Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

head swap

Old 10-19-2004 | 06:57 AM
|
Default head swap

just read the car and driver article on the slk 350. has 268 hp and looks pretty nice. anyways the motor on the slk is now 3.5 liters and its dohc, not sohc like ours. do you guys think doing a head swap is possible with this car. just curious, because i know that you can swap a type r head on a crv motor and the crv motor is 2.4 l and the type r motor is 2.0 so i dont know if motor size matters with a head swap. but i dunno, i dont know crap about it, does anyone else?

Old 10-19-2004 | 09:14 AM
Default Re: head swap

I guess it would depend on the block. I'll see if I can dig up anything on that.

Old 10-19-2004 | 05:27 PM
|

the new head also has variable valve timing, so redline might increase too, good benefit for autocrossers. i know we wont reach the 268 hp of the slk, which is faster than a 350z btw, but it should give us a good 20-30 hp if it does work, and if your chipped, i dunno if the head swap would effect the programming of the chip, i assume it would, but if you tune it to the new head im pretty sure you could be looking at around 40+hp increase all together over stock. so maybe 255hp with those two mods, we'd be able to hang with or beat just about every car in our class (z4 3.0, 350z, chipped tt's, definately beat rx8's). it would be so cool if this worked, seeing as how our car is signficantly lighter than the slk.

Old 10-19-2004 | 06:26 PM
Forum Regular

The bore and stroke of the Crossfire is 89.9x84mm. The SLK350 is 92.9x86mm. It sounds like they probably just bored and stroked the existing block, so the head might bolt up. However, due to the different head design, I don't think you would be able to use the Crossfire intake (and maybe not the exhaust). You would have to use the SLK350 intake, fuel injection, ignition, and therefore engine electronics. Regargless of whether the intake would work or not, you'd need different engine electronics to use the variable valve timing. The timing chain system would also have to be changed since there is an extra cam on each head. It would probably be more cost effective to do a complete engine swap once a few are available as salvage.

Old 10-19-2004 | 10:38 PM
|

yeah i was thinking the same thing, but the more prolific the parts become it may be possible to get parts from ebay or somewhere like that. just a thought though, hope others are excited about this prospect and that this topic stays active.

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:35 PM

i dont think they are going to bolt up. i believe something with the fuel delivery is different, also it went from a dual spark to a single, may have to swap out the ignition system then too. Its not as cookie cutter as the b-series engines. Even with puttin a gsr head on a ls block there is still some big work that needs to be done. and they are bboth 1.8's. they need to be machined alike and that costs big cash. I would guess if the head swap is possible it would cost over 5k to perform and your warranty.

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:49 PM
Banned

That exspense would be more than a trade in for the SRT !

Old 10-27-2004 | 10:37 PM
|

5k is more than a trade for an srt 6? the new slk is almost as fast as the srt too, so your saving ten grand, even based on a completely guessed at number of 5k. and i wasnt referring to b series motors, but k series motors. they are the sizes i stated and line right up. of course extra work is required but in that app i describes its cost about 2k. 2.4 liter k series gets a 2.0 liter type r jdm k series head. Seems everyone is speculating, i was just wondering if anyone had any idea or not. not guesses......

Old 10-28-2004 | 10:56 AM
Banned

1st.head cost
2nd.labor
3.warrenty voided
4th.computer glitzes
5th resale value.
6th.our engine is 3.2
7th.for maybe 20-30 hp ?why
8th.good luck finding all parts again
9.i'll take the $ and buy an SRT.

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:29 PM
|

1st of all, im getting tired of people talking **** every time someone wants to modify there car. Second of all, then go buy an srt, but its like what 5ok, is it even out yet? 3rd, yeah probably about 30 hp, which would put you at around a hp to weight ratio of a 350 z. I dont care about the warranty and labor cost isn't an issue. I also plan on keeping this car forever. But that doesn't matter because i don't need to justify my question. If you have anything constructive to say then post it, but if you have so little things to do in your life that you must talk **** every time someone posts a question about increasing performance then shut the f*@k up. This forum is getting more and more annoying. Say it cost 3-4k. Thats alot, yes, but startech charges 5k for fugging cams that will give you 15hp tops. Use your head, no one here who has said "i'd get an srt instead" can afford one realistically, or else they would have got one. And just like everyone else who's been criticized, i wouldnt get the srt anyway because any man who considers himself a fan of sports cars would never buy an autofagic. Whatever, im convinced this is one of the least productive mechanical forums on the internet anyway. All the big talk everyone does, and no one has made a significant power upgrade yet. thanks anyways.

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:34 PM
Wink Re: head swap

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As the saying goes, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:35 PM
|

oh yeah and that response was in no way meant for c-plunkett or bullseye, mostly just dan root and others who do the same in forums dealing with power upgrades. i just checked too, and just so i wasnt spouting numbers out, the srt-6 is over 50 grand after tax and liscencse. my car was 28K after everything. So your telling me this head swap is going to cost 22k? get a clue.................

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:37 PM
|

See but i didnt ask for opinions, i wanted to know if it was possible and what would be involved. Dan Roots answer would sorta be like if a kid asked him where his elbow was and he pointed to his ***.

Old 10-28-2004 | 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed
oh yeah and that response was in no way meant for c-plunkett or bullseye, mostly just dan root and others who do the same in forums dealing with power upgrades. i just checked too, and just so i wasnt spouting numbers out, the srt-6 is over 50 grand after tax and liscencse. my car was 28K after everything. So your telling me this head swap is going to cost 22k? get a clue.................

