Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Engine Mount (Polyurethane Fill)

Old 05-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine Mount (Polyurethane Fill)

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
So far the E55 mounts show no sign of failure. Still solid and I drive this pretty hard. (manual shifting a lot).

I would say for reliability the E55 mounts. Not sure if the cable would be necessary.
So the E55 motor mounts are a direct fit huh? I know what's next on my list.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I got the old ones out. Only took two hours and I was fiddling around a lot and taking my time. Not quite sure what the fuss was all about.

The main thing is if your hands and forearms are really big and meaty, you will have a VERY hard time. I have average to small hands and forearms, so it wasn't too bad. Get a skinny youngster to get the top bolts loose.

Steps for removal:

1. Get the vehicle high enough to work under. (Block tires, set parking brake, etc. SAFETY FIRST!)
2. Remove the front retaining clip and four 8mm bolts holding on the under pan.
3. Remove the under pan.
4. On the driver side (Left in the USA), disconnect the steering stabilizer and close it up a bit. You may have to turn the wheels to the right half a turn to clear the steering arm with the bolt.

5. I used a craftsman 3/8" socket wrench (pictured) and a 16mm six sided socket to loosen the top bolt. Once broken free, it removes along with the heat shield.

6. On the passenger side (Right side USA), remove the heat shield around the steering arm linkage to the frame by removing the 8mm screw and 8mm nut holding it on. This gives you more clearance to work.
7. Using a 16mm open end box wrench (Craftsman again), use the box end (angled neck) break loose the top bolt and remove it and the heat shield.
8. Remove the 14mm bolt under the cross member near the lower A arms on either side.

9. Lift the engine, either by jacking from below with a 2x6 or 2x4 across to distribute the weight across the pan or from above with an engine hoist utilizing the bolt locations in the super charger. You will have to lift about a full inch or more to get clearance to actually remove the mounts as there is lots of steering components blocking access on the driver side. The passenger side can be slipped out the front just behind the alternator.

As you can see, my driver's side mount looks good... until you separate the broken pieces.

The mounts that were sent are taller by about 3/8". I will attempt to install these as they look completely undamaged and seem heavy enough to still be full of fluid. They will certainly be better than the broken one I have.

More to come!
Thanks, MMZ! Just finished installing new mounts and your DIY was a time saver.

Appreciate it!

Old 06-21-2014, 03:12 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

You are quite welcome ToneRaider! Glad it was useful. Still haven't had time or energy to pursue Urethane mounts further. *sigh*

So far the other mounts are holding up... "If it ain't broke... "

Old 06-21-2014, 04:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are quite welcome ToneRaider! Glad it was useful. Still haven't had time or energy to pursue Urethane mounts further. *sigh*

So far the other mounts are holding up... "If it ain't broke... "

And just remind me MMZ_TimeLord...that would be the E55 mounts - yeh?
What mods you got these days (tq they are being exposed to) and, do you still like to drive it hard these days....?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Billy22Bob,

I was told they came out of an SLK32. I doubt it, but without a set of SLK32 factory mounts for comparison, I can't be sure.

Based on the limited pictures I have seen, I think they are E55 mounts, but I would have to order a set to be sure.

Sorry, if that was vague, but that's what I got.

As to the mods, not much has changed. I still "Drive it like I stole it" as one member says, so yeah, still lots of fun.

Cheers!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 PM

So far the E55 mounts show no sign of failure. Still solid and I drive this pretty hard. (manual shifting a lot).

I would say for reliability the E55 mounts. Not sure if the cable would be necessary.
Do you experience abnormal vibrations when in gear and stopped? I installed what appears to be exactly the same mounts (E55) and when I come to a stop and in gear my car vibrates more than normal. Now, that being said, I have not really driven this car before I changed the mounts. So maybe its not the mounts. I just wonder if you experience this as well.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 PM

Hey guys,

I am going to be installing the E55 Engine Mounts onto my regular ole Crossfire Roadster (Not an SRT6) tomorrow morning. I'm assuming that these should work just as they did for MMZ_TimeLord.

Does that sound like a safe assumption? I have the driver's side cabled down right now, so I can always wait and order the actual part for the 05' Crossfire from NeedSwings if needed.

