Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Battery discharge problem

Old 11-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery discharge problem

Hi,
I am new to the forum having just purchased a 2004 Crossfire. It has a really clean body and runs really well.
However the day after I brought it home I have a flat battery. I found this forum and followed some good advice. With the key out I was getting a 750ma discharge. With the engine running I was getting 14.4 volts into the battery, however I was also getting 33 volts ac which seemed to suggest faulty diodes in the alternator. According to the advice the next step was to remove the red lead from the alternator to prove it.
I have been unable to do that yet as I have no garage and some vile weather here. However I have also found a problem with the ignition switch. When the key is out a number of items that would normally be on in the accessories position are still live eg radio, wipers, heated seats. I have switched everything off and waited for 45 minutes to ensure everything has shut down but still I am getting a 0.75 amp discharge. Is this likely to be a mechanical problem with the ignition or an electrical problem.
Have I got two different problems here, which is causing the discharge, or could both be a problem.
The previous owner put in a new battery a couple of months ago I suspect the problem was showing up then. I think I have been stitched up here as he is mysteriously uncontactable now.
Thanks
Robin

Old 11-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: Battery discharge problem

Well, since you have shown that you are capable of measuring the ma drain, I'd suggest you do that and start pulling fuses one at a time from the under hood fuse panel.
If that doesn't indicate where the problem lies, next start pulling the fuses one at a time from the RCM module in the box by the battery.
Finally, do the same with the lighting panel under the cover at the driver's side of the dash.

( Welcome to the forum ! )