I agree with you completely. Every time i mention mods, someone says should have waited for the srt-6. Not just in the forum either, every where. A few things keep me from doing that as of right now. 1. my car is worth less wholesale than a srt-4 stickers for and thats with 1600miles on it. Nothing like adding 7k to a lease or a loan. 2. The srt-6 is big cash, only reason i consider it, in a while i may can get a really cheap lease payment on it, like i did my XF. but if im spending that kinda cash, i'm buying either a C6 or preferably a base m3. 3. I have come to the realization, i am stuck in my own personal hell, with a car that needs full throttle constantly to feel like i am actually going somewhere, not to mention my leg keeps on falling asleep on drives longer than 15minutes, and I cant mod it! there is nothing i can do to this. 5k is still too much for 30hp no matter how you look at X'ed. My buddy and I were looking at and there really isnt room for a turbo kit. Would have mount underneath the car like a TT vette or f-body. So we are thinking about centrifical supercharger, i think its doable. I have to really try right now to keep up with my dad in his accord v-6. Thats just sad. ANd for this dang 3.2 to be so "hi-tech" its putting out almost nothing. A taurus 3.0 put out 220hp in 1989. And here a 35k car with 215hp. And they wonder why this car didnt sell. Really the best way to go faster is to buy something else which is my biggest emphisis right now. Looking for a AWD dsm. It will serve my winter car and my speedy car. I use to think my biggest mistake was buying my 2000 S2000, well I out did myself. THe biggest mistake was jumping in and buying this Crossfire. But now i have to live with my mistake. What can i say i'm a speed freak. Just my .02 ok maybe .25

Last edited by Bullseye; 10-28-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2004 | 10:25 PM
|

Yeah you know i love this car, personally, i really do. I just need like 40 more hp. Everytime I offer a way that makes it possible people go off on tangents about how its a waste of money and to go buy something else blah blah blah. If i do find a way to increase performance substantially in a price effective manner, i probably wont even post it, just pm people like you and saskins who are generally interested in improving this cars performance and being constructive, not trying to alienate half the forum because they want a faster car.

Old 10-28-2004 | 10:31 PM
Talking Re: head swap

Yeah you know i love this car, personally, i really do. I just need like 40 more hp. Everytime I offer a way that makes it possible people go off on tangents about how its a waste of money and to go buy something else blah blah blah. If i do find a way to increase performance substantially in a price effective manner, i probably wont even post it, just pm people like you and saskins who are generally interested in improving this cars performance and being constructive, not trying to alienate half the forum because they want a faster car.

The car isnt that bad like you, just wish it had about 50 more ponies. And i would be happy. when you do find a price effective way to boost the HP let me know plz. BUt right now im at a stand still. You have to admit a AWD dsm is tempting

Old 10-28-2004 | 10:36 PM
|

you know ive always been into the first gen dsm's. i always wanted a talon growin up but ive heard they were built in the us so id probably go with an eclipse. Road RAce engineering is also only a couple hours from where i live which would make it tempting because they are pretty much the premier dsm tuner in california. Im personally a rotary guy though and if i do build another turbo rotary it would probably be a 91 T2 rx7, one of my dream cars. Best thing about it is a full rebuild with 3mm apex seals and a nice thorough porting only runs about 2500 and your looking at a car that can handle 450 plus hp. anyways, the first thing to do for me is get the money together and decide wether i want to supercharge this car or buy an all out beast, but im sorta over the quarter mile thing, so maybe a drifter or just a way faster car to feed my need.

Old 10-28-2004 | 11:12 PM

you know ive always been into the first gen dsm's. i always wanted a talon growin up but ive heard they were built in the us so id probably go with an eclipse. Road RAce engineering is also only a couple hours from where i live which would make it tempting because they are pretty much the premier dsm tuner in california. Im personally a rotary guy though and if i do build another turbo rotary it would probably be a 91 T2 rx7, one of my dream cars. Best thing about it is a full rebuild with 3mm apex seals and a nice thorough porting only runs about 2500 and your looking at a car that can handle 450 plus hp. anyways, the first thing to do for me is get the money together and decide wether i want to supercharge this car or buy an all out beast, but im sorta over the quarter mile thing, so maybe a drifter or just a way faster car to feed my need.
All dsms were made in Normal, IL including the laser and the other 2. Believe it or not i almost bought an evo. need body work and a trans, comes in handy to know a wholesaler. Too bad was sold the prior week and was waiting for pickup.

Old 10-29-2004 | 07:26 AM
|

I never knew that. You know what would be about the tightest car to get as a cult super sleeper all time favorite is the 1991 galant vr4, of which i think 1 or 2 thousand were made. I almost got one a few years back but was outbid on ebay last second. it went for about 4500. they were basically evo's with four doors (they were coupes' back then). I guess you could call it the predecessor of today's evo. Turbo mag. had one a few years back and with about 4 k into it they were up to 400hp at all four wheels. These are all pipe dreams though as my real goal is to power up the xfire, i want to make it a dedicated track car in about 2 years, strip everything, and hopefully get power from a source a member is looking into (i wont say who he is or where it may come from, but he attempted to discuss it in great detail before) and hopefully be looking, one day, at a 350 hp rwd true coupe that tilts in at about 25-2600 lbs. And american, without a solid beam rear axle. Thats my real dream........................
sometimes dreams come true............................
mike

Old 10-29-2004 | 10:51 AM
Banned

I believe there's engine mods available from Startech or others and since the they have $$$$$$$to build them have at it .Just remember your working on a $7k-10k driveline and if it's still under warrenty it won't be after your mods in your garage ! If you think my warnings are stupid then have at it.The ECU upgrade and airintakes are available and do add about 30HP cost less than $1k.These don't harm the warrenty so far.
My idea of having a fast modern car is buy it with all you want.Don't try to mickey a great car. As for the XF being a loss I think you're wrong it's one of the best values I've owned .I've had a year and still get compliments almost every day I drive it.

Good luck .
That's why they make Hondas.

Quick Reply: head swap