Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Need Information on Speed Activated Spoiler

Old 05-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Information on Speed Activated Spoiler

I have a Xfire spoiler installed in my Miata currently activated using the over ride switch. I would like to try and have it activated based on speed as it is in the Xfire and looking for any information/advise on getting this done. The Miata has an electronic speedo, ABS speed sensors and an aftermarket ECU which may also be a source for speed sensor info. Here is a link to a short video

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...xacWF4bms5elJn

Old 05-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Need Information on Speed Activated Spoiler

We currently have a guy adding the retractable spoiler to his SRT6.. Apparently no one has dissected the electronics enough to "know" what exactly triggers the operation. There are also a couple more running around with just a switch to deploy.. You can download the service manual (from here) with schematics - trouble shooting and see what you can figure out..

Old 05-18-2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
We currently have a guy adding the retractable spoiler to his SRT6.. Apparently no one has dissected the electronics enough to "know" what exactly triggers the operation. There are also a couple more running around with just a switch to deploy.. You can download the service manual (from here) with schematics - trouble shooting and see what you can figure out..
Thanks for the response, would you know how to reach the "guy", would like to touch base with him. I found the XF spoiler switch and will be going that route initially. Didn't expect to find Mrmiata on an XF forum.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sprite63
Thanks for the response, would you know how to reach the "guy", would like to touch base with him. I found the XF spoiler switch and will be going that route initially. Didn't expect to find Mrmiata on an XF forum.
LOL.. Nov. 1990 took a 91 Miata off the show room floor..That was back when Bulletin Board System was the in thing - Pre internet.. well I started one up and needed a Handle.. and was dubbed Mrmiata..

Probably been a few yahoo mail people disappointed over the years.. Wonder what that would bring on Ebay...

Anyways.. click the following link for the latest in SRT6 to N/A spoiler..

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t-s-coupe.html

Old 05-18-2016, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the link, hopefully we can work this out.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can offer no assistance here, but I have to chime in. As a former Miata owner (Emerald Mica NB) I was wondering how in the world you managed to put a Crossfire retractable spoiler on a Miata - I was picturing some horrific assemblage of the spoiler mounted above the trunk but still able to move somehow, some way. Boy was I surprised to see what appears to be an incredibly neat and tidy install that must have taken a ton of very skilled fabrication work to do. Kudos to you for doing this!!! Any pictures or video showing the back of the car with the spoiler in place (or moving)?

Old 05-19-2016, 09:40 PM

Can't take credit for the work, bought the trunk from someone that bought the car from the fellow that did the work. He was planning to autoX the car and didn't like the look and added weight (21+lbs heavier than the oem lid.) Whoever did , did do an excellent job, looks oem its that good. Inside is a little rough but very acceptable. No vids of the spoiler up from the rear but here are a couple more pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
inside spoiler.jpg (2.35 MB, 51 views)
inside spoilerb.jpg (2.04 MB, 48 views)
spoilere.jpg (83.1 KB, 47 views)
spoilerf.jpg (55.2 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by sprite63; 05-19-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post those pix...... pretty cool, actually, to see such a sizeable piece from one car adapted to a totally unrelated car.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Forum Regular

sprite63, what do you mean by override switch? Is it hooked up to 12 volts or to less?

Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 PM

The spoiler is activated by a power window switch the original owner installed, see the first pic attached. I'm planning to try a later power window switch that has the "limiting" circuitry within the switch so power is cut when the spoiler reaches full up or full down. I call it an override switch since I've seen the manual switch in the X fire called that. Pic 2 and 3 show the Xfire switch.

Attached Images
spoiler switch.jpg (61.2 KB, 19 views)
switch.jpg (56.5 KB, 16 views)
spoiler switch panel.jpg (152.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-01-2016, 11:48 PM
Administrator
Received 969 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by sprite63
I'm planning to try a later power window switch that has the "limiting" circuitry within the switch so power is cut when the spoiler reaches full up or full down.
That is not how it works. Keep reading...

In the Crossfire, the Body Control Module operates the spoiler motor. How the BCM knows the speed of the car is a bit beyond my knowledge, but I assume that the wheel speed sensors' data is sent over the CAN bus to the BCM and the BCM then commands the motor in the spoiler.

What I DO know is that the BCM watches for the limit switch ground signals (from the "all the way up" and "all the way down" switches in the spoiler assembly) to know when to stop sending current to the motor. (That is, the BCM determines the car's speed is high enough to raise it or low enough to retract it - it sends current to the motor and stops sending current when the limit switch takes the lead to ground.)

All you need is a 'brain' to take on the role of the BCM for this purpose - and the BASIC Stamp seems like a good choice. The only issue is getting the speed information to the Stamp. On the Crossfire, one way would be to couple to one of the wheel speed sensors and use this signal (thru an op amp set for very high impedance so you don't confuse the PTCM). I'd think the Miata has wheel speed sensors you can "tap" in this way as well.

Writing the routines for BASIC Stamps is an art itself, but I do know there are internet-based groups of electronics enthusiasts who would be willing to help for some reasonable compensation.

