Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Head Beam / Flash light don't work - both of them

Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Head Beam / Flash light don't work - both of them

Originally Posted by MB04XFIRE
My motto is "do it right, do it once or don't do it at all "
So all I'm saying is that I would rather put the odds in my favor and put in a new part for only 2 hundred bucks more. I don't ever want to be replacing it again lol my time to potentially have to do the work twice is worth more than the 2 bills
I get paid the same whether my feet are up on the coffee table.. or putting in a $50 switch..

Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a question in regards to the headlight, fog light switch on the bottom left of the dash..
Turning the dial clockwise turns on the park light then the headlights. Pulling on the dial one notch turns on the fog lights...
I was playing around today with my hid lights and noticed that I could pull the dial yet another notch??? Just wondering what that is all about.. Had my car now for over a year and that's the first time i noticed that.. It doesn't seem do operate anything by pulling it out tomthsecond notch.. Just curious as to what this is for if anything at all.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM

That is a non functioning item of our US based cars.. Euro cars use a rear fog light.. and guess how you turn it on.. LOL

Old 03-09-2016, 07:41 PM

Aww very nice... Thanks for that tidbit of information..

Old 05-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
That is a non functioning item of our US based cars.. Euro cars use a rear fog light.. and guess how you turn it on.. LOL

Were you saying the pulling the headlight switch out to the step after the fog light setting doesn't do anything on US cars, or that the hi beam flasher on the multi function stalk doesn't do anything on US cars? My hi beam flash didn't work when I got the car. Now the right turn signal comes on a for a couple flashes then dies. I think the multi function switch needs to be replaced?

Old 05-09-2016, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ROB311952
Were you saying the pulling the headlight switch out to the step after the fog light setting doesn't do anything on US cars, or that the hi beam flasher on the multi function stalk doesn't do anything on US cars? My hi beam flash didn't work when I got the car. Now the right turn signal comes on a for a couple flashes then dies. I think the multi function switch needs to be replaced?
Second detent on the fog light activation is useless..

I've got a replacement for my coupe's multifunction switch I've yet to install. damndest thing though.. had to move the car around.. and just for grins hit the left turn.. nice bright pretty as you could ask for.. hit the right..worked fine.. which it had been.. back to left ..and nothing once again.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:57 PM

Second detent on the fog light activation is useless..

I've got a replacement for my coupe's multifunction switch I've yet to install. damndest thing though.. had to move the car around.. and just for grins hit the left turn.. nice bright pretty as you could ask for.. hit the right..worked fine.. which it had been.. back to left ..and nothing once again.
Yes, my right blinker works sometimes, and sometimes just blinks once or twice and quits.
Left one always works, and the 4 way flashers always work, so I think the mf switch is dying.

On your multi0function switch, can you flash the high beams with it? Mine won't. It will put the high beams on when I flip it, but won't flash them like when you want to pass someone.

How much did you pay for your mf switch? I afraid of messing with that clock spring / air bag deal. I think I'm going to farm this one out and buy the switch. I've found it new for about $250.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 PM

No flash to pass on mine.. it went out about 2 years ago. I got my switch off Ebay from a salvage yard (tested good) for $50. Looks like the biggest issue is torqueing off the steering wheel.

Got this link off another thread..

Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Turn Signal Stalk and Combination Switch Replacement | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Old 05-10-2016, 06:12 AM

No flash to pass on mine.. it went out about 2 years ago. I got my switch off Ebay from a salvage yard (tested good) for $50. Looks like the biggest issue is torqueing off the steering wheel.

Got this link off another thread..

Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Turn Signal Stalk and Combination Switch Replacement | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article
When you do it, let me know how it goes. Hopefully I will get the flash to pass back after a new switch is installed to fix the right blinker.