Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Alarm Issues / Clicking In Bay

Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Issues / Clicking In Bay

Hi All,

We own a 2004 Crossfire and have been having similar alarm issues often found in a lot of threads on this forum. Alarm goes off in the middle of the night and can even happen during driving.

So far, I have

- Replaced the 2 fobs batteries
- Replaced the car battery with a genuine MOPAR

No change, still goes off randomly.

I couldn't find the source of the alarm going off so I decided to pull the alarm siren unit out and take a look at the internal batteries based. Haven't been able to check them as I need a hacksaw to cut the housing. For the time being, I decided I might leave the unit out so I can use the car and see if the alarm still goes off (which might be difficult to notice since the siren is out).

Now my question is it possible if the alarm does go off, can I check a alarm code or something that might pinpoint the issue?

Also since removing the alarm siren I noticed a violent clicking coming from what I believe is a engine sensor, just in-front of the car battery (attached picture). Is this normal?

I also have a engine light that has been on for a couple of months, which I hope to identify.

Thanks for any help in advance, I will try keep this thread updated until I resolve the issues above.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P_20151012_162519.jpg (308.7 KB, 22 views)
Attached Files
Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: Alarm Issues / Clicking In Bay

Originally Posted by soxih
Hi All,

We own a 2004 Crossfire and have been having similar alarm issues often found in a lot of threads on this forum. Alarm goes off in the middle of the night and can even happen during driving.

So far, I have

- Replaced the 2 fobs batteries
- Replaced the car battery with a genuine MOPAR

No change, still goes off randomly.

I couldn't find the source of the alarm going off so I decided to pull the alarm siren unit out and take a look at the internal batteries based. Haven't been able to check them as I need a hacksaw to cut the housing. For the time being, I decided I might leave the unit out so I can use the car and see if the alarm still goes off (which might be difficult to notice since the siren is out).

Now my question is it possible if the alarm does go off, can I check a alarm code or something that might pinpoint the issue?

Also since removing the alarm siren I noticed a violent clicking coming from what I believe is a engine sensor, just in-front of the car battery (attached picture). Is this normal?

I also have a engine light that has been on for a couple of months, which I hope to identify.

Thanks for any help in advance, I will try keep this thread updated until I resolve the issues above.
Saw the siren in half as explained in the PDF file and check the batteries, for battery leakage and circuit board damage.

The clicking solenoid is not a sensor it is a part of the fuel vapor control system and allows fumes to be vented through the throttle body for burning, it is called the EVAP PURGE SOLENOID and I cannot see how it is affected by the alarm problem.

Get the engine error codes read to see what is causing the CEL, I would expect it to be caused by the purge valve problem.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alarm Issues / Clicking In Bay

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The clicking solenoid is not a sensor it is a part of the fuel vapor control system and allows fumes to be vented through the throttle body for burning, it is called the EVAP PURGE SOLENOID and I cannot see how it is affected by the alarm problem.

Get the engine error codes read to see what is causing the CEL, I would expect it to be caused by the purge valve problem.
Thanks for the response onehundred80.

Following the PDF I was able to replace the batteries in the siren and haven't had an issue with the alarm since XMAS, great!

After fixing the alarm the engine fault light remains illuminated which was expected. I got the engine fault light diagnosed at a car service place down the road (free of charge which was nice of them) which show the following error codes.
  • P0412 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Malfunction
  • P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction
  • P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
  • P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Which could be caused by the following, looking at the 2004 service manual.

P0403
GR SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
EGR SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND EGR SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE FUSED ENGINE CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN EGR SOLENOID
EGR VALVE
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

P0412
FUSED ENGINE CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
FUSED ENGINE CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORTED AIR PUMP SWITCHOVER SOLENOID

P0132
O2 SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE ENGINE EXHAUST LEAK
O2 SENSOR

P0155
O2 HEATER CONTROL SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 HEATER ELEMENT

P0135
O2 HEATER CONTROL SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 HEATER ELEMENT

The mechanic did reset the codes but the engine fault light turn on again 2 days later.

From what I can tell the car runs fine and doesn't seem to have any issues so at this stage I am not sure where to start but I would like to get it fix and am willing to give repairing it a go.

Looking at the faults above where should I start? I am resourceful and should be able to find my way but would appreciate any advice and will stay updated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0229-2.jpg (492.8 KB, 7 views)