Here is the BASIC Stamp website:
https://www.parallax.com/catalog/mic...rs/basic-stamp

The section of the service manual showing you how the BCM, Spoiler motor and limit switches are wired:

Last edited by pizzaguy; 06-01-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Thanks for taking the time to post those pix...... pretty cool, actually, to see such a sizeable piece from one car adapted to a totally unrelated car.
And done VERY well.
Impressive.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info Pizzaguy. While a speed activated solution is what I would like, the use of the "auto" power window switch is what I hope will be a better current solution since it has an integral limit switch (at least thats what I get from looking at the attached diagram.) As far as I can tell there is no limit switch in my current installation, two wires from the motor to the window switch. As for Bibaresto, is it possible the BCM is the same in the SRT as in other Xfires and the spoiler circuitry is just not used? Is there a blank/dummy switch where the manual switch is in the console? Given the low production numbers would the expense of producing a different BCM be justified? Same comment would apply to the wiring harness. I know for the Miata at least the wiring harnesses have all the connectors in place to accommodate the various options that were available from the factory.

Attached Images
SCAN0028.JPG (541.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Forum Regular

sprite63, are you using the XF switch? I assume not since it apparently is just to send a signal. I don't recall seeing the diagram pizzaguy included but have printed out the various switch diagrams.

Regarding the spoiler info being in the BCM - admittedly this is apples and oranges - but comparing the fuse block numbers/designations from both the Ltd. (spoiler) model with those in the SRT-6 owner's manual, most of the fuses for the spoiler have different numbers for, say #20 fuse is for the spoiler in the Ltd. manual and for the wiper motor in the SRT-6. That said, there are several 'not used' numbers on both manuals.

Yes, there is a blank/dummy spoiler switch on the SRT-6. I also have an acutual spoiler switch which I hope to use...some day.

I've been concerned with the 5 volt note for the dash switch to the BCM. I just spent three and a half hours (should have taken a half hour) to check the voltage of the Ltd's spoiler motor in action. I got 14.03 volts so using 12 volts shouldn't hurt the motor. I'd be inclined to think that the spoiler needs a good battery to work best.

If you noticed, there are limit switches on the unit - actually each side of the plastic gear. That's what the other three pin socket you have is for. I'm sorta guessing they might be 5 volt.

pizzaguy, other than limit switch what is their actual type of electronic hardware known as? Such as diode, or...?

I can't figure out how to get contacts in the tiny wired limit switches to be able to get a reading. There is a common black wire for both sides (a redundant statement).

Unless it is well hidden in the 5" high stack of the service manuals, I've not run across anything regarding how the spoiler magically raises at 62 mph and lowers at (I forget) 38 mph-ish.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BibaResto
1) I've been concerned with the 5 volt note for the dash switch to the BCM. I just spent three and a half hours (should have taken a half hour) to check the voltage of the Ltd's spoiler motor in action. I got 14.03 volts so using 12 volts shouldn't hurt the motor. I'd be inclined to think that the spoiler needs a good battery to work best.

2) If you noticed, there are limit switches on the unit - actually each side of the plastic gear. That's what the other three pin socket you have is for. I'm sorta guessing they might be 5 volt.

3) pizzaguy, other than limit switch what is their actual type of electronic hardware known as? Such as diode, or...?

I can't figure out how to get contacts in the tiny wired limit switches to be able to get a reading. There is a common black wire for both sides (a redundant statement).

4) Unless it is well hidden in the 5" high stack of the service manuals, I've not run across anything regarding how the spoiler magically raises at 62 mph and lowers at (I forget) 38 mph-ish.
1) 14 volts IS 12 volts. That is, the so called 12 volt bus rises to around 14 when the alternator is doing it's job.
2) I've never measured what is on them, but no matter, the point is that they close, pulling the sense lines to ground.
3) Those are just simple SPST switches.
4) Again, those decisions are made in the BCM based on information from the PTCM about vehicle speed.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Forum Regular

Could it be this easy? On the schematic pizzaman included, there is a "grounded distribution" something thing.

Attached Images
SRTXFSwitchSchematic.jpg (57.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Administrator

NO! Those swithes are NOT designed for the full current of the motor, they only switch the TINY current that the BCM supplies so that it can sense the change of state of the switch.

Now, if you replace them with heavy switches, fine.

ALSO, the switches in the Crossfire are NORMALLY OPEN. That is, they only close when you reach the limit of travel.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Forum Regular

Most likely I'll be using a 20 amp rocker switch as used on older, or aftermarket power window installations.

The XF spoiler switch has only two small wires coming from it.

The main thing, will this schematic work?

I was concerned about the Ground Distribution comment. But it turns out to be a simple raised piece of plastic on the outer edge of the gear which pushes the metal piece in on each of the switches to ground it - thus stopping the motor.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Administrator

It will, but the limit switches that are part of the original Crossfire wing will NOT support the current of the motor, if you can find high current switches, then fine.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:48 PM

On the installation in my Miata the limit switch is not hooked up. The window switch I'll be using as shown in the diagram I posted includes limit switches and is a full 12 v switch. If my assumptions are correct this switch should detect the higher current draw when the spoiler is fully up or down and shut power off, functioning the way the XF limit switch works when it receives the 5V signal from the BCM. Am I correct that operation of the window switch will be reversed, ie. pressing down on the switch will raise the spoiler and vise versa?

Quick Reply: Need Information on Speed Activated Spoiler