Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Getting to know the "Silver Streak"

Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting to know the "Silver Streak"

I feel like I'm getting to know the "Silver Streak" (as the wife calls our 04 coupe), pretty well for only having it 4 days. Tuesday I put the rear trunk area panels back the way they're supposed to be, previous owner or shop did something in the rear of the interior and didn't put the left and right panels back in properly. The snap fasteners that hold the panel to the interior wall were broken. Interior work is not my thing, I cussed more at the cheap plastic pop fasteners breaking than I ever did pulling an engine. Anyway that is fixed. New challenge: I went to the car-wash today, and today was a beauty, sun shining and no wind and 60 deg. I thought what a great day to be retired and go for a ride in the buggy...WRONG...I had water all over the passenger side floor. Can't have that, so I started into the problem. The water was leaking from the cabin filter and fan motor area. Lead me to believe drains were not working or the windshield was leaking. I looked it up on this forum and found some excellent information that put me on the path to the fix. The two drains and dam area on the passenger side underneath the windshield wiper cowling were loaded with crud, leaves, dead bugs, you name it, it was in there. I cleaned it all out of the dam area and then with a coat hanger I did a sort of roto-rooter job into each drain. Then I used and old piece of garden hose hooked it up to the faucet and shoved it down into each drain and turned on the water. I couldn't believe how much junk came out. I replaced the filthy cabin filter, buttoned her back up and used a shop-vac to suck the water out of the carpet. I finally went for my ride, about dusk. I love this car! My thanks to the members here that I was able to get the right info quick and fix 'er up on the cheap

Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts
Default Re: Getting to know the "Silver Streak"

Originally Posted by scot6580
I feel like I'm getting to know the "Silver Streak" (as the wife calls our 04 coupe), pretty well for only having it 4 days. Tuesday I put the rear trunk area panels back the way they're supposed to be, previous owner or shop did something in the rear of the interior and didn't put the left and right panels back in properly. The snap fasteners that hold the panel to the interior wall were broken. Interior work is not my thing, I cussed more at the cheap plastic pop fasteners breaking than I ever did pulling an engine. Anyway that is fixed. New challenge: I went to the car-wash today, and today was a beauty, sun shining and no wind and 60 deg. I thought what a great day to be retired and go for a ride in the buggy...WRONG...I had water all over the passenger side floor. Can't have that, so I started into the problem. The water was leaking from the cabin filter and fan motor area. Lead me to believe drains were not working or the windshield was leaking. I looked it up on this forum and found some excellent information that put me on the path to the fix. The two drains and dam area on the passenger side underneath the windshield wiper cowling were loaded with crud, leaves, dead bugs, you name it, it was in there. I cleaned it all out of the dam area and then with a coat hanger I did a sort of roto-rooter job into each drain. Then I used and old piece of garden hose hooked it up to the faucet and shoved it down into each drain and turned on the water. I couldn't believe how much junk came out. I replaced the filthy cabin filter, buttoned her back up and used a shop-vac to suck the water out of the carpet. I finally went for my ride, about dusk. I love this car! My thanks to the members here that I was able to get the right info quick and fix 'er up on the cheap

Make sure you get down below the carpet into the recess where the electronics are and clean/dry that area out. A few very expensive parts are located under the passenger floorboard I believe!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see you're getting her fixed up. I assume you have the Saphire Silver Blue metallic color (the best) IMO. I love the Williamsburg area, almost moved there a few years back. I return there frequently just to visit the wood working shop in the historic district, my other hobby. And as was already said, make sure that area is cleaned up and dry. Good luck with the Silver Streak, if I get down that way, I'll have to introduce The Ghost to the SS. LOL

Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Make sure you get down below the carpet into the recess where the electronics are and clean/dry that area out. A few very expensive parts are located under the passenger floorboard I believe!
Thank you for the info. I haven't pulled the carpet yet, but even though it feels dry there could be a puddle under there somewhere so I will check that out. I'm very fortunate so far with this car, it's an 04 with 32K on the clock and it looks almost new. The next thing I'm going to do is change out the steering damper. I have clicking coming from beneath the steering column and the damper leaks. Thanks again!

