Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Brake Lamps On/Electrical Problem

Old 09-07-2023, 05:19 PM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts
Default Re: Brake Lamps On/Electrical Problem

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Pizzaguy: So are you saying the above wiring diagram found under the Anti-Lock Brake Section is worthless?

Oh my, good thing I have the 2008 Service Manual! Or, is it (cue mini me in: The Spy Who Shagged Me)!

PS: I have an autoschtick (see my sig)... LOL

Old 09-07-2023, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Oh my, good thing I have the 2008 Service Manual! Or, is it (cue mini me in: The Spy Who Shagged Me)!

IF your brake switch wiring in the 08 book does not look like what James posted and I re-posted, then it's as wrong as the 05-07 books. I have no clue how they got it right in 2004 and then got it wrong later.
I do know the 2008 Roadster top section is the best one on the top, maybe the rest of that years' book is good too.

The following users liked this post:
GraphiteGhost (09-08-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 02:12 PM
Received 246 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

2008 Service Manual doesn't even show the brake light switch and the connection numbers that are show to the brake light relay are different. I paged thru to the rear lighting as well and no joy!

Old 09-09-2023, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by zip439
2008 Service Manual doesn't even show the brake light switch and the connection numbers that are show to the brake light relay are different. I paged thru to the rear lighting as well and no joy!

WOW... Zip439, the 2008 FSM (printed version) @ 8W-31-2 near top left, shows the brake lamp switch (auto) going to the 'shift lever assembly' (mid page). As far as the brake lamp relay, 8W-35-5, near top right, coming from the illumination control module to both the 'controller antilock brake' & then back to the illumination control module. QUITE a different way to go. So, Who wants to tear into these differences/discrepancies? Not I... Geeze cheeeze...

Old 09-09-2023, 03:27 PM
Received 246 Likes on 203 Posts

I saw that Ghost, but it is just a block diagram without the internals to the switch as in post #19 above and nothing in the 2008 shows wiring actually running to the lights as Pizza indicates in his #19 above. I couldn't find anything in the rear lighting section of the 2008 that showed the brake lights and some of the connection numbers are different. I may have missed something,; other than changing out the switch or the bulbs I hope I never have a need to get any farther into it.

Pizza, maybe start a sticky with known errors in the service manual.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by zip439
I saw that Ghost, but it is just a block diagram without the internals to the switch as in post #19 above and nothing in the 2008 shows wiring actually running to the lights as Pizza indicates in his #19 above. I couldn't find anything in the rear lighting section of the 2008 that showed the brake lights and some of the connection numbers are different. I may have missed something,; other than changing out the switch or the bulbs I hope I never have a need to get any farther into it.

Pizza, maybe start a sticky with known errors in the service manual.

Zip, sure does a tangled web of wiring based on that block diagram. To be sure, the connector numbers referenced may or may not also be an error. Although I haven't opened up the downloadable different service manuals (to check/verify the 08), that might be a good place to start, to see if they were changed at the 2005 or later model year manuals that are available. The page references in this post refer to the 04 manual (and I am not too sure of the manual or auto transmission being referenced).

Old 09-09-2023, 03:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2004 roadster and replaced my stop light switch without dropping dash. i hat a mirror and a flashlight and could spot the switch near top of brake pedal. if you can open the car door and get on the floor and reach up and feel the switch, turn it clockwise to remove and counter clockwise to replace. The plug will only go in to switch one way on side marked A. After installing wire plug into switch, reach up untill you feel the hole for the switch. insert it lightly and rotate the switch around opening until the tab on the switch goes into the slot on the mount, and then push and turn hard counter clockwise until it clicks. Not easy but worked for me.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (09-10-2023)