Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Transmission control or safe mode??

Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission control or safe mode??

Trying to figure this out...problem is it always happens when my wife drives the car.

Best i can get from her is that the car shifts into second gear and does not upshift from there.

Seems if you shut it down and restart, everything if fine and runs like a top. No fault codes..

Anyone ever experience this??

I know simple solution is not to let her drive it anymore....but.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: Transmission control or safe mode??

Most likely the conductor plate is starting to go.
It's a DIY for about $140 ( NOT including a new filter and fluid($$$$$$) ) ( Google NAG1 conductor plate, shucks even Amazon has 'em )
On the DIY 1-10 scale, it's about a 6.
On the messy 1-10 scale it's a 9.
If you have access to a lift, it's a 4-5 on both scales.
If you don't have access to a lift, JACK STANDS are mandatory. ( You have been warned )

Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The transmission is going into "limp mode" . . . that's when it stays in second gear and won't shift up or down. If you can "catch it" when it's in limp mode, does it throw the check engine light? If so read the trouble code at that time and advise.

FIRST you need to check the transmission fluid level. If it's a bit low it will cause this problem. It is common for the connector on the transmission to develop a leak (the OEM 0-rings deteriorate). If you have an obvious leak of transmission fluid, it's probably coming from the connector so you need to replace that part. If the fluid level is correct and there are no obvious leaks . . . then . . . read on . . .

I had this issue recently but mine would not come out of limp mode no matter what I tried. I was getting a CEL and a trouble code of P0715. After installing a new conductor plate the problem was still there. It turned out to be a poor connection at the transmission control module (TCM or TCU) which is located passenger side upper floorboard. Grab the carpeting at the top and peel it down. Remove the white styrofoam piece and you'll see a metal plate. Remove the three 10mm nuts and lay the plate down on top of the carpet. The TCM / TCU is the black box you'll see mounted at the bottom of the plate to the left of the stereo amplifier. Try disconnecting that wiring harness from the TCM / TCU, clean up the connection, apply some dielectric silicone compound available at NAPA (to prevent future corrosion at the connection), hook the connector back up and see what happens.

ags-ds1-400_zpsa8dfb5c6.jpg

If that doesn't turn out to be the source of the problem then as ala_xfire says, you might need to have a new conductor plate installed in the transmission (but normally if it's a problem with the conductor plate, it wouldn't correct itself by turning off and restarting the car AND it would throw the CEL and a trouble code).

Here is where I bought mine . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251359627584?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Good luck . . . Please come back to Let us know the results . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-26-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Thanks,

Thinking it doesn't look like such a bad job to replace the conductor plate, and that electrical connector looks as it will go sometime anyway.
Probably time for some fresh trany fluid too! I'll get after that connector to the TCM..hopefully all this will solve the problem. I hate this time of intermittent problem, takes the fun out of driving the car not knowing if it reliable. Thanks for all the help..great site!

Old 10-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Thank you, Red Dog, for your insight into possible causes of tranny going into limp mode. The first fix I will try is to clean the TCM/TCU connector and seal it with dielectric grease and if that doesn't do it I will move on to the plate in the tranny, which I assume is just inside the pan.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Inside the pan and between the valve body and transmission.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Hey guys, would this be the same issue I am having?
The car was fine last week. Its been at the body shop getting some mods. I pick it up
Just now and it feels like its not leaving the first gear. Definitely not wanting to shift up. Kind of jerked around
a little bit like it was having a hard time.After I got going it was
ok feeling and then at the next light it gets all whiney again. I put it in park at the light and then autosticked it
and I was good ... til the next light again.... and then it went all whiney and didnt shift. It wouldnt
even go into autostick the next time.
Thanks yall
Tracy

Old 10-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT6GRL
Hey guys, would this be the same issue I am having?
The car was fine last week. Its been at the body shop getting some mods. I pick it up
Just now and it feels like its not leaving the first gear. Definitely not wanting to shift up. Kind of jerked around
a little bit like it was having a hard time.After I got going it was
ok feeling and then at the next light it gets all whiney again. I put it in park at the light and then autosticked it
and I was good ... til the next light again.... and then it went all whiney and didnt shift. It wouldnt
even go into autostick the next time.
Thanks yall
Tracy

Hi Tracy,

It sounds like it could be the TCM/TCU connector, a lot of dust, air, and moisture gets blown around a body shop, and it certainly could have affected it. It's an inexpensive procedure to clean and seal it with dielectric grease. Not much to lose in doing it.

Dave

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
Hi Tracy,

It sounds like it could be the TCM/TCU connector, a lot of dust, air, and moisture gets blown around a body shop, and it certainly could have affected it. It's an inexpensive procedure to clean and seal it with dielectric grease. Not much to lose in doing it.

Dave
Thanks Dave, that will be my first thing then. I will pick up the dielectric grease on the way home. Wanted to make sure I was on the right track first.
Appreciate it
Tracy

Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you feel any vibration with the whine ? In any automagic I've seen before that is a classic "2 quarts low" sign.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The corrosion is usually from water getting down there. A leak, or leaving a window down, spilling a drink, a lot of things can cause moisture to get in there. It is best when cleaning your car, to take time to inspect that area.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Ok guys. I got back to my car pretty late last night. I DID stop and buy the Dielectric grease on the way home. I did not notice a "vibration" just some jerky gear changes. On the way home I didn't get the whine with no gear change. Only a couple of jerky changes. So, a little different than on my way out yesterday AM. I will HOPEFULLY get to look at the TCM tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the input and I will let you know

Old 10-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

I may be wrong, but I think the connector Dave is talking about is the cable connector on the transmission.
This is a known faulty area, renowned for leaks.
In case I AM wrong, check the TCM module connectors also ......