them to work provided the VIN is useless like in the ECU’s.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand all of this high tech stuff like SKREEM and all that. I know what it is but I don't understand it. Still waiting for the keys to come back. I have an acknowledgement of them receiving it but I haven't heard anything since.
I've been using the original key to drive the car. I noticed that, twice now, I had difficulty getting her started when I was out. It scared me because I thought that I was going to be locked out of the ignition and I'd have to tow the car. I've not driven her since. I'm afraid I'll get stuck out somewhere. I don't think anyone has really answered my initial question about being able to start the car without a functioning key fob. If the car is not supposed to be started without the presence of the fob, how is mine getting started? And is the trouble that I had a sign that the system is not recognizing the fob?

Old 01-31-2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey208
I don't understand all of this high tech stuff like SKREEM and all that. I know what it is but I don't understand it. Still waiting for the keys to come back. I have an acknowledgement of them receiving it but I haven't heard anything since.
I've been using the original key to drive the car. I noticed that, twice now, I had difficulty getting her started when I was out. It scared me because I thought that I was going to be locked out of the ignition and I'd have to tow the car. I've not driven her since. I'm afraid I'll get stuck out somewhere. I don't think anyone has really answered my initial question about being able to start the car without a functioning key fob. If the car is not supposed to be started without the presence of the fob, how is mine getting started? And is the trouble that I had a sign that the system is not recognizing the fob?

When you replaced the guts you only swapped the circuit board. The transponder is a tiny little stand-alone chip mounted under a bracket in the nose of the fob. It’s still in your original key. That’s why your car starts. The circuit board is only for unlocking/locking and has nothing to do with starting.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:08 AM

Ahhh, I was not aware of that. I disassembled the fob and there it is! I was going to ask why the new key and fob started the car but then I realized the original was in my pocket. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2021, 09:24 AM

So, I am assuming that SOS will be programming a transponder for the new key and fob?

Old 02-02-2021, 04:20 AM

So, I am assuming that SOS will be programming a transponder for the new key and fob?
Yes, our transponders are read only after the initial write, so they wouldn’t be able to do anything with it anyways.

Just in case, you might want to let them know you have it so that they don’t write the new transponder track over the one you have.

Mo’ keys = Mo’ better

Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 AM

Okay, I did. But I don't see what difference that makes. Won't they be making a new chip assigned to work on my car only? Nothing they do effects the key and transponder chip I have does it?

Old 02-02-2021, 09:52 AM

Why don't you call SOS and ask them?

Old 02-02-2021, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Why don't you call SOS and ask them?
Why didn't I think of that?

Old 02-02-2021, 01:14 PM

Guys. This has been a very strange experience. I just got off the phone with SOS. She told me that, as long as I sent them a working remote, the key they send me will work. It will start the car. (I sent them a new key and fob with the key already cut and the original electronics inside, minus the transponder.) But she also said that the key that I still have does not have the transponder chip. It DOES! She said that the key I have will not start the car. It DOES! She didn't seem to understand this. I hear some guy in the background and then she say's, "Okay! Then we're good to go!" She will call me later today with the price.
When I tried to tell her that I did not send them the transponder chip, and I was worried the key they send would not start the car, she just kept saying as long as I sent them a working remote the key they send will work. So, are they using some other kind of technology to get the new key to start the car? Are they making a new transponder chip? I don't understand and I couldn't get them to tell me! It seems to me there's a major communication problem here. Either that or I'm as dense as a rain forest.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:09 PM

The Crossfire guy at SOS doesn’t talk on the phone, he only does emails.

They are going to drop a new transponder in and program it once they realize it doesn’t have one. Since they think you don’t have a working transponder they will write the new transponder over one of the key tracks at random. You have a 1 in 8 chance they write over your current transponder. Every Crossfire was made with two keys from the factory. Key Track 1 and 2. You have a total of 8 key tracks available.

The dealer almost always held 1, if you have 2 you’re lucky.

If your current transponder, in your pocket, is 2 and they write to key track 2 either it won’t work or the one in your pocket won’t work (I don’t know what determines this but they won’t both work). If they write to key track 1 then you’ll have two transponders that work. They might write to 3, or 4... in which case it doesn’t matter.

I would email them, explain the situation and ask if you could get a valet key cut without the transponder. When it arrives with your new fob, put the transponder from your key right now, in your pocket, into the valet key. Voila, you have a working fob and a fob less key that will run your vehicle (good for letting it idle to warm/cool while you lock it with the fob and stay inside your toasty/cool house/work in the morning or whatever).

