Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Resistor for IAT

Old 03-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistor for IAT

Hey did you guys hear about the resistor that fits into your IAT. It claims to have gains up to 20hp. I saw it on ebay. Check it out. And did anyone try it out yet? If so email at immi7@hotmail.com

Old 03-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Epyon
Default Re: Resistor for IAT

LOL

bullshit 20HP.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:27 AM
Forum Regular

A fool and his money are soon parted on eBay.

Old 03-19-2005, 03:23 AM

did u guys try it out?

Old 03-30-2005, 11:04 PM

u dont have a iat sensor

Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Oh yes it does, it is part of the air flow sensor. All fuel injected cars have an IAT sensor no matter where it is or what part of the air intake devices it is part of.

Know your stuff before missleading others.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Yanksmell
Oh yes it does, it is part of the air flow sensor. All fuel injected cars have an IAT sensor no matter where it is or what part of the air intake devices it is part of.

Know your stuff before missleading others.
Good job bringing up an OLD DEAD post on your first visit!

How did you find it (this posting)?

Welcome to the forum!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

so how does this resistor make 20 HP? you don't want to mislead anyone, so tell us how it works...I don't know much about cars...so enlighten me....please......and that was long before my time here, over 6 yrs ago...wonder who would win that argument today? LOL>>......hell, I wonder even if there are still trying to con people with that crap? I have an electric turbo charger on the shelf for sale...all it does is blow hot air...or maybe that is a fan...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 04-28-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Simple! I was an engineer for Ford for years, I know this stuff.

The IAT sensor is measuring the temperature of the incoming air. The air temperature is indicative of the density of the air. Cold air vers hot air effects the combustion as octane (slower flame propagation) the same effect as water injection or alcohol (1/2 the BTU’s of energy as gas).

Placing a resistor in the IAT circuit reduces the IAT constant in the fuel/air algorithm (14.1 to 1) allowing the ECM to advance the spark allowing for higher performance and better fuel mileage until the ECM detects knock from the knock sensor. At this point, the ECM is advancing the spark as far as possible until the knock sensor input signals knock and the ECM than backs off the spark advance. The engine is now under the control of the knock sensor.

This concept forces the ECM to evaluate coolant temperature and knock more prominently than air temperature. This is engine design 101. Remember advancing the spark of a SB Chevy until the engine knocked… same thing here only that the ECM keeps pre-detonation under control at all times.

No ill comes of this due to the fact the ECM is always there to retard the spark if a knock occurs. If you use high-octane fuel, the ECM will give even more advance, longer push, more power, better fuel utilization.

The effect of injecting water into a carbureted engine produced more HP because the water would capture the heat and expand (like a steam engine (10 to 1) and the water would cool the combustion chamber causing a slower flame propagation resulting in a longer push on the piston. However, water injection simply pisses with fuel injection so say good-by to cheap octane boost ideas. This is what alcohol does with ½ the BTU’s of energy; less energy but longer push.

Keep in mind, no knock is the secret of the HEMI head and all its power. Point of fact; the HEMI engine was designed after an air compressor at the Chrysler Engine Plant in Detroit.

Prior to making statement like the one you have, study up before name-calling. As far as HP increase; you bet but only what the engine can produce at max advance. 20HP---30HP---40HP… only a dyno knows but there is an increase in fuel mileage and power.

Why not done at the factory; a catalytic converter can overheat if pulling a heavy load with a mod like this but… seen a trailer hitch on a ZH lately.

Straight POOP boys and girls. I knew this crap when I was 14.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I have seen many guys use this on other type cars. It simply tricks the ECU to think the IAT is very cold and richens the mixture. I'm sure it works to some extent, but not 20hp.

James

Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple! I was an engineer for Ford for years, I know this stuff.

The IAT sensor is measuring the temperature of the incoming air. The air temperature is indicative of the density of the air. Cold air vers hot air effects the combustion as octane (slower flame propagation) the same effect as water injection or alcohol (1/2 the BTU’s of energy as gas).

Placing a resistor in the IAT circuit reduces the IAT constant in the fuel/air algorithm (14.1 to 1) allowing the ECM to advance the spark allowing for higher performance and better fuel mileage until the ECM detects knock from the knock sensor. At this point, the ECM is advancing the spark as far as possible until the knock sensor input signals knock and the ECM than backs off the spark advance. The engine is now under the control of the knock sensor.

This concept forces the ECM to evaluate coolant temperature and knock more prominently than air temperature. This is engine design 101. Remember advancing the spark of a SB Chevy until the engine knocked… same thing here only that the ECM keeps pre-detonation under control at all times.

No ill comes of this due to the fact the ECM is always there to retard the spark if a knock occurs. If you use high-octane fuel, the ECM will give even more advance, longer push, more power, better fuel utilization.

The effect of injecting water into a carbureted engine produced more HP because the water would capture the heat and expand (like a steam engine (10 to 1) and the water would cool the combustion chamber causing a slower flame propagation resulting in a longer push on the piston. However, water injection simply pisses with fuel injection so say good-by to cheap octane boost ideas. This is what alcohol does with ½ the BTU’s of energy; less energy but longer push.