Last edited by scot6580; 01-18-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Glad to see you're getting her fixed up. I assume you have the Saphire Silver Blue metallic color (the best) IMO. I love the Williamsburg area, almost moved there a few years back. I return there frequently just to visit the wood working shop in the historic district, my other hobby. And as was already said, make sure that area is cleaned up and dry. Good luck with the Silver Streak, if I get down that way, I'll have to introduce The Ghost to the SS. LOL
Yes it is the Sapphire Silver Blue metallic color, and thanks for the compliment on the SS. If you ever get out this way let me know, and we can hook up for a coffee and check out our cars. It is very nice here in Williamsburg and we enjoy the community. But our hearts are far West of here. When my wife retires in 2 years or so, we are headed for the West, most likely Prescott AZ. We lived in Colorado Springs for a while and loved the mountains and kind of miss the wide open feel of the area. Glad to see that you have a hobby you enjoy; wood working is a creative hobby. I used to be a model maker machinist for the Navy, working in a machine shop on prototype designs for oceanography equipment, it was a great job. I'd like to pick up some metal working equipment one day when the wife retires and we get to where we are going to be, to just keep my hands dirty and build something. Best of luck to you and the Ghost!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM

I see in your mods list that you have the Eurocharged re-tune. I assume you have the NA 3.2 in your Limited as I do. Did you do a dyno before and after? I'm considering that mod as well and wonder if I'll get the extra ponies they advertise on their web page. I think they say their tune takes the hp up to around 240 with some more torque, I forget how much. How do you like their tune?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Let me chime in on this. I had been monitoring my car with Torque Pro. Had a spot on the turnpike on ramp where I was real consistent on max horsepower (calculated at the wheels). After my tune the test strip was actually reading a little less horse power. Doing other runs in area's though I did find I was actually peaking out with a plus 11HP. Unfortunately wasn't logging Torque. Seat of the pants says whatever they did shifted the max HP range, and has given it an overall sportier feel. Adding the 74mm throttle body, tune, and opening up the intake restrictions definitely makes this car more fun to drive.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Let me chime in on this. I had been monitoring my car with Torque Pro. Had a spot on the turnpike on ramp where I was real consistent on max horsepower (calculated at the wheels). After my tune the test strip was actually reading a little less horse power. Doing other runs in area's though I did find I was actually peaking out with a plus 11HP. Unfortunately wasn't logging Torque. Seat of the pants says whatever they did shifted the max HP range, and has given it an overall sportier feel. Adding the 74mm throttle body, tune, and opening up the intake restrictions definitely makes this car more fun to drive.
Thanks for chiming in...always a pleasure to talk with new folks. I've only been a member since I bought the Silver Streak last Monday and already have had some minor problems but gobs of helpful answers. This forum ROCKS! In so far as a tune, I really don't know if I want one yet. I don't race and I don't care about Ricky Racer in his turbocharged Honda beating me in the quarter mile. But a few more ponies under the bonnet for playful spirited driving is different. I'm going to be monitoring lots of different threads on modding the 3.2 NA. Not sure but from what I see, there are not many companies making parts for performance upgrades. These are the only people that I have found that offer kits for the 3.2 v6 in our cars, here's the link: Kleemann - Tuning for the 32 AMG/320 (M112) V6 engines.
Thank you all very much for your help! Any additional info on mods for a few more ponies is highly welcome. I've owned and modded a 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 and Ford Mustang 4.6 3V, so these little 3.2 German power plants are a new breed to me. But they all burn gas the same so there should be a way to get possibly another 40 to 50 HP out of these little beauties and still stay NA. So far so good I really like the motor...smooooooooooth!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM

I see in your mods list that you have the Eurocharged re-tune. I assume you have the NA 3.2 in your Limited as I do. Did you do a dyno before and after? I'm considering that mod as well and wonder if I'll get the extra ponies they advertise on their web page. I think they say their tune takes the hp up to around 240 with some more torque, I forget how much. How do you like their tune?