The following users liked this post:
KeithTexas (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09

They are going to drop a new transponder in and program it once they realize it doesn’t have one. Since they think you don’t have a working transponder they will write the new transponder over one of the key tracks at random. You have a 1 in 8 chance they write over your current transponder. Every Crossfire was made with two keys from the factory. Key Track 1 and 2. You have a total of 8 key tracks available.

If your current transponder, in your pocket, is 2 and they write to key track 2 either it won’t work or the one in your pocket won’t work (I don’t know what determines this but they won’t both work). If they write to key track 1 then you’ll have two transponders that work. They might write to 3, or 4... in which case it doesn’t matter.

I would email them, explain the situation and ask if you could get a valet key cut without the transponder. When it arrives with your new fob, put the transponder from your key right now, in your pocket, into the valet key. Voila, you have a working fob and a fob less key that will run your vehicle (good for letting it idle to warm/cool while you lock it with the fob and stay inside your toasty/cool house/work in the morning or whatever).
At the risk of sounding dense, , can you tell me exactly what I should say in an email? So far, everything that I have written seems to be confusing and I would like to be as perfectly clear as I possibly can.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:54 PM

This is what I just sent to SOS.

You have a working remote, as well as a key cut to my car. But the remote DOES NOT contain a transponder chip. You may open it, if you have not already done so, and you will see. Can you also provide me with a valet key cut to my car that does not contain a transponder chip?

Old 02-02-2021, 04:56 PM

This is what I just sent to SOS.

You have a working remote, as well as a key cut to my car. But the remote DOES NOT contain a transponder chip. You may open it, if you have not already done so, and you will see. Can you also provide me with a valet key cut to my car that does not contain a transponder chip?
Thats perfect, they’ll understand.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:59 PM

Thats perfect, they’ll understand.
Thank you!

Old 02-02-2021, 08:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great information. Thanks sk8erjosh09.
I know you're busy figuring out how to program the SKREEM, etc., but I've got three quick questions for you if you have time to reply:
When I bought my Crossfire a few years ago, I received two working keys and fobs. The Crossfire also had a Clifford or Viper (?) remote start. I received no instructions, schematics, or anything to help me with the remote start.
1. So, is it correct that my two original working keys are likely programmed onto key track 1 and key track 2? Is that correct? Both keys work to start the car. Both key fobs work to lock/unlock the doors. Both keys require two presses to lock/unlock both doors.
2. Did the after-market remote start people program the Viper fob onto a different key track? That fob will also unlock and lock the doors. It locks/unlocks on a single press. So, was it specially programmed for my SKREEM?
3. I'm guessing that there is no transponder inside the Viper fob. Correct?? It is used to just lock/unlock and perform the remote start setup which will start the key without a key in it. However, the instructions that I've found for the Viper remote start fob says you have to enter the running car (remote started) and insert your working key into the car's key slot to be able to drive the car away after performing a remote start. That must mean there is no transponder in the remote start fob. But, do you think the remote start people are smart enough to program a transponder, too? Or is that a completely higher level programming effort?

Old 02-03-2021, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by KeithTexas
Great information. Thanks sk8erjosh09.
I know you're busy figuring out how to program the SKREEM, etc., but I've got three quick questions for you if you have time to reply:
When I bought my Crossfire a few years ago, I received two working keys and fobs. The Crossfire also had a Clifford or Viper (?) remote start. I received no instructions, schematics, or anything to help me with the remote start.
1. So, is it correct that my two original working keys are likely programmed onto key track 1 and key track 2? Is that correct? Both keys work to start the car. Both key fobs work to lock/unlock the doors. Both keys require two presses to lock/unlock both doors.
2. Did the after-market remote start people program the Viper fob onto a different key track? That fob will also unlock and lock the doors. It locks/unlocks on a single press. So, was it specially programmed for my SKREEM?
3. I'm guessing that there is no transponder inside the Viper fob. Correct?? It is used to just lock/unlock and perform the remote start setup which will start the key without a key in it. However, the instructions that I've found for the Viper remote start fob says you have to enter the running car (remote started) and insert your working key into the car's key slot to be able to drive the car away after performing a remote start. That must mean there is no transponder in the remote start fob. But, do you think the remote start people are smart enough to program a transponder, too? Or is that a completely higher level programming effort?
1. Yes, more than likely.
2. That one is more difficult to answer but it's probably sync'd to track 3.
3. There more than likely isn't a transponder inside the Viper fob. I don't see why they would. The transponder only works inside the transponder ring that's attached to the ignition. If you aren't inserting the Viper fob then it doesn't have one.

I really don't know anything about the aftermarket alarm/button start systems. I have no clue how they would get it to even start without a transponder inside the ring.

Quick Reply: Let's discuss the key fob transponder chip(s)