Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

RADIO MAKING A POP NOISE WHEN TURED ON

Old 08-05-2004 | 01:03 PM
Default RADIO MAKING A POP NOISE WHEN TURED ON

Well this is my first problem on my 2 month old Xfire. It supprises me becase it feels like a very well built car. Every time you turn the car on there is a loud pop noise from the right side woofer. Its already at the dealer and I will post the result for future refrence.

Funny thing while I was droping off the car there was an other guy with the exact same car. He said he had taken his car in for the wind noise tsb and had to return becase in the proses of working on the wind noise they TORE his speaker!!!!! 5* never stops suprising me!!

Old 08-05-2004 | 01:47 PM
Forum Regular

Roms,

You didn't say whether your music system is on or off when you turn the car, or does it pop in either setting?

My cinema surround speakers used to pop when I turned on the juice, but a Belkin surge protected lead sorted it out. If you don't have anything self-installed which is electromagnetic near the speaker, then you are probably sending an electric current to the speaker magnet, which causes the pop, when you start the car. Since it only does it once, the car is not sending the current repeatedly. Dealer should be able detect what is sending the current and ground it out for you.

Old 08-06-2004 | 02:20 PM
Anonymous

Bob this happens with the radio on. I don't have anything on the car yet thats electrical. This type of thing to me is really not that big a deal but since I am going to chip the car thou I wanted all the elec in order. The car is still there maybe I'll get it later today.

Old 08-06-2004 | 04:22 PM
Anonymous

It turns out the noise is also made with the radio off and 5* will be replacing radio

Old 08-14-2004 | 02:54 PM
Anonymous

Just had radio replaced left dealer no pop when car is turned on the got home and sure as hell off or on it goes pop every time I turn it on. Now the subwoofer is blown hope to get it fixed by monday. I hope there are no elec problems since I plan on chipping the car, any feedback on chipped car and elec issues or non issues

Old 08-14-2004 | 08:16 PM

Sounds a bit like the amplifier may be to blame. The amp is a separate box from the radio head unit. It gets turned on when the head unit is turned on.

The chip mod changes the spark and fuel air maps in the control unit, there are no changes to hardware, so no system wide electrical effect are really possible.

Old 08-16-2004 | 02:04 PM

SeaXfire, that was my initial thought. It was either the amp or a bad ground some where. But I let them play with the car since the give a free loaner. I am a little tired of this however so I'll tell them that if it is the amp it probally blow the woofer again so they hould replace both. Thanks for your feedback by the way is your car chipped?

Old 08-16-2004 | 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SeaXfire
The chip mod changes the spark and fuel air maps in the control unit, there are no changes to hardware, so no system wide electrical effect are really possible.
That is, if the person doing the mod knows what they're doing. Recall that Boba's first attempt the mod guy fried his car :!: