Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

No Start - Need addition solutions

Old 10-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No Start - Need addition solutions

Originally Posted by autumnmass
My experience, I ran into the same problem, dealership replaced SKREEM but didn't know what they were doing. Think the original SKREEM they put in, somehow burn't out the PCM. They had to put in another SKREEM and PCM. It took me 6 months to get my car back from dealership. In Boston area, Mercedes dealers will not work on a Crossfire. Was a total nightmare.
Wow that's ridiculous and you have patience I must say. This sounds like what the end of my story is going to sound like.

Except I'm out of extended warranty and the PCM is only covered under Federal Emissions Warranty 8 years from start of factory which is also expired.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular

PS: I was lucky mine was covered under warranty, dealership told me over $4K was invoice. Unfortunately this was the second time I had the SKREEM problem. First, happened in November 2013, then again in Dcember 2014. Hope everything works out for you,

Old 10-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffNSoFly
**Second Update**

Service manager called to tell me the second SKREEM module still does not fix the problem. They are being told from Chrysler engineering you need to replace the PCM as well with the SKREEM module.

I'm being told I need to pay $3,300 for a new PCM and there are only 3 available in the whole US. Which to be honest I cannot afford and it would be ashame to get rid of this car with only 48k miles on it.

I find this hard to believe. Is there any info I can print out for any possible other solutions?
I think a PCM from a scrapped Crossfire like yours should work, maybe $300. It is not VIN coded as far as I know, so go on eBay or a scrap car business.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:39 AM

Does anyone know when you read the VIN # from the SKREEM module does it show the full VIN for the car or does it only show partially?

The tech mentioned on both NEW modules it only reads "1C3" the first 3 digits of my VIN #. Also with the new modules the car will no longer do the "3 crank and quit" sequence but, with my old module it does.

Tech says the PCM needs replacing. To me it sounds like the PCM isn't recognizing the SKREEM module because of the VIN?

Basically they cannot do anything more for the car without a new PCM. I tried looking around but, only find one for $2000 (MODULE. Powertrain Control made by Mopar. #05189967AB)

Old 10-21-2015, 09:45 AM

Does anyone know when you read the VIN # from the SKREEM module does it show the full VIN for the car or does it only show partially?

The tech mentioned on both NEW modules it only reads "1C3" the first 3 digits of my VIN #. Also with the new modules the car will no longer do the "3 crank and quit" sequence but, with my old module it does.

Tech says the PCM needs replacing. To me it sounds like the PCM isn't recognizing the SKREEM module because of the VIN?

Basically they cannot do anything more for the car without a new PCM. I tried looking around but, only find one for $2000 (MODULE. Powertrain Control made by Mopar. #05189967AB)
The VIN number is programmed into the SKREEM and is not visible. The numbers you can see show that it is the correct part, but it will not function as it s VIN number programmed in it does not match the chip in the fob, your fob chip matches the VIN in the original SKREEM module.
Remember the PCM you buy must be the same as the one on your car, one from another model will not do.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The VIN number is programmed into the SKREEM and is not visible. The numbers you can see show that it is the correct part, but it will not function as it s VIN number programmed in it does not match the chip in the fob, your fob chip matches the VIN in the original SKREEM module.
Remember the PCM you buy must be the same as the one on your car, one from another model will not do.
Your saying the FOB needs reprogrammed to sync with the new SKREEM module when its replaced? Or a new key needs to be programmed with a new module?

Old 10-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Your saying the FOB needs reprogrammed to sync with the new SKREEM module when its replaced? Or a new key needs to be programmed with a new module?
No, the SKREEM must be reprogrammed to suit the VIN. This cannot be done by the dealer for security reasons.
The fob is already coded to the VIN.
eBay TC modules, some are listed here. This may list in Canadian dollars.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-21-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:12 AM

After testing the PCM all the pins I found pin 35 (Ground Fault) has no voltage. Looking at some diagrams that pin sends to the pulse module and then to the starter.

Going to crack open the PCM and follow that pin and see if any fuses/resistors are bad. Hopefully this solves my problem. I think I have better luck fixing the PCM that trying to find another one. Literally after hours could not find one anywhere.

I still have a suspicion about the key transponder is bad. Unlocking and locking the doors would rule that out right?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

I still have a suspicion about the key transponder is bad. Unlocking and locking the doors would rule that out right?
NO - locking/unlocking is an entirely separate function from the transponder chip being queried by the SKREEM.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:03 PM

Ok I was able to obtain a salvaged ECU from a wrecked crossfire. Thanks to the crossfireshop.com!

This weekend I installed a new battery and new batteries in the FOB. The alarm sounded as soon as I hooked it up and noticed fuse #9 was missing so that made sense why.

I put a spare 10amp fuse in #9 but, the dom lights and locking/unlocking the doors still worked which I don't understand why.

As far as voltage testing I'm not getting any voltage out of the pulse module nor any going into from the ignition switch. Could a faulty ignition switch cause a no crank??