Hi! Never did a dyno, but I could feel the tune's increase with my butt-dyno. Its Def a good thing. Make sure you retune when you add CAI, Debaffle elbow and descreen the maf, and anything else opening up the intake. I hear doing exhaust mods don't require a retune but I will defer to the members if I am incorrect. Eurocharged are the go-to guys for a great deal on their tune!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Hi! Never did a dyno, but I could feel the tune's increase with my butt-dyno. Its Def a good thing. Make sure you retune when you add CAI, Debaffle elbow and descreen the maf, and anything else opening up the intake. I hear doing exhaust mods don't require a retune but I will defer to the members if I am incorrect. Eurocharged are the go-to guys for a great deal on their tune!
Actually they weren't concerned about a re tune when I noted I would be adding the "hot air intake' on the wife's .. the computer itself can compensate for it. There are no exhaust that create a noticeable increase other than sound. That tells me a re tune is not needed.

And just to clarify "is it worth it".. enough I paid for it again for the wife's car..

Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Actually they weren't concerned about a re tune when I noted I would be adding the "hot air intake' on the wife's .. the computer itself can compensate for it. There are no exhaust that create a noticeable increase other than sound. That tells me a re tune is not needed.

And just to clarify "is it worth it".. enough I paid for it again for the wife's car..
Very Cool! Sounds like a good enough reason for me. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say that you guys have got me convinced the tune is worth the bucks. You mentioned descreening the MAF; not sure about the m112 engine's set up on the MAF yet but I remember back when I had a 2000 Z28, I belonged to the LS1 forum and guys that were de-screening their MAF, were consistently ruining the air flow sensors in the center of the MAF. Correct me if I'm wrong but could that a little risky on this MAF intake setup?...Thanks

Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say that you guys have got me convinced the tune is worth the bucks. You mentioned descreening the MAF; not sure about the m112 engine's set up on the MAF yet but I remember back when I had a 2000 Z28, I belonged to the LS1 forum and guys that were de-screening their MAF, were consistently ruining the air flow sensors in the center of the MAF. Correct me if I'm wrong but could that a little risky on this MAF intake setup?...Thanks

Hi, our MAF is way different from the LS1 setup. I took out the plastic screen on top of the MAF. Left that little aluminum screen in place right above the sensor (filter side of MAF) to catch anything that might either get by the filters, or drop in when the cover is removed. Getting the elbow out takes a little time and effort but when you remove those baffles you'll free up a little more area for increased flow.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Hi, our MAF is way different from the LS1 setup. I took out the plastic screen on top of the MAF. Left that little aluminum screen in place right above the sensor (filter side of MAF) to catch anything that might either get by the filters, or drop in when the cover is removed. Getting the elbow out takes a little time and effort but when you remove those baffles you'll free up a little more area for increased flow.
I researched the official NA mod thread, good stuff in there. Someone posted that you get about 10 ponies from this mod these two mods together. I would guess that you definitely get a small increase in hp, and even if nothing else, throttle response should be get better. Which reminds me of a question to ask you if ya don't mind. In the tune that Eurocharged provides, do they take up the slack in the drive by wire latency this car tends to have? Thanks again for taking the time to explain these mods to me!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM

The tune does take out quite a bit of the latency.. so does doing a throttle reset if you haven't already found that.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 PM

The tune does take out quite a bit of the latency.. so does doing a throttle reset if you haven't already found that.
Nope, I didn't know about the reset taking out lag time, but I'll look that up, thank you!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Turn ignition switch on.. depress accelerator to the floor for five seconds.. turn switch to off.. release pedal and sit dormant for 2 minutes.. sounds like it hasn't been done in a while.. like mine when I got it.. IT DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! LOL..

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 PM

Turn ignition switch on.. depress accelerator to the floor for five seconds.. turn switch to off.. release pedal and sit dormant for 2 minutes.. sounds like it hasn't been done in a while.. like mine when I got it.. IT DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! LOL..
LOL buddy, just as you sent this, I found the thread for the TB reset, thanks again, you're right on it!