Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Starting issues...RCM related?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues...RCM related?

The problem started this way, and it may just be coincidence but......
One day I started the car, went to back up, and stalled it due to forgetting to release the e brake. I tried to restart it and got nothing....no click or anything. My first thought was dead battery, and as it turned out, it was in sad shape so I replaced it. However the problem persisted.

When I try to start the car it will start, sputter and die unless I can coax it to above 2k rpm or above. I can usually get 2 or 3 tries with the key actually engaging the starter before I get nothing from turning the key.

Disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds or so will give me another shot at it (I assume I am resetting something, maybe a security circuit?) and it usually will stay running. I still need to race the engine to 2k or so, but once I do it idles and runs fine.

I have checked the RCM and it looked fine, but I did heat up the contact points and add a bit of new solder to the ones I have read are the most common problem. The only thing I can assume is the RCM is going bad, but not failed completely yet.

I have read several similar issues that would indicate the RCM, but what I'm experiencing seems to not quite match.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Default Re: Starting issues....RCM related?

This is a 2006 Limited with about 136k on it

Old 03-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by eragonmp3
This is a 2006 Limited with about 136k on it
The first thing to do is read any codes that may have been stored, otherwise it will be just guesswork. Get a reader and look for a code or codes.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 PM

it is not tripping any codes

Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Check the fuel pressure. Your fuel filter may be clogged or fuel pump on it's last legs. If your fuel pressure is good, I'd guess it's the RCM.

Les

Old 03-08-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Check the fuel pressure. Your fuel filter may be clogged or fuel pump on it's last legs. If your fuel pressure is good, I'd guess it's the RCM.

Les
I think Valk had similar problems and he changed the filter. I should check back on that but maybe he will chime in.
I think the pressure regulator quits working. Maybe it's the check valve, that's on the pump I think.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it is not tripping any codes
Just curious, what color is your Crossfire? Saphira Blue?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 AM

I ordered a fuel filter today, so we will see if that helps. Even if it doesn't, with 135k on the odo and no idea if it's ever been changed, it's still a good idea.

Pioneer, the car is red with the special peeling clearcoat finish

Old 03-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

maybe the IAT/MAF sensor or the Camshaft Position Sensor or a vacuum leak ?

Ann's coupe acted like this, it was the tiny tube from the manifold that runs to the firewall, then under the battery tray into the heater/AC unit.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:58 PM

interesting new symptom......stopped by my moms for a few hours today. Her driveway has a bit of an incline and so I parked for several hours with the nose uphill. When I went to leave it just wouldn't start. I tried several series....three turns of the key each with the engine catching and dying before turning the key got me nothing. Each time I would disconnect the battery and try it again.

After doing the "battery reboot" 3 or 4 times, I rolled it back into the road, which is level, and after 3 battery reboots (each with 3 good key turn/engine catch and die) it started right up.

My thoughts are leaning more towards the filter, thinking the debris may have settled with the car parked on the hill?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:58 PM

interesting new symptom......stopped by my moms for a few hours today. Her driveway has a bit of an incline and so I parked for several hours with the nose uphill. When I went to leave it just wouldn't start. I tried several series....three turns of the key each with the engine catching and dying before turning the key got me nothing. Each time I would disconnect the battery and try it again.

After doing the "battery reboot" 3 or 4 times, I rolled it back into the road, which is level, and after 3 battery reboots (each with 3 good key turn/engine catch and die) it started right up.

My thoughts are leaning more towards the filter, thinking the debris may have settled with the car parked on the hill?
Unless you live in the third world you will not find the gas tank to be filled with crap these days. The three start routine points to the SKREEM in most cases.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Would parking on a hill make it worse with the SKREEM or any other sensor with the exception of the anti tow circuit

Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Check the fuel pressure! You need to eliminate possible causes and fuel pressure is easy to check. You need 3 things for an engine to run. Air, fuel and spark. It's difficult to have an air blockage bad enough to keep a car from starting. Fuel pressure is an easy check, do it. Spark on modern cars is a bit more complicated. Eliminate air and fuel problems first because it won't cost you much or anything at all. If you don't use logic and the process of elimination you'll end up throwing more $$$$ than necessary at the problem. My humble and "the hard way" learned assessment.

