Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Well after MONTHS of issues/FINALLY getting RESOLVED! Have NOW run into MORE issues!

Old 07-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well after MONTHS of issues/FINALLY getting RESOLVED! Have NOW run into MORE issues!

Hey there,

Yes unfortunately its me back with a new set of problems after spending months on here trying to get the "big nightmare problems" sorted out. Since I got that major problem resolved I have been fine for a month or 2 but now I have starting having different issues today.....just my luck :/

Now onto the problems I received today, I went to the post office and as I live in Wales (lots of hills) I parked uphill and its quite steep. Came out to the car, turned on and put it in reverse and it stopped....I can only describe it similar to when you stall! I therefore put car back in park and tried turning on the engine, it will keep making the noise continuously like its was cranking to start but would after like 5 or so clicks it will not start! In the end thought this issue could be because it was on a steep hill and maybe not enough fuel....but after 2 trips to the fuel station in a friends car to get fuel the car still won't start! We then arrange for recovery to come out, but just before they are due to arrive I try starting the engine (after roughly 30 mins of the car sitting cold) it starts. I then turn it off and try it another few times and starts fine each time....hmmm strange! I then go straight to the petrol station (just in case) and put a lot of fuel in, the run back home (roughly a mile) and then soon as I go to go up the steep hill onto the road I live in....it dies again!!

I have since had the recovery person arrive and look at it, he put on his obd scanner and it comes up with the code PO335 (as yellow engine light is on since this issue has happened) - he said this stands for "crankshaft position sensor". I have had a little look on here and it seems like this matches up with the issues I have been having and suppose it explains why it starts when it has been sitting for a while and infact it starts at the moment again since it has been sitting cold (not that I would dare drive it at the moment).

So based on this, would you say it will be this "crankshaft position sensor", I am hoping it is but as I have had VERY bad luck with this car and as many people know on this board I spend a fortune getting the "limp mode/abs module issue fixed month or so ago......so guess I am thinking is it really going to be this simply this time as being this crankshaft position sensor?

Any advice as usual would be appreciated!

Justin

Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: Well after MONTHS of issues/FINALLY getting RESOLVED! Have NOW run into MORE issu

Originally Posted by jtaylortech3
Hey there,

Yes unfortunately its me back with a new set of problems after spending months on here trying to get the "big nightmare problems" sorted out. Since I got that major problem resolved I have been fine for a month or 2 but now I have starting having different issues today.....just my luck :/

Now onto the problems I received today, I went to the post office and as I live in Wales (lots of hills) I parked uphill and its quite steep. Came out to the car, turned on and put it in reverse and it stopped....I can only describe it similar to when you stall! I therefore put car back in park and tried turning on the engine, it will keep making the noise continuously like its was cranking to start but would after like 5 or so clicks it will not start! In the end thought this issue could be because it was on a steep hill and maybe not enough fuel....but after 2 trips to the fuel station in a friends car to get fuel the car still won't start! We then arrange for recovery to come out, but just before they are due to arrive I try starting the engine (after roughly 30 mins of the car sitting cold) it starts. I then turn it off and try it another few times and starts fine each time....hmmm strange! I then go straight to the petrol station (just in case) and put a lot of fuel in, the run back home (roughly a mile) and then soon as I go to go up the steep hill onto the road I live in....it dies again!!

I have since had the recovery person arrive and look at it, he put on his obd scanner and it comes up with the code PO335 (as yellow engine light is on since this issue has happened) - he said this stands for "crankshaft position sensor". I have had a little look on here and it seems like this matches up with the issues I have been having and suppose it explains why it starts when it has been sitting for a while and infact it starts at the moment again since it has been sitting cold (not that I would dare drive it at the moment).

So based on this, would you say it will be this "crankshaft position sensor", I am hoping it is but as I have had VERY bad luck with this car and as many people know on this board I spend a fortune getting the "limp mode/abs module issue fixed month or so ago......so guess I am thinking is it really going to be this simply this time as being this crankshaft position sensor?

