Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

AC Compressor Bad?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor Bad?

Lately my ac has been less that cold, then times it was more than cold. I know that this can be as simple as adding some Freon, but i have no cold air went out. My question is before purchase Freon is there a way to see if its just that? When i cut on the ac through the relay there is no grinding or mechanical noises. My rpms are not lowering like they used to when i turned on the ac, so i am thinking this might be meaning the compressor is bad, i want to know exactly where its located in the serpentine belt line to see if when the relay comes on if the clutch is engaging. Does anyone know how to test this? How can i see if its just the Freon?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: AC Compressor Bad?

The compressor is below the PS pump on the driver's side.
To connect gauges, you have to remove the grille to access the AC high side connector.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

With a set of R134a gauges and hoses.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:01 AM

so i looked up that set of tools and its quite confusing looking, any way to explain the use? i also saw the low point is off to the left of the engine, do i connect there?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:36 AM

You connect the low hose to the low port,( blue ), the high hose to the high port (red).
close both valves.
Use the below chart to see what you got.
If you need to add, use the yellow hose to the can and open the low side valve to allow additional R134 to enter.

​​​​​​​R-134a System Pressure Chart - AC Pro<?php/* bloginfo('name'); */?>

Old 07-31-2018, 11:58 AM

Ok and why not just buy a can from like auto zone? Also if its reporting a psi does that mean the compressor is working?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:20 PM

If all you need is a refill, a
Amazon Amazon
is all you need (plus a couple of cans of Freon - $4.88 at Walmart here). Be careful not to overfill. Hose should only go on one connector.

Pressure should be around 70-100 psi (temperature dependent) with engine and AC off.

Last edited by Padgett; 07-31-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 246 Likes on 203 Posts

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOD SET OF GAUGES DO NOT MESS WITH THE A/C. It is way too easy to over fill the system which can and probably will ruin the pump and then you are really in a hole! For $100 let a qualified shop check the system. evacuate and refill. It is not that much more than you messing around and buying all that you need from a store.
I know this from personal experience. The gauges that come on some of those store bought A/C charging kits are not accurate and will get into trouble.

Last edited by zip439; 07-31-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:48 PM

Well i am stating i do not know if i need a refil or if i need to replace the whole pump i am trying to determine that, but to be honest if i can go to Walmart and buy a can for a couple bucks to test it i just might do that instead.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:31 PM

Post #2 told you were the A/C pump is located. You can tell if the pump is spinning or not by looking at the pulley in the off and then on position while the engine is running. BE very careful you do not get anything dropped or tangled in the belt. You also need to read those other post again, because they all recommend using a set of accurate gauges. If you do not know how to read those gauges then simply buying a can of refrigerant and putting it into your system can lead to bigger problems; Penny wise pound foolish, but good luck and hope it works out good for you.

to answer your question above; The system always has pressure (if it has not all leaked out, and yours has not completely leaked out from what you say) with the pump running or not.

Last edited by zip439; 07-31-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:04 PM

Ok so I found a gauge and a cheap Freon can from Walmart. I applied a little bit of Freon in the low pressure side, and it took however no change in the cooling of the air. I might add that when applying the gauge with the car running and ac on, it had pressure in the lines not a lot but enough to where it seemed like it could blow out cold air. I applied 1 -2 seconds of Freon to see if it would take and it did. It also pushed it to the recommended Freon levels. However still comes out warm. I did see that the serpentine belt is rotating the compressor and again no noises are coming from it. So i have attached a list of my questions. I am trying to save as much money as possible, since its likely this is an expensive fix.

Questions:
Is the compressor bad?
Am i missing something that can be a possible easy fix?
Any recommendations on a way to fix this? (like forum or site)
How do you feel about refurbished compressors? or used? (I found one online through ebay used for 86 bucks, and that's pretty cheap just wanted your opinion on it)

Also side note:
I just moved another reason why cash funds are low, but i have a speed bump at my place when i leave and enter. When i first arrived i never had any issues but now i hear a squeaking sound on my right side only when i go over it, any idea what that is?

Side side note:
When my ac was working my **** to change the fan speed from low to high always was off, not a big issue but it i put it on 2 it would blow like it was on 5, is this a simple fix? Also i can push this **** in and it will fix it until i switch levels and go back to 2.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:19 PM

OK sounds like you need to consult with someone who knows what they are doing. However you might also try rotating the temp selectors to full hot and see if it changes. If so go back to full cold. It is possible that the diverter valve is not working.
Also is the light in the button marked AC on ?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:31 PM

I actually tried that out the other day, it does go from hot to cold (although its not cold cause the ac wont work). Yes the light is on as well which is why i was confused the most.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:32 PM

So yes the diverter valve is working, when you say i should go to someone, would this be for the ac of the other problems?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
OK sounds like you need to consult with someone who knows what they are doing.
DITTO!

First off, you do not put "Freon" into the Crossfire!!!!! You must use R134a
Are you sure the compressor is starting and stopping when you push the A/C switch ? The outer pulley on the Compressor will always be turning with the belt. The inner part of that pulley will not be turning when the A/C switch is off, but it will be turning (it is connected to the A/C compressor shaft) when the A/C is turned on. It does sound like you have other problems in your A/C system that will cause you not to be getting cool air other than the correct amount of R134a in the system, There is plenty to ponder if you read the Heating and Air Conditioning section in the following link:https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Again good luck, but before you proceed to other solutions you must be certain the A/C system is properly charged with the correct refrigerant. You can also use the search box in the upper right area of the forum to find additional threads on the subject. The cars are getting older and it would not be a bad idea to simply have a qualified shop evacuate your A/C system and recharge with all new refrigerant. They should also put dye in the new refrigerant so they can locate any leaks in the future. That will insure you also have the correct lubrication in the system. Tele around and get an estimate first. It will be under $150

Last edited by zip439; 08-01-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling and added the dye injection
Old 08-01-2018, 10:09 AM

Could be that one or both of the heater valves are stuck open.
These are the 2 round things just in front of the battery, 12v applied makes them CLOSE.
The voltage is pulsed to them depending on the control wheel setting.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:53 PM

I put in r134a in the car. Apologies i just always called it Freon. It did take and now i think this is getting complicated haha, so i will take a look at that diagram that was posted. I can mention that it blows hot hot air when the dial is switched from cold to hot, and then back to just normal warm outside air.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:05 PM

is it possible it could be just a fuse even if the red light shows up?

Old 08-01-2018, 06:53 PM

So i have attached two videos, i am thinking you guys are going to tell me the ac compressor clutch isn't engaging.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 AM

Best I can tell; The electric clutch is not engaged in either of those videos. It is easy to see on the Crossfire with the hood open from the top, so double check as your video is hard to see. The outer pulley has the grooves and the belt will always keep that part spinning when the engine is running. With the A/C off the inner part (electronic magnet) will not spin. It can be seen as it extends out towards the front of the vehicle. On the Crossfire it has three rivets (they are silver on my car) that are easily seen visually. The extended part with the rivets is attached to the compressor shaft and should only spin when the A/C switch is turned on and it should not spin when the A/C switch is off.

Yes, when you have the hood up check fuses #15,33,36 and 37. Best if you have a volt/ohm meter, but visually at the least.

Last edited by zip439; 08-02-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Add fuse comment. rivets vice screws

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Bad?