Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Dead 2004 Crossfire

Old 11-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead 2004 Crossfire

I've got starting problems resembling the Skreem mod. Started for a second then died. Tried again, started for a second then died. 3rd try, nothing. Lights etc. came on but no start. Been racking my brain, spending countless hours here looking for solutions. Finally, towed to local dealer. Only one in the Atlanta area that would accept her. They replaced the Skreem mod then without telling me, replaced the RCM. Still would not start. They then said I needed to replace the PCM / computer, at a cost of $2200. I said I needed to think about it. When I called back, they told me they lost the key. My ONLY key. But they'd replace it. I asked if I could send the PCM off for repair but they told me that they'd only replace with a NEW PCM. (They won't use "used" parts) I said that since they lost my key and I needed to wait several days for a replacement key that I wanted to send it off. If that was the problem, it would then be fixed and I could go on my way. They agreed. I sent it off and got a response that my PCM was bench tested "good". I returned it back to the dealer and they installed it but still not starting. Dealer says that they still want to replace the PCM but aren't sure it will fix the problem. I can't afford to throw that much $$ without a guarantee. I don't know what else they would replace after that. (assuming it doesn't fix the problem) They suggested I get a second opinion. (They are giving up on it....) I'm starting to think I will either sell her as a "mechanic special" or start parting her out.... Any thoughts, suggestions or offers would be greatly appreciated. D.A.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dead 2004 Crossfire

Is there any way to completely bypass the security system / or disable it??

Old 11-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by da pink
I've got starting problems resembling the Skreem mod. Started for a second then died. Tried again, started for a second then died. 3rd try, nothing. Lights etc. came on but no start. Been racking my brain, spending countless hours here looking for solutions. Finally, towed to local dealer. Only one in the Atlanta area that would accept her. They replaced the Skreem mod then without telling me, replaced the RCM. Still would not start. They then said I needed to replace the PCM / computer, at a cost of $2200. I said I needed to think about it. When I called back, they told me they lost the key. My ONLY key. But they'd replace it. I asked if I could send the PCM off for repair but they told me that they'd only replace with a NEW PCM. (They won't use "used" parts) I said that since they lost my key and I needed to wait several days for a replacement key that I wanted to send it off. If that was the problem, it would then be fixed and I could go on my way. They agreed. I sent it off and got a response that my PCM was bench tested "good". I returned it back to the dealer and they installed it but still not starting. Dealer says that they still want to replace the PCM but aren't sure it will fix the problem. I can't afford to throw that much $$ without a guarantee. I don't know what else they would replace after that. (assuming it doesn't fix the problem) They suggested I get a second opinion. (They are giving up on it....) I'm starting to think I will either sell her as a "mechanic special" or start parting her out.... Any thoughts, suggestions or offers would be greatly appreciated. D.A.
We have to assume the dealer properly initialize the SKREEM but it wouldn't hurt to ask them how they did it, if they did it? And if the no start has the same symptoms or they are different.

Ya know if you only have one FOB it could have been the RFID chip in the FOB causing the no start not the SKREEM.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 11-30-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
We have to assume the dealer properly initialize the SKREEM but it wouldn't hurt to ask them how they did it, if they did it? And if the no start has the same symptoms or they are different.

Ya know if you only have one FOB it could have been the RFID chip in the FOB causing the no start not the SKREEM.
How many cases of a "failed RFID chip" have you seen.. I can't recall a single one myself.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
How many cases of a "failed RFID chip" have you seen.. I can't recall a single one myself.

I agree so maybe someone in the Sharpsburg area would be able to lend a hand, as the dealership hasn't exhibited any knowledge about the car.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:24 AM

Sounds like they failed to retrieve the "secrete code" from the PCM when installing the new skreem.. which would mean at this point reprogramming the skreem (if possible?) or another replacement skreem coded and a matching set of keys with it.

With the DRBIII system they can go in and see that it is showing valid keys to confirm the PCM transfer..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 12-01-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like they failed to retrieve the "secrete code" from the PCM when installing the new skreem.. which would mean at this point reprogramming the skreem (if possible?) or another replacement skreem coded and a matching set of keys with it.

With the DRBIII system they can go in and see that it is showing valid keys to confirm the PCM transfer..
Is that what is covered in the TSB that is on this forum? I think it is
SB_08_030_06_ECU_Initialization

Old 12-01-2015, 08:15 PM

There were symptoms in a few posts and one for sure bouncing around inside the FOB.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
There were symptoms in a few posts and one for sure bouncing around inside the FOB.
Is that a two-stepping method of "correct.. I have yet to see a confirmed case of a failed RFID chip".. ?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:33 PM

Is that a two-stepping method of "correct.. I have yet to see a confirmed case of a failed RFID chip".. ?
OK so if the chip isn't close enough for the antenna to read it then it aint a bad chip so dachipaintfailed. You win. The car still didn't start, symptom the same.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

For those wondering, "dachipaintfailed" is not a German word, it translates to :
da chip aint failed"