Any advice as usual would be appreciated!

Justin
Well, luckily, the CPS issue ( if it is that ) is easy to fix, and not too expensive.
It is about a 20-30 minute DIY project, and should cost between $45 and $65 ( US ).
Just make sure you get a Bosch sensor.
There are threads on here about the DIY with pictures.

You don't necessarily need a 'Chrysler' part, any Bosch CPS for a MB 112 engine is the same.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Default Re: Well after MONTHS of issues/FINALLY getting RESOLVED! Have NOW run into MORE issu

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Well, luckily, the CPS issue ( if it is that ) is easy to fix, and not too expensive.
It is about a 20-30 minute DIY project, and should cost between $45 and $65 ( US ).
Just make sure you get a Bosch sensor.
There are threads on here about the DIY with pictures.

You don't necessarily need a 'Chrysler' part, any Bosch CPS for a MB 112 engine is the same.

Yeah good news that this part is not expensive atleast (makes a change) and hopefully it is that then. Not sure where I would get the part from in the UK but will to have a look around! So just to verify, based on what I have said and fact the check engine light comes on and shows this "crankshaft position sensor" code is that a pretty much a given that this will be the issue? Or can the obd scanners sometimes be wrong with the code it shows? (sorry if that sounds like stupid question but not familiar the obd scanners until recently).

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 07-22-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM

Yeah good news that this part is not expensive atleast (makes a change) and hopefully it is that then. Not sure where I would get the part from in the UK but will to have a look around! So just to verify, based on what I have said and fact the check engine light comes on and shows this "crankshaft position sensor" code is that a pretty much a given that this will be the issue? Or can the obd scanners sometimes be wrong with the code it shows? (sorry if that sounds like stupid question but not familiar the obd scanners until recently).

Thanks,
Justin
Manual says : P0335 -
When Monitored: Engine cranking or running.
Set Condition: No Crankshaft Position (CKP) signal is present during engine cranking and at least 8 Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) signals have occurred.

Looks to me like a bad harness connection or a bad CPS sensor ......

Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

Yea, this one may be the most clear-but problem of all! The CPS tends to get irritated by heat - so when it cools off, it runs - when it gets hot, it doesn't!

It is a COMMON problem, so many go bad that I and a few others carry a spare because we just KNOW it's likely to fail!

As Alax said, get a BOSCH one! You can order them online here in the states, I'd think you could order them over there, too. Any Mercedes with an M112 engine (and I think a few other engines) all take the same part. The right part number has changed a few times, but if you look in our thread where we have a lot of common parts listed, you will find the right number.

If I was home, I'd give you the number off the one I bought, but I'm 900 miles from home right now.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Sounds like the older numbers are:

003 153 27 28
003 153 28 28

It may have changed again... not sure.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 AM

Thanks for reply and information. I have checked with big well known part store near me and they have this part in stock but they said its made by Lucas? Has someone heard of this part (apparently its well know make over here in UK according to my friend) so would that part be ok or does it have to be a bosch part? Thanks

Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM

Thanks for reply and information. I have checked with big well known part store near me and they have this part in stock but they said its made by Lucas? Has someone heard of this part (apparently its well know make over here in UK according to my friend) so would that part be ok or does it have to be a bosch part? Thanks
The reason for the Bosch recommendation is that several forum members ( including me ) bought cheap Chinese copies from the internet. They had quality issues, some didn't work at all upon installation, some failed soon after.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 AM

ala_xfire - Thanks for the information and oh ok I didn't realise it was a cheap chinese copy from the internet which was causing the problems. In that case I am assuming the Lucas one that the big parts store near me has should be fine. As Lucas is a really reputable brand in the UK that has been around for over 100 years, so am tempted to go buy this one!

Wish there was someone from the UK on here that can verify thou that this brand/part would be fine to get as obviously don't want to waste my money on this if it wouldn't be any good.

