Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Accident, fender, front suspension damage, Advice Wanted!

Old 01-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Accident, fender, front suspension damage, Advice Wanted!

(sorry about title typo, didn't see until posted!)
I bought my crossfire only a couple months ago and have been reading the forums since. Unfortunately, I had an at-fault accident between myself and a guardrail at-speed due to a slick curve. I've contact insurance and the vehicle will be inspected at a shop tomorrow or Friday for suspension/frame/other non-cosmetic damage.

Chances are they will declare it a total loss, which here in WV State Farm uses 75% of NADA retail value as the threshold for TL (unfortunately been through this before with another car though not at fault that time).

I'm trying to decide if it will be worth buying back as salvage and using the check I get to have it repaired. I'm not mechanically inclined and would be paying a local shop and the labor fees associated, unfortunately). Minus my deductible and salvage value I could end up with a check around $6,500 (estimating myself).

I attached some (not great) damage pictures. The hood is not bent or bound and I can open and close it fine and it lines up on the other side. The headlight is untouched save for the outer upper mounting point snapped, and the marker light fit back in. The fender and inner wheel well liner is obviously a total loss. The bumper front and rear only have shallow scrapes. The door has shallow scrapes at both outer ends but not "dented" or misaligned at all. Scrapes on leading edge of the rear fender and bumper (not cracked).

What is behind that left fender that could be affected? I don't see any intrusion into the engine compartment or any change in the inner wall's alignment.

My big concern is the front suspension. At the time of impact I did not see it in the dark but now I see the front wheel angles in at the top, only about an inch and a half maybe compared to the other side. It doesn't appear to be push frontward or rearward in the well, just in at the top. Not enough to where you can really see it in the pictures, but you can looking head-on. Also, BAS/ESP light now on.

What could be the damage in that situation? I've read other threads here about curb accidents and bent control arms. I've looked at the mounting point for the strut and don't see a bend or signs of it being affected but again I'm not a mechanic. I can't get under the car well to get a picture but I might try this evening. Aside from a control arm, what else? Frame issue? Other mounting points to look at?

Side note, I got the vehicle far under book price due to a bad crankshaft position sensor. Thanks to this forum I fixed it myself for cheap and saved on half the price of the car, so I appreciate you all for that already.

TLDR; Since I'm already under value, I'm wondering if it isn't worth having repaired anyway. How far over $6,500 could I be in repairs? Suspension, fender, other? I know it really depends on what happened underneath. Thanks for any advice that could be offered!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 01-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Re: Acciden:, fender, front suspension damage, Advice Wanted!

I think they will total it because you have some parts ( you can see) that should be replaced , they,or you should look at bringing the car back to the way it was. which means your 6500 is low, I would insist new finders,doors, & bumpers,and that will go over YOUR figures ,, at 6500 i think it is a 2004. correct?

Old 01-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to see this happen hope your ok

Old 01-21-2016, 02:29 PM

Thanks, yes I'm glad I'm perfectly fine, that's the most important point really.

It's a 2005. Book price I believe they will use is $8,100, so minus my deductible and a guess at the salvage value, I'm estimating I could get a check for $6,500 if it's totaled. So that's why I'm looking to see how much more out of pocket I'll probably be paying to fix this.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Default Re: Accident, fender, front suspension damage, Advice Wanted!

Wanted to post a follow-up. After deductible, the estimate was about $6,500. Insurance valued the car higher than NADA retail, so they won't be totaling and will pay for repairs directly instead. Estimate included a new oem fender, fender skirt, the faux louver piece, oem headlight, oem foglight, both sidemarkers, new door shell, two new wheels, and new rear bumper; plus blending on hood and quarter panel. Their answer to the front wheel alignment issue is that it just needs an alignment. I'm guessing more will be found up there, so we'll see on that. If I get it back without any suspension work, I'll go ahead and take it somewhere for an inspection and likely replace some parts. I compared the upper control arms and I'm pretty sure the driver's side was slightly bent.

One of their network shops is a dealer that used to sell Mercedes around the SLK time period this is based on, so I chose them in the hopes that if they need any special Mercedes tools, they've still got them lying in a drawer.