Les

Old 03-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Check the fuel pressure! You need to eliminate possible causes and fuel pressure is easy to check. You need 3 things for an engine to run. Air, fuel and spark. It's difficult to have an air blockage bad enough to keep a car from starting. Fuel pressure is an easy check, do it. Spark on modern cars is a bit more complicated. Eliminate air and fuel problems first because it won't cost you much or anything at all. If you don't use logic and the process of elimination you'll end up throwing more $$$$ than necessary at the problem. My humble and "the hard way" learned assessment.

Les
Ditto the words of wisdom

Old 03-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Hi Guys

I'm a British serviceman currently stationed in Dijon, France. I've been having startup issues with my 2004 crossfire (manual) for sometime. Clearly in France the language problem exists and lack of qualified mechs!!

The symptoms are similar to what I've read about on this stream already but seem to be a lot worse, if not exclusively occurring in the cold/rain (something that hasn't been mentioned on the stream. They are:

1. Car drives......after a while (in poor weather) multiple dashboard lights come on and the speedo / RPM and engine heat dial all drop to zero. Car will still drive normally.

2. If I turn off the ignition while these problems exist I have trouble restarting. The engine will start and die immediately (as if it was immobilized). I can do this 3 times and then I get nothing. If I wait a while it will often start again, especially if I've opened the bonnet and removed the fuze box covers etc.

3. If driving but in the city, often the problem will come back AND the radiator will go crazy, making a really loud noise.

I've read about the RCM maybe being the issue and I'm REALLY interested in the thoughts of people on here who seem to know what you're talking about.

I've taken it to the Chyrsler garage here (well it says it is, but is now fiat) and they don't have the diagnostic computer (after keeping it for 2 weeks!!). I've had it serviced but the problems remains.

The weather here is no great and the car is running no problems. I must have started and stopped it 10 times this morning alone with no issues at all. In addition, I removed the cover under the engine and cleaned the earthing cable. It was green and is now back to bronze....could this have been causing or adding to the problem?

As I said, I'm convinced it's an electrical issue, linked to wet weather.

Thanks in advance for ANY thoughts you may have on the issue.

Dave

Old 03-15-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dave F
Hi Guys

I'm a British serviceman currently stationed in Dijon, France. I've been having startup issues with my 2004 crossfire (manual) for sometime. Clearly in France the language problem exists and lack of qualified mechs!!

The symptoms are similar to what I've read about on this stream already but seem to be a lot worse, if not exclusively occurring in the cold/rain (something that hasn't been mentioned on the stream. They are:

1. Car drives......after a while (in poor weather) multiple dashboard lights come on and the speedo / RPM and engine heat dial all drop to zero. Car will still drive normally.

2. If I turn off the ignition while these problems exist I have trouble restarting. The engine will start and die immediately (as if it was immobilized). I can do this 3 times and then I get nothing. If I wait a while it will often start again, especially if I've opened the bonnet and removed the fuze box covers etc.

3. If driving but in the city, often the problem will come back AND the radiator will go crazy, making a really loud noise.

I've read about the RCM maybe being the issue and I'm REALLY interested in the thoughts of people on here who seem to know what you're talking about.

I've taken it to the Chyrsler garage here (well it says it is, but is now fiat) and they don't have the diagnostic computer (after keeping it for 2 weeks!!). I've had it serviced but the problems remains.

The weather here is no great and the car is running no problems. I must have started and stopped it 10 times this morning alone with no issues at all. In addition, I removed the cover under the engine and cleaned the earthing cable. It was green and is now back to bronze....could this have been causing or adding to the problem?

As I said, I'm convinced it's an electrical issue, linked to wet weather.

Thanks in advance for ANY thoughts you may have on the issue.

Dave
I am surprised that the mechanics in Dijon can't cut the mustard. Sorry.
With all the rain is it possible that water has got into the trunk and messed up the pump that controls the door locks and by default a lot more besides?

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-15-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you hit the nail on the head. The earthing cable(ground)is one of the most vital connections on this auto. You cleaned it, but you probably need to replace it. Good luck, let us know the outcome.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:02 PM

180 and Steve

Thanks, I'll let you know...I'll check the RCM and change the cable.....Chrysler told me the cable was fine!!!!

180.....the mustard is just fine here!

Pictures also...before and after:

Last edited by Dave F; 03-15-2016 at 05:08 PM.