Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

'05 won't Start. Suspecting Skreem?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 won't Start. Suspecting Skreem?

Chrysler Crossfire 2005 Roadster won't start. I've already read up a bit on other threads and tried most of the troubleshooting that they've suggested but heres my situation:

Walked up to car and noticed remote not unlocking doors. Try to start, and it turns over twice but dies after, then nothing when I turn the key. The lights and AC come on but not even a click when I try and start it. Tried jumping the car and nothing, after all the battery is less than a month old in it. When I remove the battery connections it lets me turn it over twice more but it dies instantly. Tried new battery in key fob, fixing the solder in Relay Control Module, and even pulling the #9 fuse. Not sure what it could be. I'm dead in the water and want to exhaust my options before bringing it up to the dealer, since I don't have a warranty on it.
Could it be the Skreem?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: 05 won't Start. Suspecting Skreem?

Twice and no dice is the SKREEM.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cuziamninja
Chrysler Crossfire 2005 Roadster won't start. I've already read up a bit on other threads and tried most of the troubleshooting that they've suggested but heres my situation:

Walked up to car and noticed remote not unlocking doors. Try to start, and it turns over twice but dies after, then nothing when I turn the key. The lights and AC come on but not even a click when I try and start it. Tried jumping the car and nothing, after all the battery is less than a month old in it. When I remove the battery connections it lets me turn it over twice more but it dies instantly. Tried new battery in key fob, fixing the solder in Relay Control Module, and even pulling the #9 fuse. Not sure what it could be. I'm dead in the water and want to exhaust my options before bringing it up to the dealer, since I don't have a warranty on it.
Could it be the Skreem?
Sounds like the Skreem issue.
Do you have more than one key?
Lookup resyncing the key, I can't remember how, worked for me, changed battery in fob, resync key and another battery unhook, fired right up and not a problem since.
There are others here that will chime in, with suggestions, stealership will just make you waste thousands literally.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Sounds like the Skreem issue.
Do you have more than one key?
Lookup resyncing the key, I can't remember how, worked for me, changed battery in fob, resync key and another battery unhook, fired right up and not a problem since.
There are others here that will chime in, with suggestions, stealership will just make you waste thousands literally.
Ill give that a try tomorrow. I might have already done it, with the two button trick.
Doesn't the Skreem module need to be repaired at the dealer? Or is that possible to fix yourself?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:43 AM

Just tried everything. It has to be Skreem. 12 days til any Chrysler dealer can look at it.
I'll email SOS diagnostics. Is there any other person/company who could reprogram a new Skreem?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I posted the following back ion 4/16/2015 A new skreem module will cost somewhere between $150.00 to $200.00. Only an authorized Chrysler dealer can order one that will match your VIN. The instrument panel needs to be remove and both by keys ( assuming you have two) needed to be reprogramed as part of the process.

"An 04 with 18,000 miles. Same symptoms as described. Eliminated all other known easy fixes (also helps to have a second Crossfire to swap parts with). Called the dealership, skipped the 1/2 dozen services advisors and talked directly to the service manager, told him what I thought the issue was and that I wanted to come into town (Anchorage about a 50 mile drive) and meet with him and their certified XF tech. An hour later after talking with the tech who appeared to be a nice older guy who has been with the dealership forever and was originally trained on the XF back in 2003. I went over everything with him, RCM, CPS, batteries, etc. I believed it helped that I had the knowledge and information from this forum that I kinda sounded like I knew what I was talking about. The dealership ordered the module (that is VIN specific to your vehicle) and it came in on Friday and I had an appointment for 7am the following Monday. I followed the flatbed in to town and helped off load the car in their shop. Talked with the tech again, went over everything I had done to the car, and when he said something to the effect that he had be looking into the R&R of the module over the weekend, I had a good feeling this guy was a dedicated mechanic. Long story short- at my first meeting with them the tech said it would take about 2 hours to remove the dash and replace. I got a call at 3pm that it was fixed and everything was working as it suppose to. I was out the door with a $425.00 bill for parts and labor.
In addition I believe it helped that I was able to meet one on one with the tech multiple times so he could get to know me and I him. I also know that there is no way he did this job in 2 hours. It was in his bay at 7 and he was just finishing up the paperwork at 3. I felt somewhat vindicated before I left in the morning when he hooked up the DRB III and it came up with "skreem module not communicating ----". I told him that fancy diagnostic tool he had was telling the same thing I was trying to tell him.
I like most on this forum cringe when considering taking our cars to a mechanic or "the" dealership and while I think I can do most things on these cars this was one that I didn't think I should try and tackle.
To conclude - yes - I know others have done this themselves by buying a used module, having it sent away and programed to their VIN. However, for $425 out the door, I couldn't be happier. Not to mention the 50 mile drive home from the dealership was priceless."