Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

MAF Sensor - Intermittent (mass airflow sensor)

Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MAF Sensor - Intermittent (mass airflow sensor)

Over a year ago, my engine would rev to 2k-3k while idling, and would rev in between shifts (manual). Sometimes it would idle roughly, I'd give it some gas and it would hesitate and then rev to 2k+ then stay there. After a day of that, it cleared up.

About six months ago, it did it again. That time I suspected the MAF so I disconnected the cable, cleaned the contacts (not the MAF sensor itself) and the problem cleared up. I never knew if that really fixed it or if it was coincidental.

The problem started again today and was probably worse than before. It died a couple of times at red lights and it would buck during shifts. This time the check engine light came on so I took it to a parts store to read the codes which was Intermittent MAF Sensor (or something to that effect).

I'm wondering if: A. the electrical contacts need to be cleaned again, B. I need to remove and clean the MAF Sensor with MAF spray cleaner, or C. I need a new MAF sensor.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: MAF Sensor - Intermittent (mass airflow sensor)

A & B, if that fails, C

Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X-fired
Over a year ago, my engine would rev to 2k-3k while idling, and would rev in between shifts (manual). Sometimes it would idle roughly, I'd give it some gas and it would hesitate and then rev to 2k+ then stay there. After a day of that, it cleared up.

About six months ago, it did it again. That time I suspected the MAF so I disconnected the cable, cleaned the contacts (not the MAF sensor itself) and the problem cleared up. I never knew if that really fixed it or if it was coincidental.

The problem started again today and was probably worse than before. It died a couple of times at red lights and it would buck during shifts. This time the check engine light came on so I took it to a parts store to read the codes which was Intermittent MAF Sensor (or something to that effect).

I'm wondering if: A. the electrical contacts need to be cleaned again, B. I need to remove and clean the MAF Sensor with MAF spray cleaner, or C. I need a new MAF sensor.
I'm having this issue now. What did you do? I've cleaned both the connector and the maf sensor itself.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by IamNIkoSuave
I'm having this issue now. What did you do? I've cleaned both the connector and the maf sensor itself.
I haven't done a thing and the problem hasn't arisen again. I was going to wait until it happened and then clean the contacts at that time and see if that clears it up. Since it's so intermittent, it's not easy to diagnose.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by X-fired
I haven't done a thing and the problem hasn't arisen again. I was going to wait until it happened and then clean the contacts at that time and see if that clears it up. Since it's so intermittent, it's not easy to diagnose.
Think I have a vacuum leak but I cant find it, I can hear it without the cover on

Old 07-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by IamNIkoSuave
Think I have a vacuum leak but I cant find it, I can hear it without the cover on
I suspected that as well but eventually my Check Engine light came on and the code was MAF sensor...

Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 PM

I explained my symptoms on the fb group and I'm leaning towards bad egr valve now. I couldn't find any leaks