Thanks,

Old 10-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Should work, good luck.
Stock up on Band-Aids.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:08 PM

Groovy. Thx ala_xfire. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I am sure it will be lots of fun based on the posts that I have seen about these mounts. lol I will probably go ahead and put the cable back on as well when we are done.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 PM

Good luck. The tranny mount is easy, the engine mount are PITA! Keep in mind E55 mounts will raise your engine by about 1/4 inch. At least thats what mine seems to be.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

who has pics of the cable tie down procedure. I plan to do new mounts in my limited anyway but until then, I want to have a drive experience that is smooth as possible. My Limited has 145K and I am not sure if the previous owner has had them done. I can't say I feel the engine shaking but I plan to make the car "like new" from a suspension, bushing, mount stand point. It's a cheap replacement with stock components and I don't think I need anything stronger than stock for my lil ole limited roadster even though it's tuned up and ready to run.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realized my engine mount was blown when the shift lever started moving about.
Unfortunately that was too late and the accentuated engine twisting damaged my SLK32 engine cover, drivers side (US) air filter case and some mirrored markings on my bonnet liner.
Anyone with any replacements for a good price - much appreciated...I'd like to get the bay back to original nick.

b22b

Old 11-02-2014, 03:58 PM

Put the E55 Engine Mounts in on Saturday.

Took us about 4 hours from start to finish.
Pretty much just followed the instructions in this thread. Thank you for the great write up TimeLord.

We went and borrowed an engine hoist, but ended up just jacking up the engine with a 2x8 under the pan. Old mounts came out fairly easily, but getting the new wider E55 mounts in took some doing. Had to rock the engine around a bit to give us clearance to get them into place. (We did not want to jack the engine up to high.) Once they were seated, the bolts popped right in. Just have to be sure to line up the little tabs on the top of the mounts into the notches on the engine as you lower the engine down on them.

My shifter **** still has a little bit of movement during acceleration. Possibly because we did not change the tranny mount yet???

Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

OK . . . I read through this entire thread as well as the TEAMZX2 thread linked within. So my conclusion is NOT to bother filling the engine mounts with polyurethane but rather simply replace our stock engine mounts with Mercedes E55 engine mounts . . . is that the current consensus of opinion?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 PM

What REDDOG asked...on mounts what part # or what year E55 mounts? Does anyone have a MB # for the transmission mount?
Thanks

Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

55K Engines mounts - 2202402717
55K Trans mount - 2122400418

Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by cuervoacres
What REDDOG asked...on mounts what part # or what year E55 mounts? Does anyone have a MB # for the transmission mount?
Thanks
I bought my parts from Autozone since I was in a hurry to get this done. (I had a date the next day that I did not want to miss, lol)

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG Motor Mount (Manufacturer: Duralast) (Part#: 9562)(Price: $81.99 Each)

Chrysler Crossfire Tranny Mount (Manufacturer: Duralast) (Part#: 9268)(Price: $47.99)

Update on the Install:
I mentioned that I still had some movement in the shifter **** a couple of days after replacing these mounts. Turns out that I ended up losing the bolt out of the bottom of the driver's side mount. I went to Autozone the other day and rigged up a new bolt and washer and replaced it. All good now. Back to putting my foot in it off of the line with no movement.
Be sure to snug these puppies down good and use some loctite. I even used a locking washer to be sure that it did not come loose again. I left the cable off for now. If I have issues again, I may put that back on.

Good luck guys and be safe. Speaking of which, when I jacked up the engine I placed a small block of wood between the bottom of the engine/tranny and the frame in case the jack gave out so that my hand would not get trapped. You have to get all up in there to replace these things and that always spooks me.

Next Step for Me:
Find time to change out the Tranny Mount that I bought.

Ciao for Niao!

Old 11-25-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 05-10-2015, 12:35 PM

I did both motor mounts last weekend using this guide. It's not too fun but with patience it's doable. I used the E55 AMG engine mounts, one from Advance Auto and one from Autozone. Both had part #9562 and both looked identical with the same number stamped on the white cover shrouds. I did not install the mount with the white polymer cover shroud. I just used the factory metal heat shields. PM me if you have any questions on the job. Thanks for the guide TimeLord.

Thanks, Chris

Old 11-03-2017, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by XFireCrazy
Hey guys,

I am going to be installing the E55 Engine Mounts onto my regular ole Crossfire Roadster (Not an SRT6) tomorrow morning. I'm assuming that these should work just as they did for MMZ_TimeLord.

Does that sound like a safe assumption? I have the driver's side cabled down right now, so I can always wait and order the actual part for the 05' Crossfire from NeedSwings if needed.

Thanks,
how'd those mounts work out?

Quick Reply: Engine Mount (Polyurethane Fill)