If not my only option is to get the salvaged ECU reprogrammed with my VIN# and hopefully things connect.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:26 PM

This is exactly what is happening to me. Car died with the same symptoms over two weeks ago. Reading here I suspected the SKREEM and told them when I towed the car in. This is a Chevy dealer I bought the car from and bring it to them so I don't have to pay a deductible with my extended warranty. They then sent it to Chrysler since it was electronic related and nothing mechanical they can do. Two weeks later, Chrysler agrees with me, it's the SKREEM. They are saying the chip in my remote went bad too, and when they replace the SKREEM with one they have in stock, I need a new key and to get it programmed. They have this in stock too. But the warranty company says they won't cover the key, only the SKREEM. Chrysler says the car will not work without a new key and having it programmed.

Talking with a few others online, they agree, the SKREEM needs to be VIN programmed, not off the shelf. They suspect the dealer has one sitting there with a key that was sent for another car and trying to unload the set. With the proper VIN programmed SKREEM, my old remote should work, and if the chip inside is actually bad like they claim, my second remote should work, correct? No keyfob programming needed?

What is confusing here is I see instructions on how to program our keyfobs, but I also see the above post saying how the keyfob is also VIN set and can't be. So I'm confused, what does the programming actually do that is posted in the tech section, if that fob needs to be VIN specific?

Fueling up on all my info as I bring the second remote in tomorrow. I'm out of work right now with unemployment running dry. Don't have the $210 for a new keyfob and programming. Glad the $600 SKREEM is covered, this was why I bought the warranty knowing Mercedes parts are expensive.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe they need a copy of the service manual?

8E - 78 ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES - SERVICE INFORMATION ZH
PROGRAMMING THE PCM
The Sentry Key Remote Entry System Secret Key is an ID code that is unique to each Sentry Key Remote Entry
Module. This code is programmed and stored in the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module, the PCM, and the ignition
key transponder chip(s). When replacing the PCM, the DRB IIIT will program the secret key into the new PCM.
Note: If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secured access mode
will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position
for one hour, then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories are turned off. Also monitor the battery
state and connect a battery charger if necessary).
PROGRAMMING THE SENTRY KEY REMOTE ENTRY MODULE
Note: Be sure to enter the correct country code. If the incorrect country code is programmed into the Sentry
Key Remote Entry Module, it cannot be changed and the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module must be
replaced.
1. Program ignition keys to the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module.
Note: If the PCM and the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module are replaced at the same time, all vehicle ignition
keys will need to be replaced and programmed to the new Sentry Key Remote Entry Module.
PROGRAMMING IGNITION KEYS TO THE SENTRY KEY REMOTE ENTRY MODULE
Note: A maximum of eight keys can be learned to each Sentry Key Remote Entry Module. Once a key is
learned to an Sentry Key Remote Entry Module it (the key) cannot be transferred to another vehicle.
1. Obtain ignition keys to be programmed from the customer (8 keys maximum).
2. Using the DRB IIIT, erase all ignition keys.
3. Program all of the ignition keys.
If ignition key programming is unsuccessful, the DRB IIIT will display a failure message.
REMOVAL
REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable (2).
2. Slide the clips forward to remove the plastic control
module box cover (1).

Old 11-23-2015, 11:38 PM

And here's a little more from the service manual..

The SKREEM retains in memory the ID numbers of any ignition key transponder that is programmed into it. For
added system security each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code. This code is stored in memory,
sent over the CAN data bus to the PCM, and is encoded to the transponder of every ignition key that is programmed
into the SKREEM.
In the event that a SKREEM replacement is required, the secret key code can be transferred to the new SKREEM
from the PCM using the DRB IIIT scan tool and the ignition key system replacement programming procedure.
Proper completion of the ignition key system initialization will allow the existing ignition keys to be programmed into
the new SKREEM so that new keys will not be required. In the event that the original secret key code cannot be
recovered, SKREEM replacement will also require new ignition keys. The DRB IIIT scan tool will alert the technician
during the key reprogramming procedure if new ignition keys are required.
The sentry key system performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position and will
store fault information in the form of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in SKREEM memory if a system malfunction
is detected. The SKREEM can be diagnosed and any stored DTCs can be retrieved using a DRB IIIT scan tool.
Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
And here's a little more from the service manual..

The SKREEM retains in memory the ID numbers of any ignition key transponder that is programmed into it. For
added system security each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code. This code is stored in memory,
sent over the CAN data bus to the PCM, and is encoded to the transponder of every ignition key that is programmed
into the SKREEM.
In the event that a SKREEM replacement is required, the secret key code can be transferred to the new SKREEM
from the PCM using the DRB IIIT scan tool and the ignition key system replacement programming procedure.
Proper completion of the ignition key system initialization will allow the existing ignition keys to be programmed into
the new SKREEM so that new keys will not be required. In the event that the original secret key code cannot be
recovered, SKREEM replacement will also require new ignition keys. The DRB IIIT scan tool will alert the technician
during the key reprogramming procedure if new ignition keys are required.
The sentry key system performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position and will
store fault information in the form of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in SKREEM memory if a system malfunction
is detected. The SKREEM can be diagnosed and any stored DTCs can be retrieved using a DRB IIIT scan tool.
Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.
So if I'm reading this correct, they should be able to take the SKREEM they have in stock, plug it in, and transfer that code back into it from the PCM. The SKREEM is not VIN specific needing to come from the factory direct like others are saying. Then with that code back in the SKREEM from the PCM, the keys should work. They are saying the chip in my key went bad, therefore I need to get a new key as well and have it programmed to the new SKREEM. Supposedly my second key will not work either either but the service tech suggested I bring it in to have it checked.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:46 AM

