Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

2004 Crossfire NOT running

Old 07-22-2016, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Crossfire NOT running

Hi. I live in Lehigh Acres, Florida.
I bought a 2004 Crossfire on IAAI auction. The site said it starts. When car arrived, we had to push it in my garage. I toke it to the shop, because it started twice and die. I had to disconnect the battery to start again twice and die. The shop said it was the SKREEM. I order 1 from the local Dealer and replaced it. The same happened. I called the tech and he came.
Programmed it and still saying that it has NO signal from the SKREEM. Now it gives me a HEX CODE: 2071-08 (start enable from SKREEM not sent). Can I get some help here, Please???
Thank you, Joebarros33.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 2004 Crossfire NOT running

Do you have the key that goes with that module? The key must be programmed to the security system I think.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have the key and it was programmed. It is a new key.
The computer says that it is NOT getting signal from the SKREEM.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Received 969 Likes on 756 Posts

Ok, here is how it works:

You put the key in and turn it, the SKREEM sends an RF signal to the little chip in the key fob, the chip sends back a signal to the SKREEM, if the code the chip in the fob sends back is the right code, then the SKREEM sends a start enable to the PTCM. If it does NOT see the right code, the SKREEM lets the starter engage three times, then nothing - this is the universal code for a SKREEM issue. If you disconnect the battery and reconnect it, you get three more tries. NOW if you keep doing this, after several cycles, the SKREEM is said to collapse and lock up - it will NEVER work. So, don't keep trying until you get this fixed. (The shop may have already screwed up here, if they did now know this.)

Anyway,
Each time you start the car, the SKREEM wants to see the secret code coming from the fob that was programmed into the SKREEM. Mercedes and Chrysler kept a record of what code goes with what VIN. When you order the new SKREEM, they encode it with the original code.

What you are describing is caused by:

1) The chip in the key is bad (this almost never happens)
2) The chip in the key is sending a different code (maybe the seller tried moving key blades from fob to fob - in this case , you need a new key coded the same as the new SKREEM - altho as I read your posts, I see that you have a new key, so this should not be an issue).
3) The black ring around the key is a loop antenna that handles the signal to and from the SKREEM and fob. If this ring is not plugged into the SKREEM, you get exactly what you are describing (this happens from time to time when people tear the dash apart.
4) The SKREEM is bad.
5) The SKREEM was accidentally ordered with the wrong code programmed into it, or the KEY was ordered incorrectly. (I don't see this happening, unless someone ordered a key from some flaky source or they ordered the SKREEM from some flaky source - in which case this is NEVER going to work.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-22-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joebarros33
The shop said it was the SKREEM. I order 1 from the local Dealer and replaced it. The same happened. I called the tech and he came.
Programmed it and still saying that it has NO signal from the SKREEM.
Programmed what? There IS NO PROGRAMMING that he can do. (Well, not quite, keep reading, but this is not the issue.)

The key fob's code is factory set and cannot be altered. SAME goes for the SKREEM.
If you are describing what happened accurately, this 'shop' does not understand what they are doing.
What the HELL does he THINK he is programming?

ONE last note - if you get a new key fob, the door lock/unlock is not programmed at the factory (oddly enough). THAT you can program, but it has NOTHING to do with starting the car.

Let me explain:
The battery operated transmitter in the key that the LOCK, UNLOCK and PANIC buttons operate is a separate function. You insert the key in the ignition and follow a simple procedure to program the security system to accept the lock/unlock/panic functions. But again, this has NOTHING to do with starting the car.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Programmed what? There IS NO PROGRAMMING that he can do. (Well, not quite, keep reading, but this is not the issue.)

The key fob's code is factory set and cannot be altered. SAME goes for the SKREEM.
If you are describing what happened accurately, this 'shop' does not understand what they are doing.
What the HELL does he THINK he is programming?

ONE last note - if you get a new key fob, the door lock/unlock is not programmed at the factory (oddly enough). THAT you can program, but it has NOTHING to do with starting the car.

Let me explain:
The battery operated transmitter in the key that the LOCK, UNLOCK and PANIC buttons operate is a separate function. You insert the key in the ignition and follow a simple procedure to program the security system to accept the lock/unlock/panic functions. But again, this has NOTHING to do with starting the car.
If the key was programmed OK then I would say the halo is connected to the SKREEM.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If the key was programmed OK then I would say the halo is connected to the SKREEM.
Um. Well.

I'm not so sure, Dave. The RFID chip uses the ring to communicate ,but I am 90% sure the signal from the lock/unlock/panic transmitter is received NOT by the halo, but by an antenna built into the SKREEM itself.

I looked in the Crossfire Student reference as well as the service manual, so far, I can't support my positoin, but I am SURE I read somewhere about the antenna for the lock/unlock function and that it was integrated into the SKREEM.

I just can't say for sure.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:45 PM
Administrator

I KNEW IT - there are two antennas. Remember, the 'halo' antenna is for RFID operation, it has to couple tightly to the chip in the key so as to not only 'talk' to it, but to power it up as well.

The transmitter in the fob for lock/unlock has it's own power source, so no tight coupling is needed. Also, MUCH greater range is required for the lock-unlock function, so an actual radiating antenna is used. (And after 34 years in the industry, the one thing I know, is radio.)

Old 07-22-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I KNEW IT - there are two antennas. Remember, the 'halo' antenna is for RFID operation, it has to couple tightly to the chip in the key so as to not only 'talk' to it, but to power it up as well.

The transmitter in the fob for lock/unlock has it's own power source, so no tight coupling is needed. Also, MUCH greater range is required for the lock-unlock function, so an actual radiating antenna is used. (And after 34 years in the industry, the one thing I know, is radio.)
I think you miss my point. I think that with the key in the lock the system makes sure that the correct chip is in the fob before setting the lock/unlock codes.
It checks that the fob chip and key are the correct ones otherwise you could have a key that fits and it will lock/unlock but will not start the car.
Save

Old 07-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.