Keep in mind, no knock is the secret of the HEMI head and all its power. Point of fact; the HEMI engine was designed after an air compressor at the Chrysler Engine Plant in Detroit.

Prior to making statement like the one you have, study up before name-calling. As far as HP increase; you bet but only what the engine can produce at max advance. 20HP---30HP---40HP… only a dyno knows but there is an increase in fuel mileage and power.

Why not done at the factory; a catalytic converter can overheat if pulling a heavy load with a mod like this but… seen a trailer hitch on a ZH lately.

Straight POOP boys and girls. I knew this crap when I was 14.
I would have just said it doesn't work.. lol. I wouldn't trust anything that tricks sensors into reading different values.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 PM

No sensor my engineer friend is going to get you 20 hp ...none known to man....but a meth kit will...if set up corrected...it will fool the IAT, and add octane........and for the record, we didn't just get off the bus on here....there many lurking here finding legitimate ways to make HP..need to read a little before you start slamming people, because if you had, you would have realized you are commenting on a 6 year old thread...look at the dates on the thread...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 04-28-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Your rudeness defines you.

I suspect you and the ouput of that electric turbo of yours have a lot in common chief-mo.

Funny thing is, there are electric turbos only you didn't know that.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Your rudeness defines you.

I suspect you and the ouput of that electric turbo of yours have a lot in common chief-mo.

Funny thing is, there are electric turbos only you didn't know that.
why don't you take your trolling *** to another site....you 3 post and you want to push my button....I will shove an electric probe us you *** sonny...now get the hell out of here.....

Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM

You let your stupidy push your buttons. I designed fuel injection systems for Ford, do you think you know more about fuel injection than the engineer that designed them.

You are a chump or chimp (my spelling sucks).

I simply love the reaction of a fool trying to look smart. As far as the 6 year old thread, if you knew your stuff the thread would have been answered correctly in the begining however not by you.

These folks want straight answers not the blow off of an empty head so shut up and get to the back of the bus with your bad advice and caustic mouth.

Would you like to know how many patents I have or would you prefer to have me send you pictures of all the automated assembly machines i designed and built for Ford and Chrysler.

I have a great idea, why don't you post all your automotive patents and equipment you have designed. I hopw you own a Ford pickup; every time you press on the brakes you are pressing on a booster designed on a "force lab stand" designed and built by me so simply shut up fool.

Love and Kisses

Old 04-28-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
I have seen many guys use this on other type cars. It simply tricks the ECU to think the IAT is very cold and richens the mixture. I'm sure it works to some extent, but not 20hp.

James
Gasoline has 114,100 BTU of energy while alchol has 76,000. That is all the energy there is so if the engine is designed close to max output of the fuel, there is only so much power it can produce period. Octane will slow the burn giving a longer push but a will designed engine has optimized this fact.

You are correct, 20 HP is somone selling somthing. If the engine is poorly designed, somthing like this pushing the ECM to control with the knock sensor will kick some HP. The ZH engine is pertty well designed, this device would not increase power as much as it would increase fuel milage. Remember the max output ratio of fuel is 14.1 to 1. If you want more power you need a bigger hole. Tuning to near knock is as good as it gets without doing somthing with the combustion chamber dynamics. Keep in mind, knock is nothing more than pressure bouncing around in a combustion chamber. That is what the HEMI engine design is all about... No Knock Capacity just straight line push on a piston.

Keep in mind, if the knock sensor should fail, you are in deep crap, the engine will eat itself so have a defete device in your glove box.

Hope this helps you understand what fooling the IAT sensor will do for you.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
I would have just said it doesn't work.. lol. I wouldn't trust anything that tricks sensors into reading different values.
You are not tricking anything, you are taking the air tmeperture out of the equation and forcing the ECM to control timing via the knock sensor.

GM in the early days had no IAT sensor only a knock sensor. Worked great on throttle body but port injection likes air density in the calculation however not totally necessary if you know the trade offs. For the most part, the IAT sensor is fine trim of the fuel map.

An engine is 1800's tech, there is no mistery in pressure in a closed top hole.

Hope this is of use to you.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this helps you understand what fooling the IAT sensor will do for you.
You are not tricking anything, you are taking the air tmeperture out of the equation and forcing the ECM to control timing via the knock sensor.
I am also a Ford engineer, and I own a horse. From what I understand, the engine is run with magic. The magic flows through the IAT, into the ECM, and exits the engine in the form of carbon monoxide. The resistor will limit the flow of magic through the IAT, thus producing less CO stoichiometrically, and thus making 20+ LESS HP.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

I have noticed that a few members on this forum lack any form of sensor. Not even common sensor.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have noticed that a few members on this forum lack any form of sensor. Not even common sensor.

Thats right! No Common Sensor here!!!

I know there are people on here who can back me up on that

Quick Reply: Resistor for IAT