Vin specific and "pre coded" I can't swear to.. Like you that is what I've heard. One guy on face book claimed he purchased a skreem.. plugged it in and all was fine.. I find that hard to believe myself. I don't know that you could purchase a "virgin" skreem.. and as noted they program the keys into the skreem.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:47 AM

After 9 months the car finally runs. I had no luck finding an independent shop that had the right diagnostic tools or the proprietary software for this car. I was denied at a few dealers, most shops wouldn't even entertain the thought either.

The process to figuring out what was the exact problem was extensive and also very mysterious. There was no starter ground coming from the PCM to the pulse module and no positive feed from the pulse module to the start itself. After replacing the pulse module there still wasn't any ground coming from the PCM and that was also replaced. New keys were ordered and the PCM, pulse, SKREEM were all communicating with no problems. (These parts were replaced individually once and then a second time to be programmed all at once).

The problem was my "original key", lock cylinders and door locking module were not matching/cut per my VIN. The new keys they ordered off my VIN would not turn the ignition in the car. They would open my glove box but, wouldn't start the car or manually open the doors. My old key would do the exact opposite but, now the SKREEM, PCM and pulse were programmed to the new keys.

They had to take the metal blade from my old key and put it in the electronics of the new key to get the car to start. Basically they believe at one point the key, ignition cylinder, door locking module and possible the PCM, SKREEM were all from a donor crossfire.

I've had this car when it only had 400 miles on it but, I bet ill never figure out if it was stolen beforehand or had these parts replaced before I bought it. Since I've never had any problems with the key, ignition cylinder or door locking module I'm positive it wasn't tampered with during ownership.

The bill I won't disclose is massive due to it being at the dealer but, at this point I needed the car back!

Last edited by BuffNSoFly; 06-17-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Forum Regular

Very glad to hear your back up and running and I can relate to your frustration. SKREEM, PCM must be big problems on our cars. My experiences, Chrysler Dealer had to replace SKREEM and PCM 2 times within 2 years. Second time was a disaster, had it on lot for 7 1/2 months, seems like most repair shops don't want to be bothered working on XCross.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by autumnmass
Very glad to hear your back up and running and I can relate to your frustration. SKREEM, PCM must be big problems on our cars. My experiences, Chrysler Dealer had to replace SKREEM and PCM 2 times within 2 years. Second time was a disaster, had it on lot for 7 1/2 months, seems like most repair shops don't want to be bothered working on XCross.
Yes it feels good to back on the road. I wish i could say the same for my bank account haha
Hopefully through our problems/experiences with our cars it will help educate the dealers and owners in the future when these bizarre occurrences happen.

They didn't seem to have many problems replacing/reprogramming the cars but, when something doesn't match up it throws everything off.

Did you have a warranty on those parts for the second time they failed? I was told the parts have a 2 year/24k warranty.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

After 9 months the car finally runs. I had no luck finding an independent shop that had the right diagnostic tools or the proprietary software for this car. I was denied at a few dealers, most shops wouldn't even entertain the thought either.

The process to figuring out what was the exact problem was extensive and also very mysterious. There was no starter ground coming from the PCM to the pulse module and no positive feed from the pulse module to the start itself. After replacing the pulse module there still wasn't any ground coming from the PCM and that was also replaced. New keys were ordered and the PCM, pulse, SKREEM were all communicating with no problems. (These parts were replaced individually once and then a second time to be programmed all at once).

The problem was my "original key", lock cylinders and door locking module were not matching/cut per my VIN. The new keys they ordered off my VIN would not turn the ignition in the car. They would open my glove box but, wouldn't start the car or manually open the doors. My old key would do the exact opposite but, now the SKREEM, PCM and pulse were programmed to the new keys.

They had to take the metal blade from my old key and put it in the electronics of the new key to get the car to start. Basically they believe at one point the key, ignition cylinder, door locking module and possible the PCM, SKREEM were all from a donor crossfire.

I've had this car when it only had 400 miles on it but, I bet ill never figure out if it was stolen beforehand or had these parts replaced before I bought it. Since I've never had any problems with the key, ignition cylinder or door locking module I'm positive it wasn't tampered with during ownership.

The bill I won't disclose is massive due to it being at the dealer but, at this point I needed the car back!
WOW! I am glad you can enjoy the car now. Makes me even more suspect of a used car's history when I hear a story like yours but at least you know it's history now.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
WOW! I am glad you can enjoy the car now. Makes me even more suspect of a used car's history when I hear a story like yours but at least you know it's history now.
Thanks! Sometimes you never know until something breaks.

They were telling me they only see mismatched keys and ignition cylinders with a theft recovery or R-title vehicle. It literally is mind blowing.

Quick Reply: No Start - Need addition solutions