Thanks,
Justin

Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Administrator

If you can go SEE it first, see if it is indeed a re-packed Bosch.

German Auto Supply, autohaus (in Arizona) and Needswings - all of these I THINK carry them, but they are all in the States.

You MIGHT try a Mercedes dealership and use the MB part numbers I gave you... just a thought.
I can't beleive a MB dealership would sell anyhting but the OEM Bosch.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM

I was on a 'watch list' for a Bosch CPS at Amazon. They notified me when they had it (several). You might try Amazon, Justin.

Alicia

Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM

I was going to get that Lucas part but I spoke to a Chryslers breakers (who did the work on my car before) and they have the part. Ironically its going to work out slightly more expensive (still not bad thou) to get it from there but as its from a Crossfire its atleast a genuine part and I feel I have more piece of mind knowing that its the right part (which guessing would be bosch) considering its from a crossfire. They are sending it to me by next day so should hopefully be here tomorrow! fingers crossed.

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 07-23-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to get that Lucas part but I spoke to a Chryslers breakers (who did the work on my car before) and they have the part. Ironically its going to work out slightly more expensive (still not bad thou) to get it from there but as its from a Crossfire its atleast a genuine part and I feel I have more piece of mind knowing that its the right part (which guessing would be bosch) considering its from a crossfire. They are sending it to me by next day so should hopefully be here tomorrow! fingers crossed.
Unless the previous owners replaced the CPS with a non-Bosch part. Can the shipper look at it and see if it is in fact a Bosch before it is shipped?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RL67037
Unless the previous owners replaced the CPS with a non-Bosch part. Can the shipper look at it and see if it is in fact a Bosch before it is shipped?
Its the original part yes so its bound to be Bosch but did ask them and they believed it was. Like I said in previous post, I have ordered it now anyway but either way this will be best option as I atleast know this is right part!

Fingers crossed it resolves the issue tomorrow when this part arrives, hopefully its not too difficult to put on.

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 07-23-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM

UPDATE

As mentioned previously I bought the part from a chrysler breakers, it did arrive today and after removing the part from my car I can confirm that it was a Bosch part and they were both completely identical! I installed the new part in my car, which wasn't too hard to do (and I am very amateur at doing these things) but I would say it was more awkward than hard to do!

Anyway after putting in the new part, I connected my OBD scanner and erased the code. I then drove the car for nearly 30 miles (including all the steep hills in Wales) and I didn't have any issues on the "test drive".The engine warning light and no codes (even pending ones) came back on so it hopefully does seem like this has fixed the problem! (PHEW) "touch wood"!!

Thanks,
Justin

Old 10-11-2015, 06:59 PM

I had the same problem P0335 and the Car would stall after about 8 minutes and would not start until it cooled off. I changed the crankshaft position sensor, and then the Camshaft position sensor...still had the problem. I even tried to solder the connections per the mystery no start video. I then replaced the Relay control module ($179 at NAPA), and it fixed everything!!

Old 11-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Well, it worked for a while. Then, after putting the top up and drivino away, the windows mysteriously went down, and the convertible switch started blinking and bčeping. It did stall after about 10 minutes, but restarted ok. We then went to shopping, and it would not start when we were done. We waited about another 30 minutes, and it started, albeit with a check engine light. I have found that the CEL goes away with the top down. But I run into the same problems when I put the top back up. It appears the the car thinks the top is not fully closed?? Not sure what to do next?

Old 11-27-2015, 01:26 AM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vspuds
Well, it worked for a while. Then, after putting the top up and drivino away, the windows mysteriously went down, and the convertible switch started blinking and bčeping. It did stall after about 10 minutes, but restarted ok. We then went to shopping, and it would not start when we were done. We waited about another 30 minutes, and it started, albeit with a check engine light. I have found that the CEL goes away with the top down. But I run into the same problems when I put the top back up. It appears the the car thinks the top is not fully closed?? Not sure what to do next?
Have any of the modules gotten wet?

Old 11-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by vspuds
What is the engine code(s).